A Child Called It by Dave Pelzer

A Child Called "It"

by Dave Pelzer

Series: Dave Pelzer (1)

One Child by Torey L. Hayden (Moniica)
    Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs (PortiaLong)
    PortiaLong: Disturbing memoirs - I disliked them both for the same reasons (so someone else may LIKE them for those same reasons).
    The Little Prisoner by Jane Elliott (mariah2, Kerian)

English (254)  German (3)  Swedish (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Spanish (1)  All (261)
I thought the book "A Child Called It" was a very sad story. The story of child abuse that Dave had to be a victim of was very scary to read about. This book really opened my eyes about other children's lives and made me realize how lucky I am to have the life that I live. ( )
  TarynNicole | May 10, 2017 |
This memoir describes one of the worst documented cases of child abuse in California history. Dave Pelzer was brutally beaten and starved by his emotionally unstable, alcoholic mother. She would play tortuous games with him that left him almost dead, games that he would learn to play in order to survive.

It's disgusting how someone can treat another human being like this, especially their own child. ( )
  jenn88 | Apr 25, 2017 |
Review originally posted on Goodreads.

It was a heart-wrenching read that would have earned a higher rating if it didn't leave so many questions unanswered. Why was David singled out? What made him different or the target of his mother's rage? How could the father let the mother treat their son like that? What power does she hold over him? Maybe they will be answered in the next books, but I'm not sure I'm interested enough to find out. ( )
  apollymipanthos | Feb 25, 2017 |
Written from a child's perspective, this book is true and a powerful unfolding of one case of child abuse. In Dave's family of 4, he is the only abused child. His alcoholic mother is the abuser, but his alcoholic father does nothing to stop her. What's appalling is that it took so long for anyone to notice or do anything about it. Dave's abuse was obvious at school especially. His mother would have killed him if he hadn't had such a fighting spirit.

Dave grew up to do wonderful things, a miracle in itself considering all he suffered. We all need to read books like this and understand that children are everyone's business. When child abuse is this obvious, we can't leave the child in that situation. ( )
  Rascalstar | Jan 21, 2017 |
Give me a break. ( )
  knfmn | Dec 22, 2016 |

Pelzer, DaveAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gyllenhak, UlfTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my son Stephen, who, by the grace of God, has taught me the gift of love and joy through the eyes of a child. This book is also dedicated to the teachers and staff members of Thomas Edison Elementary School to include: Stephen E. Ziegler, Athena Konstan, Peter Hansen, Joyce Woodworth, Janice Woods, Betty Howell, and the School Nurse. To all of you, for your courage and for putting your careers on the line that fateful day, March 5, 1973. You saved my life.
March 5, 1973, Daly City, California - I'm late.

[This book] is [an] account of one of the most severe child abuse cases in California history. It is the story of Dave Pelzer, who was brutally beaten and starved by his emotionally unstable, alcoholic mother: a mother who played torturous, unpredictable games - games that left him nearly dead. He had to learn how to play his mother's games in order to survive because she no longer considered him a son, but a slave; and no longer a boy, but an "it." -Back cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,464,595 books! | Top bar: Always visible