Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld

Leviathan (edition 2010)

by Scott Westerfeld, Keith Thompson (Illustrator)

3,8582931,340 (3.95)2 / 511
Member:graceless880
Title:Leviathan
Authors:Scott Westerfeld
Other authors:Keith Thompson (Illustrator)
Info:Simon Pulse (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 464 pages

Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld

Airborn by Kenneth Oppel (Maid_Marian)
    Behemoth by Scott Westerfeld (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: An alternate history taking place on the eve of World War I.
    His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik (PghDragonMan)
    Boneshaker by Cherie Priest (ahstrick)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (SheReads)
    Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve (Maid_Marian)
    Bloody Jack by L. A. Meyer (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: 'Both stories are about an adventurous and headstrong girl disguising herself as a boy for a chance to join the military. Jacky is trying to make a living for herself and escape poverty during the Napoleonic Wars and joins the Navy as a ship\'s boy in Bloody Jack. Deryn Sharp wants nothing more than to join the Royal Air Corps in Leviathan - a steampunk alternate history of WWI. Both books are packed full of adventure and spunky protagonists.… (more)
    The Manual of Aeronautics: An Illustrated Guide to the Leviathan Series by Scott Westerfeld (LAKobow)
    Dreadnought by Cherie Priest (SunnySD)
    Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher (majkia)
    majkia: Another coming of age book, but granted, in a completely different environment. Still, both have strong central characters who grow, and change to the backdrop of war, and have a marked impact on their worlds.
    Worldshaker by Richard Harland (Maid_Marian)
    The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, Book 1) by Philip Pullman (Aleana)
    The firebird mystery : a Jack Mason adventure by Darrell Pitt (lkernagh)
    lkernagh: Same style of fast paced, alternate reality adventure with air ships.
    Black Powder War by Naomi Novik (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Alternate histories of great military events tie these together.
    The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Hunchback Assignments by Arthur Slade (ShelfMonkey)

English (291)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (292)
The Leviathan Series #1...

I've been wanting to read more Steampunk so since I heard some good things about Leviathian and the airships in it intrigued me, I decided to give it a try. I didn't particularly enjoy it though like I thought I would, for a couple of reasons. One, I thought it was suppose to be a YA book but its simplicity made it more appropriate for younger middle grade children. Also, the story is set in an alternative world around the time of World War I and it could have been a very unique and intriguing world but its potential wasn't realized. I never once got this wow feeling or felt like I was immersed in it at all because it wasn't fully developed. As for the characters, Deryn was by far my favorite. She's a girl who disquises herself as a boy to get into the British Air Service and she can fly better then most of the boys too, but again I think a lot more could have been done with her character too. Just not much happened overall with the characters, the world or in the story either. It really was just a simplistic story that's good, but good for kids. I'm going to pass on the rest of the series and keep my eye out for other Steampunk to read. ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
This story is a combination of alternate history and steampunk. It takes place in 1914 when Europe is on the verge of war. It stars Deryn Sharp who has disguised herself as a boy now named Dylan and joined the air corps. She finds herself as a middie on the Leviathan which is a living ship made up of a number of fabricated animals. Deryn and her people are Darwinists because, in this world, Darwin discovered DNA and a craze for creating all sorts of new living beings began.

It also stars Aleksandar who is the son of Archduke Ferdinand. It begins when the Archduke and his wife are assassinated and Alex's loyal subjects are trying to get him to Switzerland and safety. Austia-Hungary is the land of the Clankers. Alex's people have developed all sorts of interesting machines. In fact, they flee in a walker which is sort of like a tank with legs.

The two kids converge on a glacier in Switzerland which is where the Leviathan is forced to land after being attacked by German airships. Alex and his cohorts have a secret base there where his men hope he will spend the war. But he has to see if he can help when the ship comes down.

They have to work together when the forces searching for him and for the Leviathan converge. Add to this a science boffin named Nora Darwin Barlow who has an urgent need to get some egg to the Ottoman Empire and you have all sorts of action.

I loved all the steampunk details both of the Clanker's technology and the Darwinist's beasties. I also like the friendship that grew between "Dylan" and Alex. Deryn was a great character who is determined to be who she wants to be despite the handicap of her gender. She is brave, smart and adventurous.

The story continues in BEHEMOTH and I can't wait to read it. ( )
  kmartin802 | Jun 23, 2016 |

It's 1414 and the Archduke has just been murdered, which will soon lead to The Great War. But his heir, Alec, is alive. He can't stay in his own country if he wants to survive, though. Far away, in London, a young girl disguises herself as a boy in hopes of entering the air-force. Of course this is a steampunk alternate history and so the air force uses gigantic genetically modified beasts to fly and Alec and his allies escape in a huge robot.

This is the first of a trilogy and you can really tell, it doesn't seem to have delivered on anything. This shouldn't be the case with an experienced author like Westerfeld, who's written really good trilogies and series (Uglies, Midnighters) before and made each book interesting on its own account and as part of the whole. Might give "Behemoth" a chance if I come across the audiobook.

askajnaiman | Jun 14, 2016 |
Oy. My 14 yo son talked me into reading this - so the star rating is an average of our two opinions. Our first steampunk. Not his last - he's got the next in the series requested from ILL. It was very well done, I think. Exciting adventure, intriguing but not too complex political intrigue, sympathetic & rich characters, cool contraptions... but, speaking only for myself, I'd probably give it 2.5 stars. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
This was fantastic! A bit reminiscent of Philip Reeve's Mortal Engines saga, but some great original ideas coupled with non-stop action. I love the idea of creating living machines (especially the idea of using hydrogen to fuel them) and I love the mashing of history with future possibilities. The illustrations are wonderful! Roll on the next in the series... ( )
  mmacd3814 | May 30, 2016 |
The novel is a study in opposites, of boy versus girl, working class versus aristocracy, British versus German, and its overlying thematic division of Darwinists and Clankers gives all of these a distinctive torque, while avoiding mapping neatly to any specific agenda. The novel’s concluding set piece features a grand, elegant and very satisfying hybridization that suggests that opposites can meet, collapse and mingle, and that this story has natural sequels, which I will undoubtedly read.

Westerfeld writes gripping, relentless coming-of-age novels that are equally enjoyable by boys and girls, adults and kids, and Leviathan is no exception. I'm looking forward to volume two -- and many more to come.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Oct 6, 2009)

Scott Westerfeldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cumming, AlanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosamilia, MikeDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thompson, KeithIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yuen, Sammy, Jr.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my NYC writing crew,
for knowing the importance of Craft
The Austrian horses glinted in the moonlight, their riders standing tall in the saddle, swords raised.
His Majesty's London Zoo was squawking like a bag of budgies on fire.
No one could night-walk like him.
Having your parents die was exactly like the world exploding, like a war being declared.

Prince Aleksander, would-be heir to the Austro-Hungarian throne, is on the run. His own people have turned on him. His title is worthless. All he has is a battletorn war machine and a loyal crew of men.

Deryn Sharp is a commoner, disguised as a boy in the British Air Service. She's a brilliant airman. But her secret is in constant danger of being discovered.

With World War I brewing, Alek and Deryn's paths cross in the most unexpected way…taking them on a fantastical, around-the-world adventure that will change both their lives forever.

In an alternate 1914 Europe, fifteen-year-old Austrian Prince Alek, on the run from the Clanker Powers who are attempting to take over the globe using mechanical machinery, forms an uneasy alliance with Deryn who, disguised as a boy to join the British Air Service, is learning to fly genetically-engineered beasts.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0670073032, 0143206087

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,451,011 books! | Top bar: Always visible