A Child Called It by Dave Pelzer

A Child Called "It"

by Dave Pelzer

Series: Dave Pelzer (1)

One Child by Torey L. Hayden (Moniica)
    Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs (PortiaLong)
    PortiaLong: Disturbing memoirs - I disliked them both for the same reasons (so someone else may LIKE them for those same reasons).
    The Little Prisoner by Jane Elliott (mariah2, Kerian)

English (246)  German (3)  Swedish (2)  Lithuanian (1)  All languages (252)
this opened a pandoras box for me :*( heart wrenching to say the least ( )
  XoVictoryXo | May 31, 2016 |
I read this before the huge flood of I had a worse up-bringing than you" books that followed and it had a profound affect on me." ( )
  jackandvera | May 31, 2016 |

I can't finish this book - it's too horrifying.
  LauraCerone | May 26, 2016 |
"A Child Called It" tells of Dave Pelzer's horrific childhood, when he was abused and neglected by his sadistic mother. Dave tells the story of his life, and how he was burned, suffocated, starved, and humiliated by his mother in a sequence of events that nearly killed him. There are many graphic explanations of what happened to Dave, including being burned by the stove and suffocated by chemicals in a bathroom. Possibly the most heart-wrenching aspect of the novel is the emotional turmoil that he was put through, as he could not find anyone to help him, even his own brothers. In the end, Dave finds the help he needs and is removed from his mother's home. This book is excellent for transitional and struggling readers, as the reading level is accessible for all students, but the content is of high-interest. For some reason, students like to read about this unfortunate tale, as I've had students read and enjoy this novel in the past.
  jstrecker | Apr 18, 2016 |
This is a re-read for me. I read it years ago and just recently found out there were more books that Dave had written of his story, so I wanted to refresh my memory with this first book before I read the other two. The amount of abuse he had to survive was inconceivable. Even as an abused child myself, it's hard to imagine the atrocious things that were done to this child. It's gratifying to know that stories like this are out there, and that survivors like me are making a point to get out there and help others. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |

Dave Pelzerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gyllenhak, UlfTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my son Stephen, who, by the grace of God, has taught me the gift of love and joy through the eyes of a child. This book is also dedicated to the teachers and staff members of Thomas Edison Elementary School to include: Stephen E. Ziegler, Athena Konstan, Peter Hansen, Joyce Woodworth, Janice Woods, Betty Howell, and the School Nurse. To all of you, for your courage and for putting your careers on the line that fateful day, March 5, 1973. You saved my life.
March 5, 1973, Daly City, California - I'm late.

This is a tragic story about a boy named Dave and all of the abuse that he went through as a child.

[This book] is [an] account of one of the most severe child abuse cases in California history. It is the story of Dave Pelzer, who was brutally beaten and starved by his emotionally unstable, alcoholic mother: a mother who played torturous, unpredictable games - games that left him nearly dead. He had to learn how to play his mother's games in order to survive because she no longer considered him a son, but a slave; and no longer a boy, but an "it." -Back cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,959,182 books! | Top bar: Always visible