A Mathematician's Lament: How School…

A Mathematician's Lament: How School Cheats Us Out of Our Most… (2009)

by Paul Lockhart

Outstanding! As a father trying to help his 15 year-old daughter, I find much that he says on target. I wish there were more teachers like him in the schools. ( )
  ifisher | Jun 27, 2016 |
Makes a strong case for mostly starting over again with the math education plan in America. Don't agree 100%, but I think his observations are ideas are essentially correct. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
This is an opinion piece; an extended essay that is part rant about the inadequacies of mathematical education in the United States, part lament over the current state of affairs, and part impassioned plea to reinvent approaches to the subject.

I have to be careful I don't segue into a rant of my own here because Lockhart is definitely preaching to the choir with me. As someone who has tutored math of all levels on and off since my high school days, I see the same issues in my students (and in myself when I was a student). There is nothing like the school curriculum to kill any interest you might have in any subject, math most especially.

Anyone involved in any aspect of education should give this a read.

Disclaimer: This book was provided to me for free by the publisher. No review was explicitly requested, but I have obviously written one anyway.
  macsbrains | May 20, 2013 |
Math as art. Pure awesomeness. Reframed my thinking about how Z expresses his own brand of creativity. ( )
  beckydj | Mar 31, 2013 |
Wonderful; adapted from the essay of the same title that had previously been circulated unpublished in mathmatical circles for years. This is Paul Lockhart's brilliant 140 page arguement that maths is 'the purest of the arts, as well as the most misunderstood.' And his arguement is very persuasive, writing that the 'maths' we are presented with in school is not the real thing at all, but a frighteningly dummed down version. That which is done to maths in school is the equivalent of painting-by-numbers being presented as art's true essence. Lockhart states 'Mathematics is fundamentally an act of communication', and, as if to prove his point, it is clear that the author has communication down to an art form. As a non-mathematician I was fully able to follow and appreciate the arguements and mathematical problems presented in this book. Perhaps best summed up in Lockhart's own phrase; 'If tears aren't streaming down your face, maybe you should read it again.' Not that that would be a chore. Five stars are not enough. ( )
  KateLowry | Dec 19, 2010 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,895,805 books! | Top bar: Always visible