Hate list by Jennifer Brown

Hate list

by Jennifer Brown

Recently added byFaithLibrarian, blog_gal, private library, Katy11, Gillyisanotaku, jennyborkbork

English (70)  German (1)  All languages (71)
I can see why kids love this book--just not sure if we need it.
School Shooter's girlfriend has to work out her feelings after he goes into their school and shoots several students. While she did have a "Hate List" with him, to her it had been a joke while he was serious about it.
Police, her family, fellow students and administrators all try to get the real story. ( )
  FaithLibrarian | Jul 27, 2014 |
Astounding! If I hadn't already read her latest book "Torn Away" I'd give this 5 stars, but that one was so good the bar is pretty high in my expectations for this author. This is Brown's first book and one I had wanted to read but the school shooting theme sort of made me roll my eyes as that's mostly been done and finished in my book. However, "The Hate List" is different, really quite different. The focus is not on the shooter, nor on the student body's recovery afterwards. Yes, those things are certainly there and important to the story. But those aspects are shown through the eyes of the girlfriend, the shooter's girlfriend. This is her story. How she met Nick, fell in love, became his girlfriend. Sure Nick talked about death a lot, so she did too, but that was just their "thing", wasn't it? Sure she was the one who started the Hate List but it was just a game. Who knew Nick took it so seriously? She was just as surprised as anyone else that day when the gun came out and the shooting started. She needed recovery too. She can't help that the people targeted were those on the Hate List. She didn't know Nick thought she wanted this too. The police think she did too. She's a suspect, she didn't shoot anyone, in fact she got shot. She took a bullet aimed at her worst enemy to make Nick stop. But she's a suspect. She's also a hero. This is her story and wow! was I riveted. I was there along beside Valerie the whole way. She is 17 and such a truly real character; I don't think there is any teenager who hasn't shared many of the feelings that fleet Valerie's mind. Her life sucks at times, sometimes because her parents are too wrapped up in themselves and sometimes because she does stupid teenager things. But she's a good kid who got herself into a terrible situation that many people have to recover from, including herself. Valerie's not the only one hurting from guilt though and the revelations at the end are truly heartbreaking. When we cross paths with someone truly disturbed, who is calling out for help in their own way, we can all too easily find the coulda/woulda/shoulda guilt. I've found a new author I'm terribly impressed with. Her characters and dialogue are so achingly real it hurts. ( )
  ElizaJane | Jul 11, 2014 |
One of my goals in freeing up some time in my reading schedule is to do more readalongs with my blogger friends, because it’s REALLY nice to be able to discuss books I’ve just read and actually still remember with people. So, anyway, Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) and I agreed to read Hate List, which we both owned and had totally failed to read it. Jamie read it right on schedule and I…did not, sad to say. I overestimated how far along I was in my pile. However, I finally got to Hate List and it was good in a heart- and trope-stabbity way.

Read the full review at A Reader of Fictions. ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Jun 29, 2014 |
I loved this book, its amazing, very real, sad and completely engrossing. I came to it not really knowing what to expect and it left me with totally mixed emotions and I have to say it really surprised me. Most teenage books with any dramatic content narrated by a girl usually have this happy ending and some boy who they needed to help them through their problems, not Valerie, shes too independent and aware of herself and is all the better for it.

As for the actual plot, it frustrated me so much, having to suffer with Valerie the ignorance of the morons in her life who wanted to blame her for their problems, especially her family. At times I could see their point of view, but in reality I knew that Valerie wasn't selfish or an attention seeker, she was just an easy scape-goat for their own shortcomings, in particular her father. I can say for certain having compared him to my own father that Valerie's is the worst parent ever, he blamed her for everything and was extremely vocal about it. He acts as if he has something to forgive her for when in reality all she did was postpone him from escaping his responsibilities, forget him escaping Valerie, I was happy to see her escape him.

I know I am very off topic here so back to the main plot. I was happy to see that Valerie was capable of coming to terms with what happened and that she didn't just run and hide, she had no reason to have to hide. What these people did to her was blame the last living person they could and it was atrocious. I was delighted to see everyone eventually acknowledge the fact that Nick was human too and that although none of the people deserved to die, they weren't totally innocent either, something set Nick off in the first place. I think this shows the really important points that you have to be so careful what you say to people who may be suffering other things in their lives apart from you and also that when you say you hate someone like a classmate, chances are you don't really know them, which very importantly works both ways.

I think this book served to show that their are two sides to every story and even if it wasn't the shooter himself we heard speaking, I believe it was perhaps more important to hear the girl he left behind, the one who cared. ( )
  katie1802 | May 10, 2014 |
At the beginning, I thought this book lacked the intensity and insight of We Need to Talk About Kevin but, luckily, Jennifer Brown changed my mind.

This book examines the events leading up to the school shooting and the impact on the survivors, specifically the girlfriend of the shooter who inadvertently fed into his hatred. It is tragic that high school (as portrayed in the book) is still as ugly as ever for the marginalized kids, and really a damaging environment for everyone. The book also shows how the media is less interested in truth and more interested in what will sell and how families play into the culture of judgement. Unfortunately, I suspect this novel is filled with painful truths and tragedies. A somewhat hopeful ending, without being untrue to the narrative. Deeply moving. ( )
  Bonnie_Ferrante | Apr 14, 2014 |

Jennifer Brownprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bergboer, ErnstTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We'll show the world they were wrong
And teach them all to sing along
--Nickelback
For Scott
[From the Garvin County Sun-Tribune,
May 3, 2008, Reporter Angela Dash]

The scene in the Garvin High School cafeteria, known as the Commons, is being described as "grim" by investigators who are working to identify the victims of a shoot spree that erupted Friday morning.

Five months ago, Valerie Leftman's boyfriend, Nick, opened fire on their school cafeteria. Shot trying to stop him, Valerie inadvertently saved the life of a classmate, but was implicated in the shootings because of the list she helped create. A list of people and things she and Nick hated. The list he used to pick his targets.

Now, after a summer of seclusion, Val is forced to confront her guilt as she returns to school to complete her senior year. Haunted by the memory of the boyfriend she still loves and navigating rocky relationships with her family, former friends and the girl whose life she saved, Val must come to grips with the tragedy that took place and her role in it, in order to make amends and move on with her life.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:19 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Valerie, whose boyfriend Nick committed a school shooting at the end of their junior year, struggles to cope with integrating herself back into high school life, unsure herself whether she was a hero or a villain.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,699,458 books! | Top bar: Always visible