Ash by Malinda Lo

by Malinda Lo

Member:terriko
Title:Ash
Authors:Malinda Lo
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 272 pages
Rating:*****

Ash by Malinda Lo

The Dark Wife by Sarah Diemer (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Another old story (this time, the Greek myth of Persephone) retold as a romance between two young women.
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (Kerian)
    Phoenix and Ashes by Mercedes Lackey (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Both Cinderella reimaginings with similar atmospheres, although Ash is more fairy-ish and Phoenix and Ashes is about magicians and WWI.
    Silver Kiss by Naomi Clark (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Deftly told fantasy narrative (in this case dealing with werewolves), in which a lesbian relationship is done right.

English (134)  German (1)  All languages (135)
I was pretty disappointed in this one, to be honest. I was THRILLED about the idea of Cinderella being a lesbian, ditching the prince (and also the faerie prince!) and hooking up with the huntress. Brilliant!

Except the characters didn't feel real to me at all. The story didn't draw me in. I was skimming the surface of this novel with no ability to sink into it. I frankly didn't care about Ash, or Kaisa. I wanted them to get together on principle, but felt they had no chemistry. Or personality, for that matter.

Disappointing. ( )
  ariel.kirst | Nov 14, 2014 |
I'm sorry..I can't. I kept trying to read it but the writing is too much to handle > - > ( )
  ku. | Sep 20, 2014 |
This was a fantastic re-telling of the Cinderella story with a realistic and sympathetic lesbian bent. If I were to write a paper on it, I think I would discuss representations of patriarchy as embodied by the fairies, the hierarchy, and the family unit.

raselyem7 | Aug 30, 2014 |
is a retelling of Cinderella, but add in a fairy and a huntress. Aislin (a.k.a. Ash) is treated as a servant by her stepmother and two stepsisters after her father dies, only a short time after he married her stepmother. Lucky for Ash, her stepmother and stepsisters go into the city often, to try to secure the prince as a husband for the older stepsister. While they are away, it gives Ash a chance to escape into the Woods, where she can meet up with a fairy who knew her mother, or the king's huntress, who Ash has become friends with.

It was good. Quick to read and enjoyable. There is a sequel, but I'm not sure if I liked it enough to continue with it. Ash ended with a twist on the end of the original Cinderella story, so the sequel shouldn't have anything to do with the fairy tale (I don't think). ( )
  LibraryCin | Jul 8, 2014 |
I especially loved the lush language of Ash, though I could easily see another reader connecting most with another of the book's wonderful qualities. There are so many things to love about this book, which gives it a very broad appeal. Each reader may focus on something in particular

A reader most interested in the story might be focused on how closely Melinda Lo follows the traditional Cinderalla story versus how she veers away from it. There is a unique challenge that comes with any retelling, which is that the book is automatically set up to be compared to and judged against the original, or the version that is most well known. The story, in this case, asks the reader to allow the author to play with around with what they may be expecting, and to perhaps turn it on its head a bit. The setting of this will be familiar to fantasy readers. It has a sense of being set in the past, in a world where time moves much more slowly and electronics are rare if they exist at all.

Yet this is not historical fiction -- the setting is in neither a specific time or place that relates to our actual world. Not all readers who are focused on the setting are looking for the same thing, so a reader who prefers a realistic setting will not likely be interested in Ash.

The main character in this book is well-developed -- we know more about Ash herself than of all the other characters put together. We learn about her thoughts, feelings, actions, desires. A reader who relates to her will undoubtedly love this book more than one who cannot sympathize with her experience.
  MCHBurke | Jul 7, 2014 |
Malinda Lo’s somber and lovely “Ash” is a lesbian retelling of “Cinderella”... It features a beautiful orphan — Ash, short for Aisling, and a perfect play on the name “Cinderella” — a ­cruel, social-climbing stepmother and two sneering stepsisters. Lo gives us a vaguely medieval setting, royal hunts, grand balls and an unquestioned class hierarchy. Not until the introduction of Kaisa, the king’s gorgeous young huntress, do we get a spin on tradition.

In memory of my grandmother,

Ruth Earnshaw Lo

(1910-2006)
Aisling's mother died at midsummer.

From Barnes and Nobel

SynopsisIn the wake of her father's death, Ash is left at the mercy of her cruel stepmother. Consumed with grief, her only joy comes by the light of the dying hearth fire, rereading the fairy tales her mother once told her. In her dreams, someday the fairies will steal her away, as they are said to do. When she meets the dark and dangerous fairy Sidhean, she believes that her wish may be granted.The day that Ash meets Kaisa, the King's Huntress, her heart begins to change. Instead of chasing fairies, Ash learns to hunt with Kaisa. Though their friendship is as delicate as a new bloom, it reawakens Ash's capacity for love-and her desire to live. But Sidhean has already claimed Ash for his own, and she must make a choice between fairy tale dreams and true love.Entrancing, empowering, and romantic, Ash is about the connection between life and love, and solitude and death, where transformation can come from even the deepest grief.

In this variation on the Cinderella story, Ash grows up believing in the fairy realm that the king and his philosophers have sought to suppress, until one day she must choose between a handsome fairy cursed to love her and the King's Huntress whom she loves.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,941,171 books! | Top bar: Always visible