Witch & Wizard by James Patterson

Witch & Wizard (original 2009; edition 2011)

by James Patterson, Gabrielle Charbonnet

1,647None4,353 (3.23)43
Member:teresaaaaa
Title:Witch & Wizard
Authors:James Patterson
Other authors:Gabrielle Charbonnet
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2011), Edition: Mti, Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Teens, Nook
Rating:*

Witch and Wizard by James Patterson (2009)

2010 (12) 2011 (8) adventure (9) audiobook (13) Book 1 (7) dystopia (37) ebook (33) family (13) fantasy (114) fiction (65) hardcover (6) James Patterson (10) Kindle (12) magic (51) paranormal (15) read (12) science fiction (23) series (21) sff (7) siblings (8) suspense (8) teen (11) to-read (38) unread (7) witchcraft (9) witches (53) wizards (43) YA (41) young adult (49) young adult fiction (12)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (BriarRose88)
    BriarRose88: Both have the same futurisitic/controlling setting with strong kids as the main character. They both have the same idea that if the world has become bad, someone needs to do something about it ensure change happens.
    1984 by George Orwell (Unionhawk)

Brillant book ( )
  Tara.Ross | Mar 14, 2014 |
I wasn't sure I would like this one but hey, it's Patterson, what's not to like? I have to admit I will read the rest of the books just to see what happens but right now I am a little lost in the new world he has created. These types of stories take me a little longer to get into but I all ready love the brother sister team and the challenge of untwisting the books he references and figuring what the real world title is . so far I only missed one... ( )
  LoftyIslanders | Mar 2, 2014 |
I picked this series up when someone threw away a bunch of books (literally threw them away; I found them stacked around the dumpster). I am exceedingly glad that I did not pay money for this dreck, and can even understand why they were left to the elements rather than donated to the library or Goodwill.

I'm not the sort of reader who gets bogged down with technical details. If I've been sufficiently hooked by the narrative, a lot of times I won't even notice typos and grammatical errors unless they're really jarring, and I can deal with an odd writing style. Needless to say I was not hooked by the narrative.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why Patterson's chapters are so short. I don't see any type of logical or intuitive reason for the ending of most of the chapters, and I just keep wondering why the hell there isn't a regular page break. The opening of the book, when Whit and Whisty are arrested, takes up ten chapters, each averaging about a page and a half. It would be one thing if he was alternating points-of-view, but he isn't; there might be three chapters of Whisty's narration, followed by two of Whit's.

Which leads me to the fact that a lot of times I forgot who was the current narrarator; Whit and Whisty are basically interchangable, as well as monumentally stupid. It really should not take anyone as long it did these two to realize that yes, they really are a witch and wizard. When you can spontaneously burst into flame and yet remain unharmed, levitate, stop objects being thrown at you in midair--how dumb do you have to be? And how stupid were their parents for not telling them what they were and training them how to use their powers?

The dialogue was frequently either stilted or way too wordy for the current situation, or to have come from the mouths of modern day teenagers:

...Then I heard Whit shouting as he was thrown onto the living room floor next to me.

"Whit, what's going on? Who are these...
monsters?"

"Wisty," he gasped, cohently enough. "You okay?"

I'm really not sure why Whisty would think her brother would have any more of a clue what was going on than she did, not to mention the situation calls for a much stronger epithet than "monsters", just in my opinion.

* * *

"The soldiers, all in black, their boots spit-shined, came for us that morning in the prison..."

People just don't talk like that, particularly not teenagers. Who would even think to come up with "spit-shined" as a descriptor, much less bother describing their captors' boots in any sort of detail?

The One Who Is The One was just laughable. Not even in an over-the-top stereotype way, he just seemed completely ineffectual and childish and not scary, at all. Nothing in this book seemed especially believable; I only made it to chapter 76--which starts on page 201, incidentally--before giving this book up as a waste of time.

I am baffled that this is a bestseller. I suppose it just goes to show that there really is no accounting for taste.

Thus endeth my excursion into the world of YA fiction. ( )
  kat_nic | Feb 5, 2014 |
This book is the first book in a series about a brother and sister who have magic powers. They live in a world where magic is outlawed. They are trying to avoid being caught while trying to take down the government leader. The first couple books in this series are hard to put down. Once they get to book three and four you start to lose interest.
  holly21 | Oct 10, 2013 |
The world is changing-the government has seized control of every aspect of society, and now kids are disappearing. For fifteen-year-old Wisty and her older brother Whit, life turns upside-down when they are hauled out of bed one night, separated from their parents, and thrown into a secret compound for no reason they can comprehend. The new government is clearly trying to suppress Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Being a Normal Teenager.Imprisoned together and condemned to death, Wisty and Whit begin exhibiting strange abilities and powers they never dreamed of. Maybe there is a reason they were singled out. Can this newly discovered witch and a wizard master their skills in time to save themselves, their parents-and maybe the world? ( )
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |

James Pattersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Charbonnet, GabrielleAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Charbonnet, Gabriellesecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
I believe in aristocracy...Not an aristocracy of power, based upon rank and influence, but an aristocracy of the sensitive, the considerate and the plucky. Its members are to be found in all nations and classes, and all through the ages, and there is a secret understanding between them when they meet. They represent the true human tradition, the one permanent victory of our queer race over cruelty and chaos.
--E.M. Forster, from Two Cheers for Democracy
For Andrea Spooner, our hero
--J.P.
Oh, yes - what he said
--G.C.
It's overwhelming.

The world is changing: the government has seized control of every aspect of society, and now, kids are disappearing. For 15-year-old Wisty and her older brother Whit, life turns upside down when they are torn from their parents one night and slammed into a secret prison for no reason they can comprehend. The New Order, as it is known, is clearly trying to suppress Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Being a Normal Teenager. But while trapped in this totalitarian nightmare, Wisty and Whit discover they have incredible powers they'd never dreamed of. Can this newly minted witch and wizard master their skills in time to save themselves, their parents--and maybe the world?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:44 -0400)

A sister and brother, along with thousands of young people, have been kidnapped and either thrown in prison or turned up missing after accusations of witchcraft were made against them, and the ruling regime will do anything in order to suppress life and liberty, music and books.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,493,341 books! | Top bar: Always visible