Breathless: A Novel of Suspense by Dean…

Breathless: A Novel of Suspense (edition 2010)

by Dean Koontz

Member:charliet383
Title:Breathless: A Novel of Suspense
Authors:Dean Koontz
Info:Bantam (2010), Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages
Tags:dean koontz

Breathless by Dean Koontz

Review: Breathless by Dean Koontz. 07/19/2017

I felt like Dean Koontz strayed away from his usual creative organized style of writing in this book. I enjoyed it but I really needed to stay focus in order to keep up with all his sub-plots, characters in order to read how it all game together at the end. Koontz has a fascination with using animals in his stories and I feel that’s a plus. It seems like he step away from the intense science fiction, supernatural and horror that he used in his books. The main plot of this story was great but I could have read more text about that theme. Each of the characters has an interesting story of their own in which Koontz brings together at the end where Grady and Merlin meet.

However, the connections between events could have been more fulfilling and stronger to bring them to a finished conclusiveness to weave into the mystery of the main plot. Grady Adams is a former marine and his pal Merlin is his Irish wolfhound and they were the ones who discovered the two unknown life form animals that appeared in his pasture. He confides in his friend Camilla Rivers, a local vet and when she arrives it didn’t take long for them all to gather and check each other out. Camilla told her friend who was a science professor and that’s all it took. Before long the Homeland Security invade a large area of Grady’s place and set up a secured lab to investigate the creatures that will lead to their future. They did take the two animals and placed them in cages in their make-shift lab. Grady and Camilla were very disappointed that these two small animals they named Puzzle and Riddle lost their freedom.

Homeland Security didn’t know that day by day Puzzle and Riddle were showing more capabilities of their intellect. Grady and Camilla were secretly planning retrieving Puzzle and Riddle and getting away. However, they didn’t know Puzzle and Riddle were making their own plans of escape in the lab. As the story goes on the other sub-plot stories are weaved within the story but they disturb the reader because they are left hanging and I didn’t feel they were completed at the end.

The sub-text consists of Grady’s neighbors; Jim and Nora Carlyle are in for a surprise when Henry, Jim’s twin brother shows up on their doorstop after many years away. Quite a few miles away Tom Bigger, an alcoholic vagrant, witnesses something miraculous and is compelled to return to his childhood home and has many miles to walk. Near Seattle, attorney Liddon Wallace hires a former client to murder his wife and son in California. In Las Vegas, Dr. Lamar Woolsey is ordered by a high powered government agency to transport to rural Colorado. The book was good but I feel there were a few too many characters with unfinished stories. ( )
  Juan-banjo | Jul 22, 2018 |
The beginning of the book did leave me breathless...I had to keep reading to find out what would happen next. It gets a bit bogged down about half-way through when more characters are introduced.

Puzzle and Riddle are interesting creatures for a suspense-thriller. It seems like they bring out the best in people as they focus on the good around them. It's too bad that they are mythical/magical creatures, I think we all need to see the good in our lives. ( )
  sraelling | Jan 14, 2018 |
I'm a huge Koontz fan but this was a disappointment. 2 stars is being generous. ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
This book sucked. I wish I could give it 0 stars. It was a complete waste of time and I've never read worse literature up to this point in my life. As an avid reader it almost made me wish to stop reading altogether as to not waste my time. Bleh. ( )
  Brinlie.Jill.Searle | Nov 22, 2016 |
Read the blurb of my husband's copy, and decided to read the book. Shouldn't have. I expected some sciency SF, but it was just a thriller. And it wasn't all that thrilling - reading about all the different psychopaths was awful, imo. And the ending was totally unsatisfying. If he'd focused on the good guys, and saved the pages wasted on the bad guys for more discussion of science, it could have been pretty good. I can't bear to give it one star because the good guys were interesting, and I didn't hate it so much I put it down... 1.5 rounded to 2 stars. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Science must not impose any philosophy, any more than the telephone must tell us what to say. --G.K.Chesterton
To Aesop, twenty-six centuries late and with apologies for the length.

And as always and forever: to Gerda
A moment before the encounter, a strange expectancy overcame Grady Adams, a sense that he and Merlin were not alone.

When Colorado carpenter Gary Adams spots two mysterious creatures in the woods near his house, he calls on his friend, veterinarian Cammy Rivers for advice. But like Gary, Cammy has never seen an animal resembling this beautiful species. But when the Department of Homeland Security puts a call out for Gary and Cammy because of these animals, the two risk everything to protect the innocent creatures.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,625,031 books! | Top bar: Always visible