Looking For Mr. Goodfrog by Laurie Graff

Looking For Mr. Goodfrog

by Laurie Graff

I decided to read this because I needed something light at the end of the day - I was hoping for a laugh - but was sadly disappointed. I'm surprised I even finished it, but I have a healthy dose of OCD and havenot finished only 4 books in my entire life. From the back:

"Karrie Kline had kissed her share of frogs, But when it came to finding her prince, her pond was dry. With disappointments ranging from a Colorado-bound Casanova to a lascivious lawyer she meets online, Karrie's frustration climbs so high even dreams of meeting her match on her own reality show becomes a nightmare. But she still has her tales."

My review: This ain't Sex and the City! Graff tries for that type of hip detachment and irony, but it falls flat with her first person narrative. It's hard to be detached and ironic when you're retelling your love life, anguishing over your lack of relationships and failing career, and skipping around in time. Graff uses a year to frame her novel from the arrival of a "save the date" card to the actual wedding and a bit beyond, but Karrie's reminiscences are so stream of consciousness (with no scene breaks to signal the reader that a change has taken place)that it's easy to get confused as to when and where a particular anecdote is set. Instead of sympathizing with Karrie, I frequently wanted to tell her to shut up and quit whining.

The best part of the book was the first few pages of the play Karrie develops - written as a play with stage directions and scenery description. If the whole book had been the play, I would have loved it. Anyway, this one seems destined for a wild release. I hope whoever gets it next likes it better than I did. As they say, one woman's trash is another woman's treasure! ( )
  MarysGirl | Sep 7, 2010 |
This awful story is such a depressing tale of dating that you'll want to stay single for the rest of your life! I needed Prozac after reading this book. ( )
  librarymouse | Apr 16, 2006 |

A Fact About Frogging With new species discovered every day, it’s hard to find a rule to catch a good frog, except to say that when it comes to frogs there are no rules at all.

Karrie Kline had kissed her share of frogs. But when it came to finding her prince her pond was dry. With disappointments ranging from a Colorado bound Casonova to a lascivious lawyer she meets online, Karrie’s frustration climbs so high even dreams of meeting her match on her own reality show become a nightmare. But she still has her tales. An enterprising actress, Karrie turns her dating stories into a successful one-woman show. Has her quest to put her bad-date karma to good use turned her into a dating pariah? Her old frogs are hopping out of the woodwork. But offstage, Karrie journeys back to the beginning to figure out how she got here. From finding her very first tadpole on up to her biggest horniest toad, Karrie comes away with an even stronger sense of herself and relationships, passing on a prince for her own good frog.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:08 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,023,006 books! | Top bar: Always visible