HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

Sober and Staying That Way : The Missing…
Loading...

Sober and Staying That Way : The Missing Link in the Cure for Alcoholism

by Susan Powter

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingConversations
25None428,870 (2)None

None.

None
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

No reviews
no reviews | add a review
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Dedication
First words
Quotations
Last words
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English

None

Book description
Haiku summary

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0684815958, Hardcover)

Alcoholics Anonymous has a 12 percent recovery rate, but what about the remaining 88 percent? "Waiting for the right time to quit, the motivation? Well, there is none," writes Susan Powter in her characteristically direct but chatty style. It's the Powter magic that makes accessible--even persuasive--what has been known in the field for almost 40 years: alcoholism is a biochemical disease. If that's the case, Powter asks in Sober ... and Staying That Way, then why the adamant belief that alcoholism is incurable? Powter's combination of personal disclosure, exposé, and a program for lasting recovery looks soberly at the biochemical and psychological components of alcoholism.

Powter's national prominence as a fitness expert and author of Stop the Insanity! made her disclosure all the more difficult. But it's when Prowter recollects her famous struggle with obesity, drawing from the lessons of goal setting and values searching, that Sober acquires credibility. There was not, she remembers, any instant cure, nor should there be for alcoholism. Recalling the discipline and self-education that preceded her dramatic weight loss, Powter discovered a vitamin-based nutrition program with an 80 percent recovery rate.

Powter presents facts unforgetably: "Did you know that alcohol is one of the richest foods known to man?... This stuff is amazing. It's got calories, it's a food, it gives you energy, but ... it's a food with only calories, nothing else.... Malnutrition. You and I are malnourished." Smart and upbeat--a combination of Powter's triumph over her ordeal with the biochemical and psychological components of recovery--Sober ... and Staying That Way is like a 12-step personal trainer.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:08 -0400)

(see all 2 descriptions)

In Sober ... and Staying That Way, Susan once again shares a practical and proven program: the missing link in the treatment for alcoholism. It clearly and understandably exposes how the government, the hospitality industry, current recovery thinking, and the advertising industry are making sure you don't get the information you need in order to stay sober. It makes the all-important biochemical connection for every suffering alcoholic, giving the simple and biochemical tricks of the sobriety trade.This book isn't just written for alcoholics. It is written for everyone who wants to participate in the solution to a problem that affects us all. Alcoholism is the number-one killer of young adults in the United States, and the third largest killer in our country. If you are interested in the missing link you must make the connection between alcoholism and disease, understand the biochemistry of alcoholics, make the connection between politics, profit, powerful lobbyists, and your sobriety, wipe out the morality, weakness-of-will, and powerlessness thinking of current recovery programs. You will be able to heal the damage caused by alcoholism, support the biochemical environment for sobriety, balance your glucose-deprived brain, get away forever from the shame-based sober programs and work toward integrating nearly four decades of well-established research with information that is now available to you and those you love for the treatment of the disease of alcoholism.… (more)

Quick Links

Swap Ebooks Audio
7 avail.
1 wanted

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (2)
0.5
1
1.5
2 1
2.5
3
3.5
4
4.5
5

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,410,554 books! | Top bar: Always visible