Witch & Wizard by James Patterson

Witch & Wizard (original 2009; edition 2011)

by James Patterson, Gabrielle Charbonnet

Member:br13rosa
Title:Witch & Wizard
Authors:James Patterson
Other authors:Gabrielle Charbonnet
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2011), Edition: Mti, Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages

Witch & Wizard by James Patterson (2009)

The Giver by Lois Lowry (BriarRose88)
    BriarRose88: Both have the same futurisitic/controlling setting with strong kids as the main character. They both have the same idea that if the world has become bad, someone needs to do something about it ensure change happens.
    1984 by George Orwell (Unionhawk)

English (131)  Spanish (1)  All languages (132)
Horrible. I like to check out what my kids are into. I noticed they both read this and liked it but didn't have much to say about it. Now I know why. Uggg... ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
Okay, my darlings, this book. Thissssssss boookkk, oh. My. Gosh. It is was so good! I have never really read a book surrounding wizards (besides Harry Potter, of course), so I didn't know exactly what to expect. I had actually not had any desire to read a wizardy book. I dunno, I guess....

Read the rest of this review (along with many more) on the CommonBookSense blog!

http://commonbooksense.blogspot.com/2016/02/BookReview-WitchAndWizard.html ( )
  CommonBookSense | Mar 19, 2016 |
After reading the Hunger Games at the recommendation of my 12 year old son, I wanted to read a few more of the middle school favorites. This book takes a few plot twists from all of the current "hot" books and applies a formula to creating fiction. Just not interesting, innovative, or creative enough to entice me to finish the next two books in the series. ( )
  Darwa | Mar 18, 2016 |
Brother and sister Wisteria and Whitford Allgood discover they have magical powers after being seized from their home in the middle of the night. The New Order has taken control and created a new law of the land; meaning all undesirables find themselves in jail. (This review refers to the audiobook production).

This was an excellent book to listen to in the car: Enough detail to remain interesting, but not so complicated and plot heavy that it was hard to follow. I was very pleased to note that for the audiobook production, Spencer Locke voiced Wisty and Elijah Wood voiced Whit. After a while though, I found myself groaning when it was Wisty's turn (which was often). The continuous teen inflection, though appropriate, is something I have a hard time with over an extended period of time.

The text itself was enjoyable and I managed to get over my annoyance at her voice since the story was so interesting. The characters are likable and change over time. There was a vague moment of preachy-ness that only certain teens could appreciate, while others would roll their eyes.Teen dystopia is a hot genre and this is a nice, not too heavy addition.

This is my first Patterson novel and though I felt that teenager-isms were included to remind listeners that this is a young adult book, I would recommend it to others. I'm also looking forward to the release of Book 2. ( )
  jennk | Mar 11, 2016 |
This was a great book. The chapters are short, and I loved the concept. The character formation rocks and the authors mix humor nicely together. It's suspenseful! It does take a little while to take off in the start, though. ( )
  BookNerd26 | Mar 5, 2016 |

James Pattersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Charbonnet, Gabriellesecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Locke, SpencerNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I believe in aristocracy...Not an aristocracy of power, based upon rank and influence, but an aristocracy of the sensitive, the considerate and the plucky. Its members are to be found in all nations and classes, and all through the ages, and there is a secret understanding between them when they meet. They represent the true human tradition, the one permanent victory of our queer race over cruelty and chaos.
--E.M. Forster, from Two Cheers for Democracy
For Andrea Spooner, our hero
--J.P.
Oh, yes - what he said
--G.C.
It's overwhelming.

The world is changing: the government has seized control of every aspect of society, and now, kids are disappearing. For 15-year-old Wisty and her older brother Whit, life turns upside down when they are torn from their parents one night and slammed into a secret prison for no reason they can comprehend. The New Order, as it is known, is clearly trying to suppress Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Being a Normal Teenager. But while trapped in this totalitarian nightmare, Wisty and Whit discover they have incredible powers they'd never dreamed of. Can this newly minted witch and wizard master their skills in time to save themselves, their parents--and maybe the world?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:42 -0400)

A sister and brother, along with thousands of young people, have been kidnapped and either thrown in prison or turned up missing after accusations of witchcraft were made against them, and the ruling regime will do anything in order to suppress life and liberty, music and books.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 877 books! | Top bar: Always visible