The Fruit Bowl Project by Sarah Durkee

The Fruit Bowl Project

by Sarah Durkee

This novel had a very interesting story line. The thought that went into the text and type of writing was really interesting to me. I liked the story line of the 8th graders preparing themselves within their writing workshop. Clever look at writing. Great for middle school writers.
  A.Smith | Nov 22, 2012 |
A group of students are given the task of telling the same story in their own way by a famous music star. Each student finds his/her unique perspective, and the teacher compiles their works.

The book would be a great inspiration and motivator for a similar class project. ( )
  Jill.Barrington | Nov 20, 2011 |
The idea of this book is interesting, and I can see using it in the classroom. The reading of it, however, was not that satisfying.

Given the basic components of a story, the gr.8 writing class was then asked to tell the story in their own way. I liked the freedom this gave to the students. Still, reading so many different versions of the same thing was a bit tedious. I wonder how I would actually use this? ( )
  rapago | Jul 28, 2011 |
Recommended Ages: Gr. 7-10

Plot Summary: A teacher brings a famous rock star to her class who teaches them they can have the same topic, but the way it's described is what adds the excitement, just like the way different painters would paint a bowl of fruit.

Setting:

Characters: a ton, but none really have any characterization except for the Nick Thompson, who is the famous rock star

Recurring Themes: wiritng styles,

Controversial Issues:
"crap" pg 21
ass pg 24
pg 25 "What's your most cherished possession? My sobriety.
pg 26 "Boxers or briefs?"
pg 29, 38 damn
pg 35, 53 hell
pg 36 be-atch
pg 38 ice-nay oobs-bay
pg 89 "I can clearly see your nuts!"

Personal Thoughts: Wow, this book was boring. I picked it up because our junior high boys kept checking it out and I didn't know why. I think it's because they don't have to read the whole thing in order to understand what happens because it's the same story over and over again for the last half of the book. I wouldn't recommend this book for class use because it has some inappropriate words and won't keep the interest, but the basic idea is interesting.

Genre: realistic fiction

Pacing: slow and boring, not element of suspense or even narrative arc to keep you reading to find out what happens

Characters:

Frame:
  pigeonlover | Dec 11, 2010 |
Hilarious!!! i loved it! all i could think of after reading this was.. "chicken nugget non-crispy!" (of course that was in the 6th grade.........) ( )
1 vote AxelleDarkleigh | Sep 16, 2010 |

Call it six degrees of separation. The kids in 8th Grade Writer’s Workshop are awestruck when their teacher announces that through her husband’s cousin, she’s met rock superstar Nick Thompson and has invited him to their class. He’s come to talk about writing and he’s even cooler than they imagined. Nick, known for his music as well as his lyrics, tells the kids his secret: A song is just a bowl of fruit–one must figure out how to paint it. Words are to a writer what paint is to a painter. How many ways can one arrange the fruit? An infinite number. There’s style, voice, genre, and much more to consider. Nick gives the kids two weeks to complete the assignment using seven seemingly ordinary elements. Each student must tell an interesting story, reflecting his or her style. And so The Fruit Bowl Project begins. Rap, poetry, monologue, screenplay, haiku, fairy tale–and more.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:19 -0400)

An admittedly "dork" middle-school teacher arranges for a rock superstar to teach her eighth-grade students, who each tell a story about the same topic, in the style of a rap, poem, monologue, screenplay, haiku, fairytale, and more.

Sarah Durkee is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,693,932 books! | Top bar: Always visible