Witch & Wizard by James Patterson

Witch & Wizard (original 2009; edition 2011)

by James Patterson, Gabrielle Charbonnet

Title:Witch & Wizard
Authors:James Patterson
Other authors:Gabrielle Charbonnet
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2011), Edition: Mti, Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages

Witch & Wizard by James Patterson (2009)

The Giver by Lois Lowry (BriarRose88)
    BriarRose88: Both have the same futurisitic/controlling setting with strong kids as the main character. They both have the same idea that if the world has become bad, someone needs to do something about it ensure change happens.
    1984 by George Orwell (Unionhawk)

English (134)  Spanish (1)  All languages (135)
There's too much in this book that you kind of just have to accept as is, which really, in my opinion, lessens its impact. How did this new government take control if so few people knew about the witches and wizards the government wants to protect society from? How come the main characters were only vaguely aware of a regime change (much in the vein of - oh, yeah. We have a completely new government. I heard something about that awhile back...). It appears to be presenting itself as an allegory to Third Reich, but it really falls flat. Parts of the book were worthy of completely zoning out without missing anything interspersed with, "Oh...this is kinda cool..." ( )
  benuathanasia | Aug 13, 2016 |
Usually I like YA fantasy and, as this one was hyped as 'the next Harry Potter', I eagerly downloaded it and began to read. And thought "it's got to get better than this"...and continued to read...and thought "it's got to get better" ...and...it never got better. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
gave it two stars because i am feeling generous,but like most of James Patterson's more recent books it was disappointing.

Totalitarian regimes and kids with magical powers,or to put it another way 1984 meets Harry Potter.In the hands of a more talented writer this might have worked. I assume that this is just the first in a series so it might have been nice to spend some time on character development, all I know about the main characters apart from the fact that they are a witch and a wizard is that the girl has red hair and freckles and her brother is a football hunk.

The best I can say about it is that like all James Patterson books it is a quick and easy read. ( )
  KarenDuff | Jun 1, 2016 |
Review: Witch & Wizard by James Patterson.

This is the number one book to Patterson’s new series, Witch & Wizard. I thought the book had a decent plot that was interesting but with such short chapters the story seems to fly by to fast. In some areas I thought it could have had more expansion to the scenario being created and there could have been more development done with the characters. Plus some characters were within the story for a page or two and they never appeared in the story again. This being the first book to the series may have been written this way to allow the readers to just get their toes wet to set up for the following series. I do think it was a good read with serious action and adventure but the comedic aspect is what held my interest.

The story goes back and forth between two characters, Whit and his sister Wisty who were home sleeping when their home was invaded by a new government regime determined to rid the world of everything and anyone that does not follow their order. Whit and Wisty unknown to themselves are assumed to be a Witch and Wizard by the New Order. They were taken from their parents who did know information about their children’s background. The New order did allow them to take one thing each from home that was sentimental to them. The mother gave Wisty a drumstick and told her to keep it with her and the father gave Whit an old book with blank pages and told him to take it wherever he went. At this time they were mystified why these objects were given to them.

It wasn’t until that night they were kidnapped that their powers started to come to light. They were taken to a prison full of other children ages of four to seventeen and locked in a cell together. Within a short period of time they were brought up before a judge of the New Order and was told they would be executed on their eighteenth birthday and as it was Whit would be turning eighteen within a month, his sister was only sixteen. However, as they discovered their powers a little at a time they became destructive and determined to save the children and find their parents. In the meantime they caused a lot of chaos that they both were going to be executed within days.

The action and adventure begins when they first got to the prison. They were helped to escape by a former girlfriend of Whit’s and another person who belonged to an underground kid’s organization. Their powers got stronger and they become wiser to who worked for the New Order and who didn’t. The story goes on with fire, lightening, transforming powers and some attitude adjustment to a school mate they didn’t like who became a true animal (weasel) when he finally got on their nerves….among all the chaos and strange behavior the story comes to an end set up to continue to the next book….
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
Horrible. I like to check out what my kids are into. I noticed they both read this and liked it but didn't have much to say about it. Now I know why. Uggg... ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |

James Pattersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Charbonnet, Gabriellesecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Locke, SpencerNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I believe in aristocracy...Not an aristocracy of power, based upon rank and influence, but an aristocracy of the sensitive, the considerate and the plucky. Its members are to be found in all nations and classes, and all through the ages, and there is a secret understanding between them when they meet. They represent the true human tradition, the one permanent victory of our queer race over cruelty and chaos.
--E.M. Forster, from Two Cheers for Democracy
For Andrea Spooner, our hero
Oh, yes - what he said
It's overwhelming.

The world is changing: the government has seized control of every aspect of society, and now, kids are disappearing. For 15-year-old Wisty and her older brother Whit, life turns upside down when they are torn from their parents one night and slammed into a secret prison for no reason they can comprehend. The New Order, as it is known, is clearly trying to suppress Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Being a Normal Teenager. But while trapped in this totalitarian nightmare, Wisty and Whit discover they have incredible powers they'd never dreamed of. Can this newly minted witch and wizard master their skills in time to save themselves, their parents--and maybe the world?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:42 -0400)

A sister and brother, along with thousands of young people, have been kidnapped and either thrown in prison or turned up missing after accusations of witchcraft were made against them, and the ruling regime will do anything in order to suppress life and liberty, music and books.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,743,881 books! | Top bar: Always visible