Hate list by Jennifer Brown

Hate list

by Jennifer Brown

English (68)  German (1)  All languages (69)
One of my goals in freeing up some time in my reading schedule is to do more readalongs with my blogger friends, because it’s REALLY nice to be able to discuss books I’ve just read and actually still remember with people. So, anyway, Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) and I agreed to read Hate List, which we both owned and had totally failed to read it. Jamie read it right on schedule and I…did not, sad to say. I overestimated how far along I was in my pile. However, I finally got to Hate List and it was good in a heart- and trope-stabbity way.

Read the full review at A Reader of Fictions. ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Jun 29, 2014 |
I loved this book, its amazing, very real, sad and completely engrossing. I came to it not really knowing what to expect and it left me with totally mixed emotions and I have to say it really surprised me. Most teenage books with any dramatic content narrated by a girl usually have this happy ending and some boy who they needed to help them through their problems, not Valerie, shes too independent and aware of herself and is all the better for it.

As for the actual plot, it frustrated me so much, having to suffer with Valerie the ignorance of the morons in her life who wanted to blame her for their problems, especially her family. At times I could see their point of view, but in reality I knew that Valerie wasn't selfish or an attention seeker, she was just an easy scape-goat for their own shortcomings, in particular her father. I can say for certain having compared him to my own father that Valerie's is the worst parent ever, he blamed her for everything and was extremely vocal about it. He acts as if he has something to forgive her for when in reality all she did was postpone him from escaping his responsibilities, forget him escaping Valerie, I was happy to see her escape him.

I know I am very off topic here so back to the main plot. I was happy to see that Valerie was capable of coming to terms with what happened and that she didn't just run and hide, she had no reason to have to hide. What these people did to her was blame the last living person they could and it was atrocious. I was delighted to see everyone eventually acknowledge the fact that Nick was human too and that although none of the people deserved to die, they weren't totally innocent either, something set Nick off in the first place. I think this shows the really important points that you have to be so careful what you say to people who may be suffering other things in their lives apart from you and also that when you say you hate someone like a classmate, chances are you don't really know them, which very importantly works both ways.

I think this book served to show that their are two sides to every story and even if it wasn't the shooter himself we heard speaking, I believe it was perhaps more important to hear the girl he left behind, the one who cared. ( )
  katie1802 | May 10, 2014 |
At the beginning, I thought this book lacked the intensity and insight of We Need to Talk About Kevin but, luckily, Jennifer Brown changed my mind.

This book examines the events leading up to the school shooting and the impact on the survivors, specifically the girlfriend of the shooter who inadvertently fed into his hatred. It is tragic that high school (as portrayed in the book) is still as ugly as ever for the marginalized kids, and really a damaging environment for everyone. The book also shows how the media is less interested in truth and more interested in what will sell and how families play into the culture of judgement. Unfortunately, I suspect this novel is filled with painful truths and tragedies. A somewhat hopeful ending, without being untrue to the narrative. Deeply moving. ( )
  Bonnie_Ferrante | Apr 14, 2014 |
This was a very strong and intensely emotional book to read. I loved Val's point of view, even when it was hard to read about what happened at her high school earlier that year. It felt like Brown approached this topic with real honesty, even when it made the story difficult to read at some points. I am really looking forward to her next book. ( )
  bladechik99 | Feb 28, 2014 |
This is my all-time favourite book. It's the story of a teenage couple, a school shooting, and all that follows. The main character is a teen girl going back to the school where, last year, there was a school shooting. She has a bullet wound in her leg and is widely detested by the entire school for her involvement in the killing. ( )
  KatClark | Jan 2, 2014 |

Jennifer Brownprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bergboer, ErnstTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We'll show the world they were wrong
And teach them all to sing along
--Nickelback
For Scott
[From the Garvin County Sun-Tribune,
May 3, 2008, Reporter Angela Dash]

The scene in the Garvin High School cafeteria, known as the Commons, is being described as "grim" by investigators who are working to identify the victims of a shoot spree that erupted Friday morning.

Five months ago, Valerie Leftman's boyfriend, Nick, opened fire on their school cafeteria. Shot trying to stop him, Valerie inadvertently saved the life of a classmate, but was implicated in the shootings because of the list she helped create. A list of people and things she and Nick hated. The list he used to pick his targets.

Now, after a summer of seclusion, Val is forced to confront her guilt as she returns to school to complete her senior year. Haunted by the memory of the boyfriend she still loves and navigating rocky relationships with her family, former friends and the girl whose life she saved, Val must come to grips with the tragedy that took place and her role in it, in order to make amends and move on with her life.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:19 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Valerie, whose boyfriend Nick committed a school shooting at the end of their junior year, struggles to cope with integrating herself back into high school life, unsure herself whether she was a hero or a villain.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,214,145 books! | Top bar: Always visible