A Child Called It by Dave Pelzer

A Child Called "It" (1995)

by Dave Pelzer

Series: Dave Pelzer (1)

Recently added byEnrei, C1ndyluhu, Iloveblue11, private library, cslape, NazarethLibrary, midkid88, chelseayosten
    One Child: The True Story of a Tormented Six-Year-Old and the Brilliant Teacher Who Reached Out by Torey L. Hayden (Moniica)
    Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs (PortiaLong)
    PortiaLong: Disturbing memoirs - I disliked them both for the same reasons (so someone else may LIKE them for those same reasons).
    The Little Prisoner by Jane Elliott (mariah2, Kerian)

English (267)  German (4)  Swedish (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (275)
This book is so sad. The story of how awful this young man was treated is so heart wrenching. His mother should have had all her children taken away from her and not just Dave.
Dave's case of abuse was the worst case in CA history. The sad part is that he isn't the worse case anymore. ( )
  LVStrongPuff | Nov 29, 2018 |
A Child Called “It” provides a first hand account of abuse and the strength it takes to withstand it. Full of power and emotions, the story leaves some questions as to why certain things happened, yet it perfectly describes life in that some things don’t have answers. ( )
  Preston.Kringle | Nov 23, 2018 |
I dove into this book not fully aware of the controvery surrounding it. When I finished it, I immediatley did some Googling and found out some interesting tidbits... I must then go with my gut instinct and conclude that this book is not completely true...

First of all, we see the mother go from the perfect parent to a hell-beast. Where's the gray area? What happened to this woman?

Pelzer nominated this book for a Pulitzer. Um, what? And both his brother and his grandma went on some talk show and said that this book is bul... so.

I mean, it COULD be true. Forgive me even if it is a tiny bit true. ( )
  bookishblond | Oct 24, 2018 |
I remember finding and reading this book in Books-A-Million a number of years ago during one of those "mommy's night out" moments. It was horrifying, heartbreaking and sickening, but so well written that it was pretty much impossible to put down. ( )
  emeraldgirl68 | Sep 30, 2018 |
real child abuse, first hand ( )
  margaretfield | May 29, 2018 |

Pelzer, DaveAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gyllenhak, UlfTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my son Stephen, who, by the grace of God, has taught me the gift of love and joy through the eyes of a child. This book is also dedicated to the teachers and staff members of Thomas Edison Elementary School to include: Stephen E. Ziegler, Athena Konstan, Peter Hansen, Joyce Woodworth, Janice Woods, Betty Howell, and the School Nurse. To all of you, for your courage and for putting your careers on the line that fateful day, March 5, 1973. You saved my life.
March 5, 1973, Daly City, California - I'm late.

[This book] is [an] account of one of the most severe child abuse cases in California history. It is the story of Dave Pelzer, who was brutally beaten and starved by his emotionally unstable, alcoholic mother: a mother who played torturous, unpredictable games - games that left him nearly dead. He had to learn how to play his mother's games in order to survive because she no longer considered him a son, but a slave; and no longer a boy, but an "it." -Back cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,823,470 books! | Top bar: Always visible