Hate List by Jennifer Brown

Hate List

by Jennifer Brown

English (92)  German (1)  All languages (93)
Amazing. Just amazing. ( )
  AdrianaGarcia | Jul 10, 2018 |
It's only been one semester since Valerie's boyfriend, Nick, murdered several students at their high school before turning the gun on himself. Although she was not involved in the shooting - she didn't even know Nick was going to do it - she's been held to some degree responsible. After all, Valerie was the one who created the Hate List, and it seems that Nick was picking off people who were included upon it. But Valerie was the one to stop the shooting from escalating - saving one student, and getting shot in the leg herself in the process. Is she a hero, or is she responsible? How can she live with this?

Hate List is a fascinating book. The subject matter, as the synopsis shows, is incredibly dark. Jennifer Brown captures the voice of an eighteen year old outcast rather well, and more, the questioning nature of the rest of the town. The way the book is structured, newspaper clippings giving a biography of each of the students shot scattered in front of most of the chapters, serves to drive the gravity of the situation home.

The book reminded me in a lot of ways of the film/play Bang, Bang, You're Dead. While not taking the perspective of the shooter, it does take the perspective of someone more sympathetic to what causes people to go to such extremes. Nick cannot be truly vindicated for what he did, but at the same time the way he was treated is also inexcusable. Hate is a part of life, but it isn't all there is to life. I defy anyone to get through this book and not cry at the last few scenes. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Very thought provoking and yet quite the page turner. I zoomed through this one. I was really caught up in the characters. Trying to decide how would I react in this situation. I found Valerie to be an incredibly strong young girl. I'm not sure I could have stood what she went through. Very real. I think this would be an excellent choice for a book group. Challenging for all ages. ( )
  njcur | May 10, 2018 |
What shocked me was how much everyone hated Valerie after the shooting, from her own family to the people she tried to help. Valerie is blamed for the shooting, even though she didn't actually kill anyone. Maybe she made a bad decision in making the list, but in trying to stop Nick from shooting, she saved another student's life and got shot in the leg. The book start off with switching between the present and the morning of May second, the day of the shooting, and is interspersed with newspaper articles about the victims.Unlike characters in other books, Valerie actually talks about the bullying and her problems, and tries to work them out. A wonderful story of forgiveness for everyone.

"/> ( )
  captainbooknerd | Jan 11, 2018 |
This book went a little long, but I really liked the perspective of the girlfriend of a school shooter. Valerie’s boyfriend Nick shot students in their school based on a Hate List that he and Valerie had been compiling - names of people and things that annoyed them. Valerie feels guilt from contributing to the Hate List, but also for not recognizing that Nick wasn’t just teasing and talking, for failing to see that he was ready to take action. Interesting take on a school shooting, but as I said, a little long. I go back and forth on the ending - I don’t know how else it could have ended, but it was satisfactory overall. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Jan 9, 2018 |

Jennifer Brownprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bergboer, ErnstTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We'll show the world they were wrong
And teach them all to sing along
--Nickelback
For Scott
[From the Garvin County Sun-Tribune,
May 3, 2008, Reporter Angela Dash]

The scene in the Garvin High School cafeteria, known as the Commons, is being described as "grim" by investigators who are working to identify the victims of a shoot spree that erupted Friday morning.

Five months ago, Valerie Leftman's boyfriend, Nick, opened fire on their school cafeteria. Shot trying to stop him, Valerie inadvertently saved the life of a classmate, but was implicated in the shootings because of the list she helped create. A list of people and things she and Nick hated. The list he used to pick his targets.

Now, after a summer of seclusion, Val is forced to confront her guilt as she returns to school to complete her senior year. Haunted by the memory of the boyfriend she still loves and navigating rocky relationships with her family, former friends and the girl whose life she saved, Val must come to grips with the tragedy that took place and her role in it, in order to make amends and move on with her life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:03 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Valerie, whose boyfriend Nick committed a school shooting at the end of their junior year, struggles to cope with integrating herself back into high school life, unsure herself whether she was a hero or a villain.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,030,612 books! | Top bar: Always visible