Breathless by Dean Koontz

by Dean Koontz

Member:oldstick
Title:Breathless
Authors:Dean Koontz
Info:HarperCollins (2010), Edition: First Edition - First Printing, Hardcover, 400 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:**
Tags:mystery

Breathless by Dean Koontz

This book sucked. I wish I could give it 0 stars. It was a complete waste of time and I've never read worse literature up to this point in my life. As an avid reader it almost made me wish to stop reading altogether as to not waste my time. Bleh. ( )
  Brinlie.Jill.Searle | Nov 22, 2016 |
Read the blurb of my husband's copy, and decided to read the book. Shouldn't have. I expected some sciency SF, but it was just a thriller. And it wasn't all that thrilling - reading about all the different psychopaths was awful, imo. And the ending was totally unsatisfying. If he'd focused on the good guys, and saved the pages wasted on the bad guys for more discussion of science, it could have been pretty good. I can't bear to give it one star because the good guys were interesting, and I didn't hate it so much I put it down... 1.5 rounded to 2 stars. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
In the Colorado Rockies, Grady Adams and his Irish wolfhound, Merlin, have just discovered two creatures unlike anything they've ever seen before. As they welcome these mysterious animals into their home, they soon discover that their arrival coincides with a wondrous event that will forever change their lives and millions of other all over the world.

Breathless is a great story packed with suspense, great character development, and fantastic descriptions.

Long time readers appreciate Koontz's ability to tell a good story and also touch the reader in a special way. Many of his stories are spiritual without being spiritual. That makes no sense at all, except it is true, at least for this reader. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
REVISED:

I just finished The Eyes of Darkness. I cannot in good conscience give this more than 2 stars. In comparison, this one sucks.

Carry on.

It's hard to rate this book. I usually either love or hate Koontz novels. This one was going to get no more than 2 stars... But the last third put a spin on it that had the possibility of being intriguing. Sadly, he didn't explore the ideas enough. And he cheaped out on the potential future for all of this.

However, I'd be lying if I said he didn't draw me in at all. So I had to upgrade it to 3 stars.

I was in the mood for light, unchallenging reading, something that would keep me turning pages but not make any promises it couldn't deliver. And I only paid $2 for this copy. For those reasons, I wasn't disappointed with this. However, given the lack of depth to this story, I really can't recommend it to anyone else. The story lines with Tom Bigger & Henry Rouvroy went nowhere and were a waste of time. I get that he was trying to make order out of chaos here. But both failed.

If you're an avid Koontz fan, pick it up at a bargain bin or borrow it from the library. And read it with few expectations, merely to have read all his works. In this frame of mind, you might enjoy it a bit. ( )
  LauraCerone | May 26, 2016 |
Typical Koontz. All the animals are wonderful, the dogs never poop in the house, and mystical thinking works better than science. The last Koontz book I liked was Watchers and that still goes. ( )
  debs913 | Apr 2, 2016 |
Science must not impose any philosophy, any more than the telephone must tell us what to say. --G.K.Chesterton
To Aesop, twenty-six centuries late and with apologies for the length.

And as always and forever: to Gerda
A moment before the encounter, a strange expectancy overcame Grady Adams, a sense that he and Merlin were not alone.

When Colorado carpenter Gary Adams spots two mysterious creatures in the woods near his house, he calls on his friend, veterinarian Cammy Rivers for advice. But like Gary, Cammy has never seen an animal resembling this beautiful species. But when the Department of Homeland Security puts a call out for Gary and Cammy because of these animals, the two risk everything to protect the innocent creatures.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,823,853 books! | Top bar: Always visible