Hate List by Jennifer Brown

Hate List

by Jennifer Brown

English (78)  German (1)  All languages (79)
I have to say, this book is powerful. I was near tears throughout most of it.
Val's story of life and moving on after a tragedy is quite touching. To be honest, i know quite a few Nick's, and i can be like Val myself at times, so this was definitely a good one.
The story is wonderfully written, it switched back and forth from after the tragedy and what was going on when it happened. Though, i have to admit, i didn't like the newspaper articles (but maybe you weren't supposed to... hm.. in that case... i guess it doesn't really matter)
It's one of those books that are kind of hard to review because they're about very powerful events, in this case, a school shooting and the aftereffects of those impacted and even involved.
It's also hard to review because, to be quite honest, i liked Nick... a whole lot... even after he shot down half the school... maybe it's because... i don't even know. I just, felt the exact same way as Val did throughout the entire book.
Which, i suppose, is a very good thing, as well as a mark of excellent writing.
The only part i didn't like was Jessica... i just... didn't accept her 'change' (i think it's because i'm like Val... and i don't always see the good in everyone... so i couldn't see Jessica's change as valid.)
(this is hard, i must say)
Really an incredibly well done story, gripping and interesting. I really really loved it. (i also read it in a single afternoon. i do love the summer)
Definitely a very very good one. ( )
  glitzandshadows | Oct 12, 2015 |
This was a sad book. Bullying always bothers me, especially the bullying found in public schools with kids and teenagers. People can be very cruel, and I suppose I feel it’s worse when kids do it because they don’t even realize the trauma they are putting another person through. That’s not quite it because a lot of adults do the same thing, but I’m not sure how to put in other words my disgust for high school bullying. That’s such a fragile time for anyone in the first place and to add on the cruelty is just an equation for trauma: whether it be eating disorders, self-mutilation, school shooting, etc. Anyways, the book was written well in my opinion, with a good solid story behind it. There were a few parts I would have liked to have happened differently but it was good. I liked the open ending and the character development. It’s not an easy topic to read about but I would recommend this book. ( )
  Kassilem | Oct 1, 2014 |
When Nick Levil shoots up his high school, killing many including himself, everyone is shocked - including his girlfriend Val. Though they'd worked together on a Hate List of those who had been constantly bullying them, she never thought of taking the Hate List to this level. In the aftermath of the shooting, Val learns how hate can be viewed under more than one lens, and how to accept not only herself but others for who they are. Jennifer Brown takes bullying to a new level by asking her viewers, the "bullied" as well as those doing the bullying, to look beyond the obvious and "see things as they really are." Once more, remind yourself of the repercussions of bullying. Words, and actions, are powerful. Think before you act. ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
This is a hard book to read. It is sad that this horrible tragedy is becoming a continuous thing over the past few years. Valerie is constantly living in fear of what others are thinking and saying about her, which makes a lot of sense considering the circumstances she is in. ( )
  FrankieAntenucci | Sep 25, 2014 |
I didn't really know what to think at the start of this book. I've only ever read one book where there's a high school shooting which was Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult, she's one if my favourite authors so as you can tell this book had a lot to live up to in my eyes from the very beginning.

I felt sad for Valerie through out the whole book. Always second guessing herself unsure if she did force Nicks hand, missing him even though it wasn't acceptable to because everyone just expected all the love she had for the boy who was her rock to fade away the minuet he killed those kids. He wasn't a monster, he cracked up after all the abuse he had suffered at the hands of the kids at school though I'm not justifying what he did, not by a long shot, anyone who had ever been bullied knows how it feels to have just had enough. To ask yourself why they can't just leave you alone for one day. And even though you may not have made a hate list you had those people that you would be ok never seeing again.

It reminded me a lot of my own high school experience which allowed me to connect more with the book. No, we didn't have a killer out my school but isn't every school the same?, the kids who walk around thinking they are better than everyone else even though others have done nothing to warrant being treated the way they do. I was bullied relentlessly through out high school because I was different, a lot like Valerie. Everyday I would wish for it to stop and the only time I was happy was break where I had a chance to escape and chose who I wanted to be around. If you had a similar experience or not Jennifer makes you connect with the book in one way or another. Maybe you had parents like Val , who were slowly drifting apart and resented/blamed you for it. Even though all you ever did was want the pain to stop.

I thought was a very well written story, my only problem was I feel like there wasn't enough about Nick. I know that is was from Valerie's point of view but there should have been more about Nick. He was painted as a monster, and even though some students stopped referring to it I felt like no one never truly believed it. I know he killed people, but we never got to see his reasons why. If anything I felt the blame for his bad behavior was put on his friend (who I've forgotten the name of, sorry). ( )
  Staciesnape | Sep 14, 2014 |

Jennifer Brownprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bergboer, ErnstTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We'll show the world they were wrong
And teach them all to sing along
For Scott
[From the Garvin County Sun-Tribune,
May 3, 2008, Reporter Angela Dash]

The scene in the Garvin High School cafeteria, known as the Commons, is being described as "grim" by investigators who are working to identify the victims of a shoot spree that erupted Friday morning.

Five months ago, Valerie Leftman's boyfriend, Nick, opened fire on their school cafeteria. Shot trying to stop him, Valerie inadvertently saved the life of a classmate, but was implicated in the shootings because of the list she helped create. A list of people and things she and Nick hated. The list he used to pick his targets.

Now, after a summer of seclusion, Val is forced to confront her guilt as she returns to school to complete her senior year. Haunted by the memory of the boyfriend she still loves and navigating rocky relationships with her family, former friends and the girl whose life she saved, Val must come to grips with the tragedy that took place and her role in it, in order to make amends and move on with her life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:03 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Valerie, whose boyfriend Nick committed a school shooting at the end of their junior year, struggles to cope with integrating herself back into high school life, unsure herself whether she was a hero or a villain.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,885,836 books! | Top bar: Always visible