A Child Called It by Dave Pelzer

A Child Called "It"

by Dave Pelzer

Series: Dave Pelzer (1)

One Child by Torey L. Hayden (Moniica)
    Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs (PortiaLong)
    PortiaLong: Disturbing memoirs - I disliked them both for the same reasons (so someone else may LIKE them for those same reasons).
    The Little Prisoner by Jane Elliott (mariah2, Kerian)

English (227)  German (3)  Swedish (2)  Lithuanian (1)  All languages (233)
Every teacher should read this book . Young children do things for a reason. Teachers need to look into why the behaviors are happening and not just make an assumption and move on. When a child is caught stealing food on several occasions and in various locations , how was this not a BIG red flag that something is wrong ? I am glad something was ultimately done but the signs were there long before anyone took action. ( )
  dalexander | Jun 21, 2015 |
This felt like fiction, and after reading about the questions to its authenticity. I believe it is fiction.

The author is a slime ball cloaked in charisma. ( )
  Iceform | May 31, 2015 |
Horrifying account of David's childhood. A sad sad story. ( )
  Nataliec7 | Apr 12, 2015 |
A child called it is a book about Dave Pelzer. Dave was abused throughout his life. Dave's mom was a sweet and kind mother until Dave entered kindergarten. Dave's mom was an alcoholic and was very abusive. Dave's mother stabbed, burned, and beat him. His father did nothing about this. Dave realized that he could beat his mothers cruel games. Dave stole food and did his chores well so he could have dinner. this case was the third worst abuse case in California. He finally escaped after the fifth grade.
This book written by Dave himself was an amazing book. The courage Dave had kept him alive. he knew he could be his mothers awful games. I gave this book 5 stars because it had a good message. it also told you about how bad child abuse can be. This book was very touching and was super good. it was so interesting. I learned how bad some of the things people do. I couldn't put it down. This book is now one of my favorites. ( )
  HaleyC.B4 | Mar 22, 2015 |
This book is super sad. I would recommend this book. It is terrible what the author had to go through as a child. Dave Pelzer is a great author. ( )
  amro14 | Feb 18, 2015 |

Dave Pelzerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gyllenhak, UlfTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my son Stephen, who, by the grace of God, has taught me the gift of love and joy through the eyes of a child. This book is also dedicated to the teachers and staff members of Thomas Edison Elementary School to include: Stephen E. Ziegler, Athena Konstan, Peter Hansen, Joyce Woodworth, Janice Woods, Betty Howell, and the School Nurse. To all of you, for your courage and for putting your careers on the line that fateful day, March 5, 1973. You saved my life.
March 5, 1973, Daly City, California - I'm late.

This is a tragic story about a boy named Dave and all of the abuse that he went through as a child.

[This book] is [an] account of one of the most severe child abuse cases in California history. It is the story of Dave Pelzer, who was brutally beaten and starved by his emotionally unstable, alcoholic mother: a mother who played torturous, unpredictable games - games that left him nearly dead. He had to learn how to play his mother's games in order to survive because she no longer considered him a son, but a slave; and no longer a boy, but an "it." -Back cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,985,310 books! | Top bar: Always visible