A Child Called It by Dave Pelzer

A Child Called "It"

by Dave Pelzer

Series: Dave Pelzer (1)

One Child by Torey L. Hayden (Moniica)
    Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs (PortiaLong)
    PortiaLong: Disturbing memoirs - I disliked them both for the same reasons (so someone else may LIKE them for those same reasons).
    The Little Prisoner by Jane Elliott (mariah2, Kerian)

English (219)  German (3)  Swedish (2)  Lithuanian (1)  All languages (225)
This book is an autobiography about a boy who was abused as a child. I think this book is a good book for students to read to learn about feelings. This book is for grades five and up.
  lauramaki | Dec 9, 2014 |
This memoir by Dave Pelzer is an extraordinary story. It captures the life of a an abused child and is put into a picture for you to see in your head. Dave was abused by his mother when he was a child and had a father that felt he couldn't help Dave. Dave's mother played games with him that sometimes left him nearly dead. Dave Pelzer is a magnificent writer with very good language. With his language he can put a put a picture in my mind of exactly what's happening and where it is happening. This book would be great for children or adults who have gone through the same experience and could relate to Dave Pelzer ( )
  alca14 | Oct 23, 2014 |
This book is sad, but you can learn about how some kinds of parents are like out in the world. 5Q4P The cover art is okay and I'd recommend this to high school students and adults. I chose to read this because my sister was reading it and my mom had said it was good too. GoldaS
  edspicer | Aug 10, 2014 |
This book is so good and it made me want to cry. It makes your stomach twist in knots because some people are so terrible, but it shows you how you can overcome hardships if you are determined and try to hang in there. 4Q4P The cover art is awesome and I'd recommend this to middle school and high school students as well as adults. I chose to read this book because it was recommended to me by my teacher, Mrs. Hascall. DanaS
  edspicer | Aug 10, 2014 |
This book is very good. It is incredible depressing because of the horrific things that happened to this child, but it is a great read. It made me more thankful for the wonderful parents that I have. ( )
  blog_gal | Jul 26, 2014 |

Dave Pelzerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gyllenhak, UlfTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my son Stephen, who, by the grace of God, has taught me the gift of love and joy through the eyes of a child. This book is also dedicated to the teachers and staff members of Thomas Edison Elementary School to include: Stephen E. Ziegler, Athena Konstan, Peter Hansen, Joyce Woodworth, Janice Woods, Betty Howell, and the School Nurse. To all of you, for your courage and for putting your careers on the line that fateful day, March 5, 1973. You saved my life.
March 5, 1973, Daly City, California - I'm late.

This is a tragic story about a boy named Dave and all of the abuse that he went through as a child.

[This book] is [an] account of one of the most severe child abuse cases in California history. It is the story of Dave Pelzer, who was brutally beaten and starved by his emotionally unstable, alcoholic mother: a mother who played torturous, unpredictable games - games that left him nearly dead. He had to learn how to play his mother's games in order to survive because she no longer considered him a son, but a slave; and no longer a boy, but an "it." -Back cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,399,350 books! | Top bar: Always visible