Leviathan (Leviathan Trilogy) by Scott…

Leviathan (Leviathan Trilogy) (edition 2009)

by Scott Westerfeld, Keith Thompson (Illustrator)

4,5043091,544 (3.94)2 / 529
Member:CTAATGT
Title:Leviathan (Leviathan Trilogy)
Authors:Scott Westerfeld
Other authors:Keith Thompson (Illustrator)
Info:Simon Pulse (2009), Edition: Ex-Library, Hardcover, 448 pages

Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld

Recently added bywisemetis, mmorrison61, private library, Alvorn, Starstruck, vilk, rena75, NadineBergen
    Airborn by Kenneth Oppel (Maid_Marian)
    His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik (PghDragonMan)
    Behemoth by Scott Westerfeld (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: An alternate history taking place on the eve of World War I.
    Boneshaker by Cherie Priest (ahstrick)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (SheReads)
    Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve (Maid_Marian)
    Bloody Jack: Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy by L. A. Meyer (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: 'Both stories are about an adventurous and headstrong girl disguising herself as a boy for a chance to join the military. Jacky is trying to make a living for herself and escape poverty during the Napoleonic Wars and joins the Navy as a ship\'s boy in Bloody Jack. Deryn Sharp wants nothing more than to join the Royal Air Corps in Leviathan - a steampunk alternate history of WWI. Both books are packed full of adventure and spunky protagonists.… (more)
    Dreadnought by Cherie Priest (SunnySD)
    The Manual of Aeronautics: An Illustrated Guide to the Leviathan Series by Scott Westerfeld (LAKobow)
    Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher (majkia)
    majkia: Another coming of age book, but granted, in a completely different environment. Still, both have strong central characters who grow, and change to the backdrop of war, and have a marked impact on their worlds.
    Worldshaker by Richard Harland (Maid_Marian)
    The firebird mystery : a Jack Mason adventure by Darrell Pitt (lkernagh)
    lkernagh: Same style of fast paced, alternate reality adventure with air ships.
    Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger (LAKobow)
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Aleana)
    The Hunchback Assignments by Arthur Slade (ShelfMonkey)
    The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Black Powder War by Naomi Novik (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Alternate histories of great military events tie these together.

English (308)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (309)

[a:Keith Thompson|202254|Keith Thompson|http://www.goodreads.com/images/nophoto/nophoto-U-50x66.jpg]'s illustrations are a visual feast! My favorite illustration was The Leviathan Approaches.

[a:Scott Westerfield|3956758|Scott Westerfield|http://www.goodreads.com/images/nophoto/nophoto-U-50x66.jpg]'s Leviathan Series is alternative-past historical fiction where biological constructs vie w/mechanical war machines for supremacy. The series is written for children and young adults, but equally enjoyable for readers of all ages for whom this kind of speculative fiction is irresistible.

nkmunn | Nov 17, 2018 |
Leviathan Trilogy by Scott Westerfeld. A wonderful steampunk World War I series about two great powers, the Clankers and Darwinists, who go to war. History was never this much fun! Both my sons loved the books. Rick Riordan
  TKMartinez | Oct 8, 2018 |
I'm not a big fan of steampunk -it seems more about the Victorian costumes than anything else - but I really enjoyed Westerfeld's steampunky take on the start of World War I. The concept of a living zeppelin, with its own ecosystem, was great. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld is the opening book in his steampunk series of the same name. In this volume the author establishes his characters and sets the scene for this alternative version of World War I. In this book the Austrians and Germans are referred to as the Clankers, as they rely on mechanics for their weapons of war, while the English and their allies are called “Darwinists” as they have mastered the art of DNA manipulation to create organic weapons.

Although the two main characters seemed a little young and the story too simplified, this is a YA book that I can certainly see young people loving. Alek is the unacknowledged crown prince of the Austrian Empire but he is on the run while being hunted by his uncle, the current Emperor. His mother was a commoner and as such, her offspring are not considered “royal” enough to ascend the throne. Nevertheless, times are changing and his uncle wants to exterminate this threat. Deryn is a young Darwinist female masquerading as a boy in order to be in the military service and learn to master the art of flying the huge airships that they use. She grew up with a balloonist father and has an affinity for flying. As a midshipman she appears to have the ability to always be in the centre of things. The two meet, and at this point form a friendship that I am sure will develop into more as they mature in the later books.

In Leviathan, the two main characters are introduced and firmly established but they don’t actually meet until about halfway through the book. I fully appreciated how the author uses humor and imagination to draw his readers into this strange world peopled with unusual gadgets, fabulous beasts, and intriguing characters. This opening book of the steampunk adventure would definitely appeal to both the young and the young-at-heart. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Sep 6, 2018 |
I was really looking forward to this, but I ended up thinking it was kind of a mess. It felt like a really, really, really long first chapter in a way--all setup and no payoff--and Alek and Deryn were such stock characters. The world-building was interesting, but not so interesting that I'll pick up volume 2. I've read Uglies, so I know that Westerfeld can do better. ( )
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
The novel is a study in opposites, of boy versus girl, working class versus aristocracy, British versus German, and its overlying thematic division of Darwinists and Clankers gives all of these a distinctive torque, while avoiding mapping neatly to any specific agenda. The novel’s concluding set piece features a grand, elegant and very satisfying hybridization that suggests that opposites can meet, collapse and mingle, and that this story has natural sequels, which I will undoubtedly read.

Westerfeld writes gripping, relentless coming-of-age novels that are equally enjoyable by boys and girls, adults and kids, and Leviathan is no exception. I'm looking forward to volume two -- and many more to come.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Oct 6, 2009)

Scott Westerfeldprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cumming, AlanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosamilia, MikeDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thompson, KeithIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yuen, Sammy, Jr.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my NYC writing crew,
for knowing the importance of Craft
The Austrian horses glinted in the moonlight, their riders standing tall in the saddle, swords raised.
His Majesty's London Zoo was squawking like a bag of budgies on fire.
No one could night-walk like him.
Having your parents die was exactly like the world exploding, like a war being declared.

Prince Aleksander, would-be heir to the Austro-Hungarian throne, is on the run. His own people have turned on him. His title is worthless. All he has is a battletorn war machine and a loyal crew of men.

Deryn Sharp is a commoner, disguised as a boy in the British Air Service. She's a brilliant airman. But her secret is in constant danger of being discovered.

With World War I brewing, Alek and Deryn's paths cross in the most unexpected way…taking them on a fantastical, around-the-world adventure that will change both their lives forever.

In an alternate 1914 Europe, fifteen-year-old Austrian Prince Alek, on the run from the Clanker Powers who are attempting to take over the globe using mechanical machinery, forms an uneasy alliance with Deryn who, disguised as a boy to join the British Air Service, is learning to fly genetically-engineered beasts.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0670073032, 0143206087

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,718,588 books! | Top bar: Always visible