Breathless by Dean Koontz

by Dean Koontz

Member:oldstick
Title:Breathless
Authors:Dean Koontz
Info:HarperCollins (2010), Edition: First Edition - First Printing, Hardcover, 400 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:**
Tags:mystery

Breathless by Dean Koontz

This should have been a short story or novella. But, when there are millions of dollars at stake, that's what you get. Koontz can still sleep well, and what we get is a stretched out, weak novel. That doesn't mean I found it complete crap. Some ideas were intriguing. The theory against accepting evolution per se is wrong in the sense that many genome mutations take place at the same time, but the argument about keeping our minds open to any flaws of well-respected scientific theories is a good one. Even though not original or worth writing a book around it. It seems to me the whole theory came up later, to add on to this image of the unique creatures in the meadow. Definitely one of his weakest books. I'm sure he knows that. ( )
  tabascofromgudreads | Apr 19, 2014 |
Oh dear. Where do I begin. First of all, trying to pull off multiple converging character storylines in a book this size rarely works, and in this book it did not work. Nearly every character of focus ended up being the ridiculous complication in someone else's storyline, sometimes with only a momentary interaction that made me wonder why half of these people were even in the book. Cammy is the only character who had any depth at all, and even she wasn't well developed. One or two of the other characters were promising but left me wanting more information.

Two very different characters had names starting with the same letters, causing me to be confused during a few scene changes. New characters are introduced far too late in the book. It seemed like the action didn't start till way after the halfway point. The "big reveal" was... lame. The idea had promise but the execution was lacking. The "big standoff" was so anticlimactic it was silly.

Feds come in with guns blazing only to stop when they realize the story has broken on TV? Really? With no word from anyone? Just... give up? And no consequences or follow up on what Cammy, Grady and Lamar did?

I've been a Dean Koontz fan for a long time, but this just wasn't a very good book. It felt like he was just trying too hard. ( )
  CWatkinsNash | Sep 23, 2013 |
EDITORIAL REVIEW: #1 *New York Times* bestselling author Dean Koontz delivers a thrilling novel of suspense and adventure, as the lives of strangers converge around a mystery unfolding high in the Colorado mountains—and the balance of the world begins to tilt…. In the stillness of a golden September afternoon, deep in the wilderness of the Rockies, a solitary craftsman, Grady Adams, and his magnificent Irish wolfhound Merlin step from shadow into light…and into an encounter with enchantment. That night, through the trees, under the moon, a pair of singular animals will watch Grady's isolated home, waiting to make their approach. A few miles away, Camillia Rivers, a local veterinarian, begins to unravel the threads of a puzzle that will bring all the forces of a government in peril to her door. At a nearby farm, long-estranged identical twins come together to begin a descent into darkness…In Las Vegas, a specialist in chaos theory probes the boundaries of the unknowable…On a Seattle golf course, two men make matter-of-fact arrangements for murder…Along a highway by the sea, a vagrant scarred by the past begins a trek toward his destiny… In a novel that is at once wholly of our time and timeless, fearless and funny, Dean Koontz takes readers into the moment between one turn of the world and the next, across the border between knowing and mystery. It is a journey that will leave all who take it **Breathless***. **From the Hardcover edition.* SUMMARY: Grady Adams, a craftsman, lives alone in the Colorado mountains, a strong gentle man whose experiences have left him alienated from the contemporary world. One day out walking he observes a pair of beautiful white-furred animals he has never seen before: as big as dogs, maybe sixty or seventy pounds, but they are not dogs. They seem to be at play ... Grady can find no animal like them in reference books. Then he comes face to face with the two animals: they are more beautiful than he could have imagined. They are unlike anything he can name! Soon they are taking food from him. A sudden wonder has come into his life, not to mention a deep mystery. Grady's friend Cammy Rivers is a vet. She is stunned by the two creatures - and sends photos over the Internet to inquire of colleagues in far places if they can identify the animals. Before they know what is happening, Homeland Security has quarantined square miles of wildland surrounding Grady's home and confined both Grady and Cammy there while biologists and assorted scientists capture, confine and run tests on the creatures. Angered and alarmed Grady and Cammy free the captives and go on the run. A pursuit of hair-raising suspense begins, with no happy ending in prospect ... BREATHLESS is a unique and riveting thriller from the master of suspense.
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
It appears in this novel that Dean Koontz has had several ideas of stories that won't quite make an entire novel, but if he throws them all in together, well, he'll be able to tie them together, won't he just? Not exactly... There are four plots going on here. The actual, real plot involves an ex-war veteran and his dog discovering two animals in the woods. Animals, that sound rather a lot like sifaka lemurs (but they're not, they're something new, something extraordinary and very cute). They're appealing enough for me to draw them, actually... Anyway these creatures manage to bring together the ex-war vet and a genuine vet. But don't go expecting romance, cos you won't find any. So, these creatures then become known to Homeland Security and things start to turn to custard. It's a great idea for a plot, could have been expanded and turned into a real nail-biting thriller like the Koontz of old. But it's not. Three other stories are running alongside - a psychopath invading his twin brother's life, a man hired to kill a woman and child and a scarred beggar. None of these apparently have anything to do with the creatures and the eventual attempt at a tie-in will disappoint you. Koontz has some pretty stupid, sketchy science and a conclusion that will have you yawning. I'm not sure what's happened to his writing - his earlier books have kept me up into the wee small hours and although churned out at a rate of knots had amused me. This one... Well, I struggled to finish it. In fact I almost threw it down in disgust when I heard his explaination for the the creatures. What a cop-out. ( )
  LemurKat | Sep 12, 2013 |
Not even close to as good as classic Koontz, barely as interesting as Life Expectancy. The last four chapters totally jump the shark; and my mediocre enthusiasm was crushed into apathetic disgruntlement. Mr. Koontz, if you wanted to wax philosophic, don't torture us with a less than stellar novel....even better don't couch your ideas in fiction and have your characters speak your ideology. ( )
  lesmel | May 21, 2013 |
Science must not impose any philosophy, any more than the telephone must tell us what to say. --G.K.Chesterton
To Aesop, twenty-six centuries late and with apologies for the length.

And as always and forever: to Gerda
A moment before the encounter, a strange expectancy overcame Grady Adams, a sense that he and Merlin were not alone.

When Colorado carpenter Gary Adams spots two mysterious creatures in the woods near his house, he calls on his friend, veterinarian Cammy Rivers for advice. But like Gary, Cammy has never seen an animal resembling this beautiful species. But when the Department of Homeland Security puts a call out for Gary and Cammy because of these animals, the two risk everything to protect the innocent creatures.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,723,985 books! | Top bar: Always visible