Challenger Park by Stephen Harrigan

Challenger Park

by Stephen Harrigan

I love the setting and the occupation of the main characters, married female astronaut Lucy and her family, the young boy with asthma and a younger daughter.. her husband Brian is also an astronaut, with more experience but troubled. I enjoyed the sense of what it must be like to go through training and to experience a space shuttle launch and living on the space station. I was deeply moved by and Lucy's dedication to her children. along with her desire to fly in space. another main character is her trainer Walt, a widower. I have mixed feelings about where the story goes in this novel, but it captivated me and I could not stop listening until I was finished yesterday. Hence three stars, though I wanted to give 4.incidentally, this is one of the first books I found and put on my list when I joined audible.com several years ago, but I held back reading it until now. I'm glad I finally did read it. I feel both sad and glad for the characters by the end. ( )
  StephenMZumbo | Apr 2, 2018 |
i don't know. this is another unlikely audio book the austin public library has bestowed upon me. so far, i don't hate it, and harrigan is at least writing well about children. ( )
  usefuljack | May 17, 2013 |
  usefuljack | May 17, 2013 |
Husband and wife astronauts with two kids. As her marriage hits a rough spot, her son struggles with health problems and she finds herself drawn to her trainer, Lucy goes on her first shuttle mission. I was less intrigued with the characters and family drama than with the finely drawn descriptions of Clear Lake City, Texas (where most moms and dads are connected with the space industry), the astronaut training regimen, and the experience of space flight. This offered some satisfying answers for one who has oftened wondered what the life of an astronaut is really like. Interesting to contemplate how individuals respond to the challenges of training for space, and then living and working there. ( )
  lorielibrarian | Sep 20, 2006 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0375412050, Hardcover)

From the author of the acclaimed and best-selling The Gates of the Alamo, a novel of extraordinary power about what it’s like, and what it means, to journey into space as one of today’s astronauts.

At the novel’s center: Lucy Kincheloe, an astronaut married to an astronaut, the loving mother of two young children, with a fierce ambition to excel in the space program. Her husband, Brian, a rigorous man whose dreams of glory have been blighted by two star-crossed missions. Walt Womack, the steady, unflappable leader of the training team that prepares Lucy for her first shuttle flight.

Lucy has devoted years of intense and focused effort to win her place on a mission, but as her lifelong dream of flying in space comes true, her familiar world appears to be falling apart around her. Her marriage is deteriorating. Her son’s asthma is growing more serious. Her relationship with Walt Womack is becoming dangerously intimate. And when at last she is in space, 240 miles above the earth, and an accident renders the world she left behind appallingly distant—perhaps unreachable—her spirit is tested in gripping and unexpected ways.

In The Gates of the Alamo, Stephen Harrigan’s narrative authority brought a vanished nineteenth-century Texas to vibrant life. In Challenger Park, he does the same with the world of space flight, bringing us up close to the lives—the risks, the friendships, the rituals, the training—of the astronauts and the people who work with them. Harrigan has written an exciting—indeed a thrilling—novel about the contrary pulls of home and adventure, reality and dreams, and the unimaginable experience, the joys and terrors and revelations, of space flight itself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:01 -0400)

"The Gates of the Alamo is a novel about what it's like, and what it means, to journey into space as one of today's astronauts." "At the novel's center: Lucy Kincheloe, an astronaut married to an astronaut, the loving mother of two young children, with a fierce ambition to excel in the space program. Her husband, Brian, a rigorous man whose dreams of glory have been blighted by two star-crossed missions. Walt Womack, the steady, unflappable leader of the training team that prepares Lucy for her first shuttle flight." "Lucy has devoted years of intense and focused effort to win her place on a mission, but as her lifelong dream of flying in space comes true, her familiar world appears to be falling apart around her. Her marriage is deteriorating. Her son's asthma is growing more serious. Her relationship with Walt Womack is becoming dangerously intimate. And when at last she is in space, 240 miles above the earth, and an accident renders the world she left behind appallingly distant - perhaps unreachable - her spirit is tested in gripping and unexpected ways."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,325,429 books! | Top bar: Always visible