Hate List by Jennifer Brown

Hate List

by Jennifer Brown

English (83)  German (1)  All languages (84)
This book is amazing! It gives you good inside to the lives of students after a shooting. ( )
  Lisa_Boys | Feb 8, 2016 |
The author makes Valerie a believable character. She's flawed, struggling to define herself and find her way out of the mess she's in. Is she a monster or a hero? Perhaps a bit of both. She makes wrong choices repeatedly, but not out of real malice. The author succeeds in making Valerie mostly sympathetic, with a hint of selfishness and disregard for others - something she tries to remedy in the end. The story ends on a hopeful for some characters, but it's a story where there really can't be a happy ending. ( )
  keindi | Jan 23, 2016 |
"Hate List" is a gripping story I found hard to put down. The book deals with the aftermath of a high school shooting rampage by one of its students. It is told from Valerie's perspective, the girlfriend of the shooter, who at first I wasn't sure I was going to like, as she is partially to blame for the killings. There were times I was quite frustrated and cross with Valerie, but in the end I could feel her pain, grief, guilt, anger, confusion and finally her healing.

I liked how the author imcorporated flashbacks to the actual event as it allowed the reader to understand Nick a bit better through Valerie's eyes and the relationship they shared, while the newspaper articles scattered throughout the book gave other viewpoints to the shootings.

This is quite an emotional book, and by the end when Valerie and her class graduated, I was in tears - which is rare for me. With complex characters and deep issues, "Hate List" is a great read. ( )

Jennifer Brownprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bergboer, ErnstTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We'll show the world they were wrong
And teach them all to sing along
--Nickelback
For Scott
[From the Garvin County Sun-Tribune,
May 3, 2008, Reporter Angela Dash]

The scene in the Garvin High School cafeteria, known as the Commons, is being described as "grim" by investigators who are working to identify the victims of a shoot spree that erupted Friday morning.

Five months ago, Valerie Leftman's boyfriend, Nick, opened fire on their school cafeteria. Shot trying to stop him, Valerie inadvertently saved the life of a classmate, but was implicated in the shootings because of the list she helped create. A list of people and things she and Nick hated. The list he used to pick his targets.

Now, after a summer of seclusion, Val is forced to confront her guilt as she returns to school to complete her senior year. Haunted by the memory of the boyfriend she still loves and navigating rocky relationships with her family, former friends and the girl whose life she saved, Val must come to grips with the tragedy that took place and her role in it, in order to make amends and move on with her life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:03 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Valerie, whose boyfriend Nick committed a school shooting at the end of their junior year, struggles to cope with integrating herself back into high school life, unsure herself whether she was a hero or a villain.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,157,748 books! | Top bar: Always visible