The Stone Child by Dan Poblocki

The Stone Child

by Dan Poblocki

I wish I had read this book before The Nightmarys, because I feel like it would have made me enjoy the latter more. In any case, The Stone Child was an EXCELLENT book and it makes me even more excited to have discovered this author. I've ordered the other books he's written and I'm excited to start them!

The Stone Child is about a boy that moves to a small town, and, through remarkable coincidence (you'll find out later that it isn't much of a coincidence at all) discovers that it is the previous home of his favorite author. Soon he discoveries that there might have been some truth in the mysteries and horror that his hero has written. The Stone Child is full of rich mythology and well developed characters. I was completely drawn into the story and felt like I was being absorbed into its world, which is both fantastic and strangely believable at the same time.

I loved all of the creatures that showed up one by one and the slow unraveling of the truth as the main characters dug up answers about their favorite author and the strange town they live in.

I desperately want to know what else happens to these characters, even though the story ends on a nice, well-wrapped note. I guess I'll probably just have the satisfy myself with more books by the author. ( )
  vombatiformes | Jun 23, 2014 |
The Stone Child
The Stone Child is a story of Adventure, Mystery and especially Horror. When Eddie's family moves to a new town, little do they know of the town's history. Eddie comes to realize that this is the same town that his favorite book author lived, and where he wrote his books. But this isn't just a normal town. There are mysterious creatures lurking about and no one in this town is safe.
The Good: My favorite part of this whole story were the characters. I think the author did a great job of portraying them, and I could picture both them and their personalities perfectly. I always enjoy reading a story where I can picture both the people and surroundings of the place I'm reading. It helps me feel like I'm part of the story, and the author has done a wonderful job of describing and making the reader feel as if they are really there. Also the mystery side of the story was pretty good. I never saw what was coming.
The Bad: I do not like horror, but even I think that this story could have done a better job in that section. I'm sure if I saw the creatures it'd be scarier, but I didn't feel very creeped out. Also this story started out well, but I started to lose interest half way through. I found the ending to just be a little strange, but hey, horror is suppose to strange. It's not like we're reading about Scooby Doo and the Mystery gang, these are real monsters we're dealing with.
Conclusion: Neither really good nor bad is all I will say. For others especially younger readers, I'm sure they will enjoy it.
Ratings: 3/5 *** ( )
  adventures2 | May 19, 2014 |
A teenage boy and his family move to a new town. Eddie soon finds out that his favorite author lived in this new town before disappearing 13 years ago. Did the author disappear on his own or was he helped? This mystery includes curses and monsters real and imagined. ( )
  SparklePonies | Feb 17, 2014 |
A writer gone missing and fiction becomes real when things appear from his books. A gateway to another world, and an old story.
The hebrew letter CHET. A boy and his friends try to figure out the author's disappearance and why do monsters keep on appearing, along with the woman in black whispering from the shadows. ( )
  Zhen.Li | Jun 24, 2013 |
was utterly creepy ( )
1 vote | Diavoletto | Jun 12, 2013 |
For my mom and dad
The blue station wagon had just come around a sharp bend in the road when the creature stepped out of the woods.

What if the monsters from your favorite horror books were real? Eddie Fennicks has always been a loner, content to lose himself in a mystery novel by his favorite author, Nathaniel Olmstead. That's why moving to the small town of Gatesweed becomes a dream come tre when Eddie discovers that Olmstead lived there before mysteriously disappearing thirteen years ago. Even better, Eddie finds a handwritten, never-before-seen Nathaniel Olmstead book printed in code and befriends Harris, who's as much an Olmsteady as he is. But then the frightening creatures of Olmstead's books begins to show up in real life, and Eddie's dream turns into a nightmare. Eddie, Harris, and their new friend, Maggie, must break Olmstead's code, banish all gremlins and monster lake-dogs from the town of Gatesweed, and solve the mystery of the missing author, all before Eddie's mom finishes writing her own tale of terror and brings to life the scariest creature of all. (978-0-545-20725-7)

What if the monsters from your favorite horror books were real?

Eddie Fennicks has always been a loner, content to lose himself in a mystery novel by his favorite author, Nathaniel Olmstead. That's why moving to the small town of Gatesweed becomes a dream come true when Eddie discovers that Olmstead lived there before mysteriously disappearing thirteen years ago. Even better, Eddie finds a handwritten, never-before-seen Nathaniel Olmstead book printed in code and befriends Harris, who's as much an Olmsteady as he is. But then the frightening creatures of Olmstead's books begin to show up in real life, and Eddie's dream turns into a nightmare. Eddie, Harris, and their new friend, Maggie, must break Olmstead's code, banish all gremlins and monster lake-dogs from the town of Gatesweed, and solve the mystery of the missing author, all before Eddie's mom finishes writing her own tale of terror and brings to life the scariest creature of all.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:04 -0400)

When friends Eddie, Harris, and Maggie discover that the scary adventures in their favorite author's fictional books come true, they must find a way to close the portal that allows evil creatures and witches to enter their hometown of Gatesweed.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,974,900 books! | Top bar: Always visible