Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld

Leviathan (edition 2010)

by Scott Westerfeld, Keith Thompson (Illustrator)

3,7612901,385 (3.96)2 / 508
Member:queenteenlibrarian
Title:Leviathan
Authors:Scott Westerfeld
Other authors:Keith Thompson (Illustrator)
Info:Simon Pulse (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 464 pages
Tags:teen fiction, young adult fiction, science fiction, steampunk, World War I, Austria-Hungary, Hapsburgs, Archduke Franz Ferdinand assassination, Darwinists, Clankers, machines, war, enemy friendships

Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld

Airborn by Kenneth Oppel (Maid_Marian)
    Behemoth by Scott Westerfeld (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: An alternate history taking place on the eve of World War I.
    His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik (PghDragonMan)
    Boneshaker by Cherie Priest (ahstrick)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (SheReads)
    Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve (Maid_Marian)
    Bloody Jack; Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy by L. A. Meyer (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: 'Both stories are about an adventurous and headstrong girl disguising herself as a boy for a chance to join the military. Jacky is trying to make a living for herself and escape poverty during the Napoleonic Wars and joins the Navy as a ship\'s boy in Bloody Jack. Deryn Sharp wants nothing more than to join the Royal Air Corps in Leviathan - a steampunk alternate history of WWI. Both books are packed full of adventure and spunky protagonists.… (more)
    The Manual of Aeronautics: An Illustrated Guide to the Leviathan Series by Scott Westerfeld (LAKobow)
    Dreadnought by Cherie Priest (SunnySD)
    Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher (majkia)
    majkia: Another coming of age book, but granted, in a completely different environment. Still, both have strong central characters who grow, and change to the backdrop of war, and have a marked impact on their worlds.
    Worldshaker by Richard Harland (Maid_Marian)
    Northern Lights by Philip Pullman (Aleana)
    The firebird mystery : a Jack Mason adventure by Darrell Pitt (lkernagh)
    lkernagh: Same style of fast paced, alternate reality adventure with air ships.
    Black Powder War by Naomi Novik (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Alternate histories of great military events tie these together.
    The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Hunchback Assignments by Arthur Slade (ShelfMonkey)

English (288)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (289)
Let's try a little juvenile steampunk. Because audible had its first book of series on serious sale this week, so why not? (why I read the book in the first place).

I recommend this book for preteens and maybe even teens, probably mainly boys. Steampunk is generally made of science fiction, fantasy, alternate history and adventure. This book is such a book, and starts with the premise of WWI. Then it's on for a wild ride. This one was fun enough to encourage me to listen to all of it, and I liked that the author reviews what is history verse make believe at the end of the book. The author had a neat website with storm cool YouTube video previews of the books. I also thought he was quite clever in his verbiage for all the character dialogue and for his imagined elements such as "clankers" and "beasties." ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
Amazing world building in this adventure about a girl dressed as a boy working on a military blimp in a steampunk alternate WWI-era Europe. Her story intersects with a prince on the run from the powers that killed his parents. ( )
  NinaBerry | Mar 3, 2016 |
It's 1914 and Alek's parents have just been killed. His tutors hustle him out of bed and help him escape in a monstrous steam-powered mecha. Meanwhile, across the ocean, teenaged Deryn Sharp is preparing for her exams. To join the Airforce, she'll have to exhibit bravery, wit...and pass as a boy. Their fates will become entwined, as their nations edge toward war with each other.

I think my expectations were too high. Scott Westerfeld was one of my favorite authors for a few years (to the extent that I stalked him at Wiscon, asked enumerable questions at his reading, and then pounced on him directly after to tell him how fantastic he is), and I'm a huge fan of alternate histories, ya, and genemods. And yet...somehow I didn't love this book. In fact, I barely liked it. The world building feels lazy, and the characters are not well drawn. Deryn is very inconsistent--supposedly her father taught her everything about airships and took her flying, and so she finds her lessons very easy...and yet for some reason she has to be taught "fore" and "aft"? She's 15, but she acts and thinks like someone years younger. As a character, Alek hangs together better, and I was interested in his slow awakening to class differences and the lives of the poor. But when they meet, they each become cardboard cutouts of character types again. The plot is nothing special. The big reveals are telegraphed from the start. All in all, worth reading, but don't get your hopes up. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
This is definitely a book for teens. It was my first experience with "steampunk" and it was okay. The setting is 1914 Europe just before the great war. The British and its allies are the Darwinists who use life threads (DNA) to fabricate new creatures that have specific tasks such as the talking messenger lizard. The Germans and its allies are the Clankers who use steam mechanics to create things like walkers and aeroplanes. The lead character of the Darwinists is a 15 year old British girl impersonating a boy so she can join the air service. The lead character of the Clankers is a 15 year old Austrian boy who is the son of the murdered Archduke Ferdinand and his wife Sofie. It has an interesting blend of fact and fantasy and the story line moves along quite nicely. The story ends making you want to see what happens in the second book. I can see the appeal for both female and male teen readers. ( )
  MelAnnC | Feb 28, 2016 |
I don’t know if this book is intended to be Young Adult fiction. It certainly could be, given the ages of the two central characters. Taken as a YA, some of the book’s absurdities become easier to swallow. I gave it four stars on that basis, and because it’s well-written and I enjoyed it.

I found this steampunk/bio-punk alternative history to be an engaging bit of improbable fluff. As a one-time practicing biologist, I can in no way endorse this story as a work of science fiction. Imagine that you could manipulate the life threads (DNA) of various organisms to assemble living machines that could do pretty much whatever you wanted in the way that mechanical engineers assemble bits of hardware and electrical wiring – and remember that this is happening sometime back around 1900 at the onset of World War I. It’s pure fantasy. And to top it off, the people in this story who make non-biological machines have somehow gotten stuck on walkers.

I have to say that the world-building is nicely described and well-detailed, even if the world in question is basically pretty ridiculous. The writing quality is generally quite good, which is a major saving grace. The characters are also very well-crafted. It was a pleasure watching the two central characters get brought together by circumstances. They’re a bit young for this to become a full-blown romance, which is probably just as well since he’s the son of the murdered Archduke Ferdinand, and she’s a delightfully common young Scot, meaning that any romance is likely to be thwarted. This is book one, and the story obviously will be continued in the next one, “Behemoth.” I’m still trying to decide whether to indulge myself in the second book. ( )
  Carol_W | Feb 25, 2016 |
The novel is a study in opposites, of boy versus girl, working class versus aristocracy, British versus German, and its overlying thematic division of Darwinists and Clankers gives all of these a distinctive torque, while avoiding mapping neatly to any specific agenda. The novel’s concluding set piece features a grand, elegant and very satisfying hybridization that suggests that opposites can meet, collapse and mingle, and that this story has natural sequels, which I will undoubtedly read.

Westerfeld writes gripping, relentless coming-of-age novels that are equally enjoyable by boys and girls, adults and kids, and Leviathan is no exception. I'm looking forward to volume two -- and many more to come.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Oct 6, 2009)

Scott Westerfeldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cumming, AlanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosamilia, MikeDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thompson, KeithIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yuen, Sammy, Jr.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my NYC writing crew,
for knowing the importance of Craft
The Austrian horses glinted in the moonlight, their riders standing tall in the saddle, swords raised.
His Majesty's London Zoo was squawking like a bag of budgies on fire.
No one could night-walk like him.
Having your parents die was exactly like the world exploding, like a war being declared.

Prince Aleksander, would-be heir to the Austro-Hungarian throne, is on the run. His own people have turned on him. His title is worthless. All he has is a battletorn war machine and a loyal crew of men.

Deryn Sharp is a commoner, disguised as a boy in the British Air Service. She's a brilliant airman. But her secret is in constant danger of being discovered.

With World War I brewing, Alek and Deryn's paths cross in the most unexpected way…taking them on a fantastical, around-the-world adventure that will change both their lives forever.

In an alternate 1914 Europe, fifteen-year-old Austrian Prince Alek, on the run from the Clanker Powers who are attempting to take over the globe using mechanical machinery, forms an uneasy alliance with Deryn who, disguised as a boy to join the British Air Service, is learning to fly genetically-engineered beasts.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0670073032, 0143206087

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,053 books! | Top bar: Always visible