Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld

Leviathan (edition 2010)

by Scott Westerfeld, Keith Thompson (Illustrator)

3,5312691,498 (4)2 / 503
Authors:Scott Westerfeld
Other authors:Keith Thompson (Illustrator)
Info:Simon Pulse (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 464 pages

Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld

Airborn by Kenneth Oppel (Maid_Marian)
    Behemoth by Scott Westerfeld (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: An alternate history taking place on the eve of World War I.
    His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik (PghDragonMan)
    Boneshaker by Cherie Priest (ahstrick)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (SheReads)
    Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve (Maid_Marian)
    Bloody Jack; Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy by L. A. Meyer (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: 'Both stories are about an adventurous and headstrong girl disguising herself as a boy for a chance to join the military. Jacky is trying to make a living for herself and escape poverty during the Napoleonic Wars and joins the Navy as a ship\'s boy in Bloody Jack. Deryn Sharp wants nothing more than to join the Royal Air Corps in Leviathan - a steampunk alternate history of WWI. Both books are packed full of adventure and spunky protagonists.… (more)
    The Manual of Aeronautics: An Illustrated Guide to the Leviathan Series by Scott Westerfeld (LAKobow)
    Dreadnought by Cherie Priest (SunnySD)
    Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher (majkia)
    majkia: Another coming of age book, but granted, in a completely different environment. Still, both have strong central characters who grow, and change to the backdrop of war, and have a marked impact on their worlds.
    Worldshaker by Richard Harland (Maid_Marian)
    The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, Book 1) by Philip Pullman (Aleana)
    The firebird mystery : a Jack Mason adventure by Darrell Pitt (lkernagh)
    lkernagh: Same style of fast paced, alternate reality adventure with air ships.
    Black Powder War by Naomi Novik (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Alternate histories of great military events tie these together.
    The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Hunchback Assignments by Arthur Slade (ShelfMonkey)

English (267)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (268)
@leviathan +uglies ( )
  Lorem | Oct 2, 2015 |
Steampunk. Mechs. Zeppeliners. Genetically enhanced animals. Genetically enhanced Zeppeliners! First world war. Two likable protagonists. Spies. Bigger mechs.

Loved it. ( )
  StigE | Sep 15, 2015 |
3.5 stars for me. I hated Deryn, but I ended up respecting her in the end. I love Alek, and I feel soooo bad for him, even though he did make a stupid move. Klopp and Volger were both awesome. I hated how Deryn said "barking spiders" and "barking" this and that about twenty times a chapter. Super repetitive and severely annoying. Was that supposed to be swearing? Also I hated how she kept going ON and ON about how Darwinists were better EVERY single MF'ing time someone mentioned Clanker. Shutup! She would never shut her mouth and would always brag, and act like she was the sh**. AND, when Alek helped her and gave her medicine, she alerted everyone and made a big deal out of a simple act of kindness. I wanted to punch her so badly. SOOOO badly. Alek was, in fact, stuck up in the beginning, but after five weeks of life on the run, he became humble. THAT is why I like Alek. Deryn I still can't really stand, but at the end of the book I began to respect her as a character. Other than that, I love the world Westerfeld has created. I might buy Behemoth.

Oh, and I choose Clanker, although the author seems to really focus all of the attention on how Darwinists are better. Alek is running from his own people, so it's like, I can't really choose a side because Westerfeld wants his readers to root for the Darwinists... But I'm going to do it anyway. Besides, fabricated beasts are disgusting, like Alek mentioned.

Clanker, I am, and Clanker I shall remain. ( )
  KillerCorp | Jul 27, 2015 |
I didn't realize this was YA when I started it and I don't read a lot of YA stuff but since I tend to write mostly YA I decided to stick with it. It had a exotic alternate European setting, great steampunk war machines and super cool biomechanical war machines. The characters were pretty standard for YA, heroes who don't know they're heroes yet and one is a girl masquerading as a boy so she can be in the military (I just read a book that had this same idea a couple months ago).

There was a lot of action and the narrator from the audio book did a great job with accents. Unfortunately it ends in the middle of everything. No big mysteries are solved and you still have no idea about the fate of the main characters. Not sure if I'll get to the other books. ( )
  ragwaine | Jul 20, 2015 |
Fun and exciting steampunk novel read by Alan Cumming. Improbable science, but likable characters. The setting is alternate WWI and the parallels with the actual events of WWI are well done. ( )
  themulhern | Apr 19, 2015 |
The novel is a study in opposites, of boy versus girl, working class versus aristocracy, British versus German, and its overlying thematic division of Darwinists and Clankers gives all of these a distinctive torque, while avoiding mapping neatly to any specific agenda. The novel’s concluding set piece features a grand, elegant and very satisfying hybridization that suggests that opposites can meet, collapse and mingle, and that this story has natural sequels, which I will undoubtedly read.
Westerfeld writes gripping, relentless coming-of-age novels that are equally enjoyable by boys and girls, adults and kids, and Leviathan is no exception. I'm looking forward to volume two -- and many more to come.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Oct 6, 2009)

Scott Westerfeldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cumming, AlanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosamilia, MikeDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thompson, KeithIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yuen, Sammy, Jr.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my NYC writing crew,
for knowing the importance of Craft
The Austrian horses glinted in the moonlight, their riders standing tall in the saddle, swords raised.
His Majesty's London Zoo was squawking like a bag of budgies on fire.
No one could night-walk like him.
Having your parents die was exactly like the world exploding, like a war being declared.

Prince Aleksander, would-be heir to the Austro-Hungarian throne, is on the run. His own people have turned on him. His title is worthless. All he has is a battletorn war machine and a loyal crew of men.

Deryn Sharp is a commoner, disguised as a boy in the British Air Service. She's a brilliant airman. But her secret is in constant danger of being discovered.

With World War I brewing, Alek and Deryn's paths cross in the most unexpected way…taking them on a fantastical, around-the-world adventure that will change both their lives forever.

In an alternate 1914 Europe, fifteen-year-old Austrian Prince Alek, on the run from the Clanker Powers who are attempting to take over the globe using mechanical machinery, forms an uneasy alliance with Deryn who, disguised as a boy to join the British Air Service, is learning to fly genetically-engineered beasts.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0670073032, 0143206087

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,808,830 books! | Top bar: Always visible