dismiss

Hate List

by Jennifer Brown

Sixteen-year-old Valerie, whose boyfriend Nick committed a school shooting at the end of their junior year, struggles to cope with integrating herself back into high school life, unsure herself whether she was a hero or a villain.

English (98)  German (1)  All languages (99)
n her junior year of high school, Valerie's boyfriend opens fire on the student body in the Commons area of school, killing classmates, before turning the gun on himself. Nick's targets are people that he and Valerie had put on their Hate List - a list of people that they didn't like and thought should die. Now, in the aftermath, Valerie has to come to terms with her boyfriend's actions and her role in them. After all, she did start the Hate List. For a while, the police question whether or not she was an active participant.

This was an excellent book. It was very well written, tight lines, there wasn't a wasted sentence in the book. In addition, Jennifer Brown did an amazing job making me feel for the characters, sympathize with them and hope that somehow they were able to work everything out right. I highly recommend this book. ( )
  melrailey | Apr 7, 2020 |
Very powerful read. ( )
  Kayla.Krantz | Feb 14, 2020 |
"The book starts the summer after the protagonist’s, Valerie, boyfriend shoots many students in Garvin High School. Valerie feels responsible for the shooting and everyone is blaming her. However, Valerie fights herself and her peers throughout the book for forgiveness. "
  dneirick | Jun 13, 2019 |
I really loved this book until the end. Then I really liked it. ( )
  kweber319 | May 13, 2019 |
This was one of the older books on my shelf, so I decided it was time to pick it up. I knew going into this that it was going to deal with a sensitive subject: school shootings. I was not expecting this to be as impactful as it was.

This is a book that I think everyone should read, especially school aged children. This story really shows how your words can kill. Valerie started a Hate List with her boyfriend Nick. She never took it at face value, and made comments and talked about these people dying. Imagine her horror when Nick opened fire at school to take out the list of people. This story was very emotional and had me in tears more than once. There were times I was crying, mad, shocked, and happy. You see villains turn into hero’s and friends.

Overall, I loved this. ( )
  SimplyKelina | Mar 12, 2019 |

Jennifer Brownprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bergboer, ErnstTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We'll show the world they were wrong
And teach them all to sing along
--Nickelback
For Scott
[From the Garvin County Sun-Tribune,
May 3, 2008, Reporter Angela Dash]

The scene in the Garvin High School cafeteria, known as the Commons, is being described as "grim" by investigators who are working to identify the victims of a shoot spree that erupted Friday morning.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,124,819 books! | Top bar: Always visible