Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Witch & Wizard by James Patterson

Witch & Wizard (original 2009; edition 2011)

by James Patterson, Gabrielle Charbonnet

Member:teresaaaaa
Title:Witch & Wizard
Authors:James Patterson
Other authors:Gabrielle Charbonnet
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2011), Edition: Mti, Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Teens, Nook
Rating:*

Witch and Wizard by James Patterson (2009)

The Giver by Lois Lowry (BriarRose88)
    BriarRose88: Both have the same futurisitic/controlling setting with strong kids as the main character. They both have the same idea that if the world has become bad, someone needs to do something about it ensure change happens.
    Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (Unionhawk)

In the fantasy novel Witch and Wizard by James Patterson the story starts where two siblings find out they are supposedly a witch and wizard. Wisty, the younger sister is the supposed witch and the older brother is Whit who is thought to be a wizard. The siblings are confronted at their home in the middle of the night when "the one who is the one" comes with soldiers to arrest Whit and Wisty. They are allowed to take an object from their family to take to prison with them. Wisty gets a drumstick and Whit gets an empty journal. When they first get the objects they are grateful, but disappointed that they aren't getting something special with meaning. When they are dragged to prison Wisty literally ignites into flames and burns the soldiers.When Whit puts out the fire she is surprised that she is not burned.The soldiers dropped her but now they see she is extinguished so they grab her and Whit to bring them into a big van. They drive for a long time and they arrive at the prison.
In the dark prison they find out there are a lot of child prisoners. After a while in that prison they are taken to a courtroom where they find the one who judges. They are both sentenced to execution,but it is illegal for them to be executed until they are the age of 18. The problem is that Whit is only a couple months away from his 18th birthday. Wisty is very concentrated so she thinks of a plague and it actually happens. After Wisty displaying her powers Whit and Wisty are taken to a bigger prison and they are labeled as extremely dangerous. They get to the prison and they are escorted to their room and told that the prison has magic dampening powers. Obviously it didn’t work because Whit found Wisty floating while she was sleeping. The only way to get their food was to make past vicious dogs and fill their pail then make it back in four minutes.When it was Whit and Wisty’s turn, They couldn’t eat the food they got because the were about twenty seconds after four minutes. When Whit and Wisty decided enough was enough they decided to try to escape. Whit had put his head through a wall into another dimension and saw that his missing girlfriend, Celia, had died and became a ghost. Celia had come through the wall to lead Whit and Wisty to safety. Before they could leave they ran into their enemy from school who is working with the one who is the one. Wisty turns Byron into a ferret and he follows Whit and Wisty to another dimension where Celia lives. The only way to get to the portal is past the dogs. The dogs had become unattached to the wall and Wisty told them to freeze and they froze in midair as they passed through with ease. Guards chased them and Wisty unfreezes the dogs, but one decided to go and attack Whit and Wisty. It bumped into the wall where the portal was and was able to follow them through the portal even though some things can’t travel through the portal. When Wisty,Whit,Byron,Celia ,and the dog made it through the portal the dog was no longer vicious it was confused by it’s new surroundings. Whit lets Wisty keep the dog and Wisty names it Feffer,they meet up with some of Celia’s friends and they lead them back to the real world where they stay at a department store full of other children. The children have started forming a small army and they are planning a prison break to save the children in a local prison. They go to the prison and after the prison break the one who is the one tells Whit and Wisty that he does not believe they should be executed ,but then he leaves.
This book was OK. I know that this is a series,but I don’t think I will continue reading.I did not like how the point of view kept switching between chapters,which made it very confusing to read. I also thought that the story moved too fast. Overall the book is not something I would read again or recommend it to anybody unless they really love fantasy and sci fi. ( )
  DeCoBr14 | Sep 17, 2014 |
It was disappointing. There was very little explanation for anything that was happening, which made it all seem extremely artificial. There was little character development, and even though it is told in first person, the frenetic pace, choppy chapters, and abrupt switching between viewpoints does not allow for any connection with them. I have heard that the second book is better, so I will probably give it a try. ( )
  darcy36 | Jul 8, 2014 |
Imagine my disappointment after reading this. I had been looking forward to reading this for a few years now. I don't know what bothered me more the totalitarian settings or the rudimentary writing used for the book. Which doesn't set a very good example for Mr. Patterson, to me. I've held off from reading Patterson because he just has so many books. What a severe let down! ( )
  wickedshizuku | May 12, 2014 |
Brillant book ( )
  Tara.Ross | Mar 14, 2014 |
I wasn't sure I would like this one but hey, it's Patterson, what's not to like? I have to admit I will read the rest of the books just to see what happens but right now I am a little lost in the new world he has created. These types of stories take me a little longer to get into but I all ready love the brother sister team and the challenge of untwisting the books he references and figuring what the real world title is . so far I only missed one... ( )
  LoftyIslanders | Mar 2, 2014 |

James Pattersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Charbonnet, GabrielleAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Charbonnet, Gabriellesecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
I believe in aristocracy...Not an aristocracy of power, based upon rank and influence, but an aristocracy of the sensitive, the considerate and the plucky. Its members are to be found in all nations and classes, and all through the ages, and there is a secret understanding between them when they meet. They represent the true human tradition, the one permanent victory of our queer race over cruelty and chaos.
--E.M. Forster, from Two Cheers for Democracy
For Andrea Spooner, our hero
--J.P.
Oh, yes - what he said
--G.C.
It's overwhelming.

The world is changing: the government has seized control of every aspect of society, and now, kids are disappearing. For 15-year-old Wisty and her older brother Whit, life turns upside down when they are torn from their parents one night and slammed into a secret prison for no reason they can comprehend. The New Order, as it is known, is clearly trying to suppress Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Being a Normal Teenager. But while trapped in this totalitarian nightmare, Wisty and Whit discover they have incredible powers they'd never dreamed of. Can this newly minted witch and wizard master their skills in time to save themselves, their parents--and maybe the world?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:44 -0400)

A sister and brother, along with thousands of young people, have been kidnapped and either thrown in prison or turned up missing after accusations of witchcraft were made against them, and the ruling regime will do anything in order to suppress life and liberty, music and books.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,701,796 books! | Top bar: Always visible