Breathless by Dean Koontz

by Dean Koontz

Member:oldstick
Title:Breathless
Authors:Dean Koontz
Info:HarperCollins (2010), Edition: First Edition - First Printing, Hardcover, 400 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:**
Tags:mystery

Breathless by Dean Koontz

What if our DNA was the same but had just a little different effect? A little twist? What would bring it forth? Could we make it a good thing? Or would we spoil it? ( )
  bgknighton | May 17, 2015 |
Back in my mid-twenties I devoured Koontz novels like they were going out of style. I do still enjoy them once and awhile, but I found more enjoyment lately from the audio versions. Although this novel had a creepy murderer, as most of his books do, it did not seem to reach the level of intensity I expect from Koontz. Usually this intensity stems from the actions of a psychopath, so this novel offered a more relaxed tone.

The book follows the narratives of several different characters. The various characters come from different parts of the country and various walks of life. Grady could not have imagined that his stumbling upon two magnificent creatures frolicking on his land would bring them all together. The appearance of the creatures creates a sea of change, but unfortunately, not everyone involved has good intentions.

When Grady discovers the creatures he contacts his friend Camilla, who is also a veterinarian, to see if she knows anything about them. She is amazed by Grady's discovery, and after referring to a colleague, the government swoops in, trying to take control of the situation. Grady and Camilla fine themselves doing whatever is necessary to protect these two magnificent creatures.

Cummings did a good job narrating, considering there were many characters he needed to bring to life for us. My biggest complaint with this novel was that there were too many characters to learn as new ones were even introduced within the last couple of discs. With themes of unexplained beings, conspiracy, and evil, you may enjoy this book as much or even more than I did. I recommend this book for personal leisure or for book clubs that enjoy reading books with an extra-terrestrial content. ( )
  jo-jo | Feb 15, 2015 |
My husband gave me this book. I love the Odd Thomas series by Koontz so gave this book a chance. I did not want to put this book down. What a creative and surprising premise. Wait till you read about the mysterious white furry creatures and their contacts with people. Merlin, an Irish wolfhound, plays an important role interacting with the creatures, and he is portrayed as being wise. The creatures may change the entire world. I like when Koontz writes books with a note of hope in them, like this one. ( )
  hangen | Nov 19, 2014 |

This should have been a short story or novella. But, when there are millions of dollars at stake, that's what you get. Koontz can still sleep well, and what we get is a stretched out, weak novel. That doesn't mean I found it complete crap. Some ideas were intriguing. The theory against accepting evolution per se is wrong in the sense that many genome mutations take place at the same time, but the argument about keeping our minds open to any flaws of well-respected scientific theories is a good one. Even though not original or worth writing a book around it. It seems to me the whole theory came up later, to add on to this image of the unique creatures in the meadow. Definitely one of his weakest books. I'm sure he knows that. ( )
  tabascofromgudreads | Apr 19, 2014 |
Oh dear. Where do I begin. First of all, trying to pull off multiple converging character storylines in a book this size rarely works, and in this book it did not work. Nearly every character of focus ended up being the ridiculous complication in someone else's storyline, sometimes with only a momentary interaction that made me wonder why half of these people were even in the book. Cammy is the only character who had any depth at all, and even she wasn't well developed. One or two of the other characters were promising but left me wanting more information.

Two very different characters had names starting with the same letters, causing me to be confused during a few scene changes. New characters are introduced far too late in the book. It seemed like the action didn't start till way after the halfway point. The "big reveal" was... lame. The idea had promise but the execution was lacking. The "big standoff" was so anticlimactic it was silly.

Feds come in with guns blazing only to stop when they realize the story has broken on TV? Really? With no word from anyone? Just... give up? And no consequences or follow up on what Cammy, Grady and Lamar did?

I've been a Dean Koontz fan for a long time, but this just wasn't a very good book. It felt like he was just trying too hard. ( )
  CWatkinsNash | Sep 23, 2013 |
Science must not impose any philosophy, any more than the telephone must tell us what to say. --G.K.Chesterton
To Aesop, twenty-six centuries late and with apologies for the length.

And as always and forever: to Gerda
A moment before the encounter, a strange expectancy overcame Grady Adams, a sense that he and Merlin were not alone.

When Colorado carpenter Gary Adams spots two mysterious creatures in the woods near his house, he calls on his friend, veterinarian Cammy Rivers for advice. But like Gary, Cammy has never seen an animal resembling this beautiful species. But when the Department of Homeland Security puts a call out for Gary and Cammy because of these animals, the two risk everything to protect the innocent creatures.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,959,048 books! | Top bar: Always visible