Ash by Malinda Lo

by Malinda Lo

Member:terriko
Title:Ash
Authors:Malinda Lo
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 272 pages
Rating:*****

Ash by Malinda Lo

The Dark Wife by S.E. Diemer (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Another old story (this time, the Greek myth of Persephone) retold as a romance between two young women.
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (Kerian)
    Phoenix and Ashes by Mercedes Lackey (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Both Cinderella reimaginings with similar atmospheres, although Ash is more fairy-ish and Phoenix and Ashes is about magicians and WWI.
    Silver Kiss by Naomi Clark (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Deftly told fantasy narrative (in this case dealing with werewolves), in which a lesbian relationship is done right.

English (149)  German (1)  All languages (150)
While well written, and a good story, this book just wasn't what I was expecting. I think it's probably a great book for some though. It started of slow, was kind of hard for me to get into it. Also, some of the names are difficult to pronounce and I found myself constantly looking up how they were said. The story itself is sweet and definitely a spin off of Cinderella that I hadn't seen even attempted before. I would have liked to see the same sort of story, only perhaps set in more modern times. All in all, it was a good book, I don't have anything bad to say about it, it just wasn't one that I'd call a favorite. If you like fairy tale retellings, especially that involve actual fairies, you'll probably like this book. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
Retelling of Cinderella, in which the prince may not be all sweetness and light (and her fairy godmother teaches her to hunt).
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Lovely prose, nice world building, natural character development, and relationships that grew at a realistic pace. All which are easy to miss in fairy tale re-interpretations! Mostly, though I wanted MORE, which is why I gave it three stars. More about the huntress, specifically, pleaseplease! Her job, her life, her dreams for the future. I felt like her and Ash had these relationship building conversations, but we didn't get the transcripts and I WANT them. Also, I am dying to know more about the fairies! (Which means I will be reading [b:Huntress|9415946|Huntress|Malinda Lo|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1306722698s/9415946.jpg|13022195] … nicely played Lo, nicely played.)

While I love fairy tales, Cinderella is far from my favorite, which often impacts my enjoyment of this type of book. This book did a good job of overcoming my common complaints; though Ash is isolated and in an abusive terrible situation, she still is allowed to have positive (non romantic) relationships, I also enjoyed that Ash was awkward and shy and talked back to her stepmother, and the idea that the fairies would expect something in return for their gifts was really interesting. All in all I thought it was a unique take on the Cinderella story (beyond the f/f romance).
  LadyBill | Jan 23, 2016 |
An interesting take on the Cinderella story, but I didn't like the writing style. I felt disconnected from the main characters. ( )
  keindi | Jan 23, 2016 |
This incarnation of the Cinderella story features Aisling (Ash) as a conflicted and oppressed young woman struggling to take control of her life from an evil stepmother while contemplating an escape with a fairy (Sidhean) cursed to love her. Further complicating matters is her attraction to Kaisa, the Royal Huntress.

Set in a non-specific magical realm where faith and science vie for dominance, *Ash* readily conforms to most conventions of the fairy tale genre. What makes it distinct is the absolute dominance of female characters—with the exception of a few minor male characters (e.g., since it’s a Cinderella story, a Prince is pretty much required) and Sidhean the fairy, whose gender is nearly irrelevant. By adapting the familiar fairy tale format, this young adult novel depicts a young woman who overcomes oppression and empowers herself to determine her own fate and seek happiness that does not depend on a male presence in her life. While the pastoral setting and the passages of extended lyrical prose might bore some readers—there is a noticeable lack of “action” and narration far exceeds dialogue—*Ash* is a powerful tale of female young adult agency. ( )
  jimrgill | Nov 29, 2015 |
Malinda Lo’s somber and lovely “Ash” is a lesbian retelling of “Cinderella”... It features a beautiful orphan — Ash, short for Aisling, and a perfect play on the name “Cinderella” — a ­cruel, social-climbing stepmother and two sneering stepsisters. Lo gives us a vaguely medieval setting, royal hunts, grand balls and an unquestioned class hierarchy. Not until the introduction of Kaisa, the king’s gorgeous young huntress, do we get a spin on tradition.

In memory of my grandmother,

Ruth Earnshaw Lo

(1910-2006)
Aisling's mother died at midsummer.

From Barnes and Nobel

SynopsisIn the wake of her father's death, Ash is left at the mercy of her cruel stepmother. Consumed with grief, her only joy comes by the light of the dying hearth fire, rereading the fairy tales her mother once told her. In her dreams, someday the fairies will steal her away, as they are said to do. When she meets the dark and dangerous fairy Sidhean, she believes that her wish may be granted.The day that Ash meets Kaisa, the King's Huntress, her heart begins to change. Instead of chasing fairies, Ash learns to hunt with Kaisa. Though their friendship is as delicate as a new bloom, it reawakens Ash's capacity for love-and her desire to live. But Sidhean has already claimed Ash for his own, and she must make a choice between fairy tale dreams and true love.Entrancing, empowering, and romantic, Ash is about the connection between life and love, and solitude and death, where transformation can come from even the deepest grief.

In this variation on the Cinderella story, Ash grows up believing in the fairy realm that the king and his philosophers have sought to suppress, until one day she must choose between a handsome fairy cursed to love her and the King's Huntress whom she loves.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,264,104 books! | Top bar: Always visible