Hate List by Jennifer Brown

Hate List

by Jennifer Brown

Recently added byghsmediacenter, ishamaeli, darkness.visible, private library, buffygurl

English (96)  German (1)  All languages (97)
This was one of the older books on my shelf, so I decided it was time to pick it up. I knew going into this that it was going to deal with a sensitive subject: school shootings. I was not expecting this to be as impactful as it was.

This is a book that I think everyone should read, especially school aged children. This story really shows how your words can kill. Valerie started a Hate List with her boyfriend Nick. She never took it at face value, and made comments and talked about these people dying. Imagine her horror when Nick opened fire at school to take out the list of people. This story was very emotional and had me in tears more than once. There were times I was crying, mad, shocked, and happy. You see villains turn into hero’s and friends.

Overall, I loved this. ( )
  SimplyKelina | Mar 12, 2019 |
After closing the pages of this book, I couldn't stop thinking about it. My mind kept wandering back to Val and everything that she had been through. It's like this book opens up a part of you that is emotionally dormant, until you start to read. Hate List is by far one of the toughest books I've read this year, and yet I was completely invested in every single minute of it. All I can really say is, oh my goodness.

I think what really blew me away was that this particular book is from the point of view of Val. She isn't the shooter, she isn't necessarily a victim (although she is in a way), but instead she's even more than that. Val is the girlfriend, the confidant, the accessory (as people so blindingly label her) to the shooter. Watching things unfold through her eyes was heartbreaking. I'll admit that at first I was slightly frustrated with her. I couldn't seem to understand how she missed so many signs. However Jennifer Brown writes in a way that shows the reader different points of view, and I soon found that I was only seeing what was there because I was being allowed to. Does that make sense at all? Putting myself in Val's shoes, I can see why she missed those early signs.

What was truly heartbreaking though, were the relationships that were crushed in the wake of event. The two people in Val's life who should have been there for her, her parents, were so angry and almost heartless. As a reader, I saw a girl who had no one to really lean on. A girl who was struggling with something bigger than herself without any aid whatsoever. Let's put it this way my dear readers. If you are going to read this book, get a box of tissues. You might also want something to punch, because wow did parts of this make me angry. The writing on the pages is so emotional, so deep, that Hate List will cause you anger, sorrow, and the feeling of utter hopelessness all in one page.

School shootings are a tough subject to handle, but Jennifer Brown does it with the utmost grace and understanding. I got to see the emotions that rolled through each of the characters. I saw the bullying that went on and felt for those who were so fed up, so helpless, that they didn't know where to find an outlet. I walked with Val, as it happened, and sobbed for her. It was intense, it was amazing, it was so beautifully written. Jennifer Brown's Hate List is well worth your time. I'm not sure what else I can write to convince you of that. You'll need to experience it yourself to understand what I really mean. ( )
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
This is a story of a school shooting. Valerie - a high school junior - is walking into her school on a typical May day with her boyfriend Nick. She is upset because a bully has just broken her phone on the bus, and she and Nick are on their way to confront her. What Valerie doesn't know is that Nick has brought a gun to school that day, and plans on taking the lives of several students he felt have "wronged" him over the years.

In the process of the confusion, Valerie is shot before Nick turns the gun on himself. What the story becomes is what happens to Valerie - who survives - returns to life after the shooting. Many people believe she was involved because of Nick. Her parents don't trust her alone. They don't want her to return to school, but she insists she is ready. She needs to prove that she is innocent.

This was an okay book. I actually read the first 250 pages quickly. But then the author seemed to give up. The story just started to fall apart. Things started to resolve pretty quickly without much detail. The father was too evil. The mother too unrealistic. In the end I felt that people forgave too quickly without any details on WHY they decided to.

I don't recommend this book. Only because I feel like it could have been told better. I know the moment when I realized this book wasn't going to be as good as it was when I first started reading it, so that was disappointing. In an age where school shootings are a common occurrence, the author lost the chance to tell a story from a different perspective.
  JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |
I don't know if high school students really like books that adults write that are about "high school students." Or at least that is what I have heard them say. The characters were such stereotypes that I don't know if students would find them anything but "discussion topics." The author admits that she "thought it would be fun to give the characters names with obvious "hidden meanings," but I don't think it worked. Principal Angerson, Nick Levil. Really?
The best character was Dr. Hieler (except for his name) who really had some insight into what was going on in Val's life. Bea was a lot of fun, too, but she seemed to be added because the book was getting too dry and needed some sparkle.
I also feel as if the book is already too dated...no smart phones, no social networking?? ( )
  ioplibrarian | Aug 26, 2018 |
Amazing. Just amazing. ( )
  AdrianaGarcia | Jul 10, 2018 |

Jennifer Brownprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bergboer, ErnstTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We'll show the world they were wrong
And teach them all to sing along
--Nickelback
For Scott
[From the Garvin County Sun-Tribune,
May 3, 2008, Reporter Angela Dash]

The scene in the Garvin High School cafeteria, known as the Commons, is being described as "grim" by investigators who are working to identify the victims of a shoot spree that erupted Friday morning.

Five months ago, Valerie Leftman's boyfriend, Nick, opened fire on their school cafeteria. Shot trying to stop him, Valerie inadvertently saved the life of a classmate, but was implicated in the shootings because of the list she helped create. A list of people and things she and Nick hated. The list he used to pick his targets.

Now, after a summer of seclusion, Val is forced to confront her guilt as she returns to school to complete her senior year. Haunted by the memory of the boyfriend she still loves and navigating rocky relationships with her family, former friends and the girl whose life she saved, Val must come to grips with the tragedy that took place and her role in it, in order to make amends and move on with her life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:03 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Valerie, whose boyfriend Nick committed a school shooting at the end of their junior year, struggles to cope with integrating herself back into high school life, unsure herself whether she was a hero or a villain.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,421,059 books! | Top bar: Always visible