The Lady in the Tower: The Fall of Anne…

The Lady in the Tower: The Fall of Anne Boleyn (Random House Reader's… (edition 2010)

by Alison Weir

Title:The Lady in the Tower: The Fall of Anne Boleyn (Random House Reader's Circle)
Authors:Alison Weir
Info:Ballantine Books (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 464 pages
Tags:Library, Biography, Henry VIII, Anne Boleyn, 2012, British, British Monarchy

The Lady in the Tower: Anne Boleyn by Alison Weir

Recently added bydarthbaker7, thejayray, elstree, crusinchick2000, alandeda, blaisehelen, private library, INorris

I was spurred on to read this book at this time by my recent reading of Weir's book about Mary Boleyn, and I enjoyed this one for the same reasons: the reasoned tone and the willingness to carefully consider various views into her subject. ( )
  mari_reads | Oct 20, 2015 |
Anne Boleyn is perhaps the most intriguing of Henry VIII's wives: He pursued her for over six years, kept at arm's length, and made enemies where he could have had friends had he stayed married to Katherine of Aragon. But he chose Anne. Henry, and Anne, had high hopes of having a male heir to the throne of England, something Katherine had been unable to give Henry. But as the years pass, with only one living child, Elizabeth, and several miscarriages, the king is unhappy. But was he unhappy enough to make up charges in order to have Queen Anne, the queen he had so insistently pursued for so long, killed? The Lady in the Tower lays out the last four months of Anne's life, and what she may have been going through as she waited in the Tower until her verdict was given. Alison Weir is a master at writing about the Tudor time period; her research is impeccable and her conclusions fair. In this book, she contends Anne was not guilty of the crimes of which she was charged, and which ultimately caused her to lose her life. Thorough evidence is given for Anne's innocence, and I can believe she was, but we will of course never know. I find Anne the most interesting of Henry's wives, and I wonder if she really did commit some of the crimes of which she was accused; she was in danger, and she knew it, but would she go so far to save her life and her throne? The evidence in the book makes it hard to think she would, but I am still a little suspicious. I love all things Tudor, and this book didn't disappoint. Awesome detail and research about a woman with whom I would love to have a little chat. ( )
  litgirl29 | Jun 15, 2015 |
From one of the world's foremost popular historians, a detailed and intricate portrait of the last days of one of the most influential and important figures in English history.The imprisonment and execution of Queen Anne Boleyn, Henry VIII's second wife, was unprecedented in the annals of English history. It was sensational in its day, and has exerted endless fascination over the minds of historians, novelists, dramatists, poets, artists, and filmmakers... ( )
  Tutter | Feb 20, 2015 |
I love Alison Weir's books; she has the ability to turn history into a fascinating story and not just facts. She has a few new ideas and concepts that I hadn't read before about Anne Boleyn. This was yet another treasure to add to all her other books. ( )
  JEB5 | Oct 30, 2013 |
Alison Weir has a knack for making history interesting and easy to read for the non-historian. I enjoyed her examination of Anne Boleyn's fall and ultimate death - especially the brief look at Anne's reputation throughout the intervening years since her death. ( )
  TnTexas | Apr 1, 2013 |
A history book written with all the intrigue and tension of a novel, Weir's just-published The Lady in the Tower is what the author calls "a forensic investigation" of the queen's last four months
added by bongiovi | editNPR (Jan 24, 2010)
Her new book focuses on the last few months of Anne’s life. She has sifted the sources, examining their reliability. Doubts have already been cast on Weir’s assumptions; the historian John Guy has recently suggested that two sources she took to be mutually corroborating are in fact one and the same person. This doesn’t invalidate her brave effort to lay bare, for the Tudor fan, the bones of the controversy and evaluate the range of opinion about Anne’s fall.
This book is dedicated to a dear friend, Father Luke (Rev. Canon Anthony Verhees), to mark his eightieth birthday.
This is where my interest in history began, many years ago, with Anne Boleyn and the dramatic story of her fall.

Examines the events, motives, and evidence gathered that sealed the fate of Anne Boleyn leading to her execution in 1536, and reveals the witnesses and charges against her.

The tempestuous love affair between Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn scandalized Christendom and altered forever the religious landscape of England. Acclaimed historian and bestselling author Alison Weir draws on myriad sources from the Tudor era to examine, in unprecedented depth, the gripping, dark, and chilling story of Anne Boleyn's final days.… (more)

393 wanted2 pay4 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,872,799 books! | Top bar: Always visible