A Child Called It by Dave Pelzer

A Child Called "It"

by Dave Pelzer

Series: Dave Pelzer (1)

One Child by Torey L. Hayden (Moniica)
    Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs (PortiaLong)
    PortiaLong: Disturbing memoirs - I disliked them both for the same reasons (so someone else may LIKE them for those same reasons).
    The Little Prisoner by Jane Elliott (mariah2, Kerian)

English (238)  German (3)  Swedish (2)  Lithuanian (1)  All languages (244)
I found this book good although at times just unbelievable and sometimes I couldn't stomach the violence that was happening to this child. I am sure it is a true story but I kept asking myself why is she doing this to this child. ( )
  LaBla | Feb 6, 2016 |
Brutally honest accounts of a horrific childhood. It's an overall good book, just tough at times to read. ( )
  savannahsweetie | Feb 5, 2016 |
Narrated by Brian Keeler. For the first five years of his life, David is part of a loving family with a mother who strives to enrich her children's lives with positive, learning experiences. That all changes when she begins drinking and abusing David over her other sons. The scenes of abuse are constant, relentless, horrifying and literally life-threatening. More disturbing is that David's father and brothers do nothing to intercede. Teachers seem inexplicably unaware that David is being starved at home. Another problem I had with this story is that there is no satisfactory explanation for his mother's sudden change of behavior. I can't believe drinking was the sole root of her issues.

11/10 Reread this again after six years and while it's now apparent to me that the mother suffered a mental illness (never described or explained, and probably addressed in the sequels), I still find his account relentlessly outrageous. I recall some news buzz years ago about the veracity of his story. His story succeeds in reaching out to victims of abuse and raising awareness but relies far too heavily on lurid sensationalism to do it. ( )
1 vote Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Heart-wrenching and very depressing, but told in a way that I thought was very monotone and forced. The events in the book pained me but the writing made me feel like it was coming from a un-emotional standpoint, as if the author had distanced himself from the events. I thought the sequl to this (A Lost Boy) was told in the same manner. ( )
  elle-kay | Jan 27, 2016 |
Absolutely horrific first hand account of the author's childhood abuse suffered at the hand of his mother while his father pretended it wasn't happening. My heart aches knowing this goes on in the world! He had siblings who went along and never told! Times have changed since this took place but people still do f'ed up things.... this book is part one of this man's life. ( )
  ER1116 | Jan 13, 2016 |

Dave Pelzerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gyllenhak, UlfTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my son Stephen, who, by the grace of God, has taught me the gift of love and joy through the eyes of a child. This book is also dedicated to the teachers and staff members of Thomas Edison Elementary School to include: Stephen E. Ziegler, Athena Konstan, Peter Hansen, Joyce Woodworth, Janice Woods, Betty Howell, and the School Nurse. To all of you, for your courage and for putting your careers on the line that fateful day, March 5, 1973. You saved my life.
March 5, 1973, Daly City, California - I'm late.

This is a tragic story about a boy named Dave and all of the abuse that he went through as a child.

[This book] is [an] account of one of the most severe child abuse cases in California history. It is the story of Dave Pelzer, who was brutally beaten and starved by his emotionally unstable, alcoholic mother: a mother who played torturous, unpredictable games - games that left him nearly dead. He had to learn how to play his mother's games in order to survive because she no longer considered him a son, but a slave; and no longer a boy, but an "it." -Back cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,200,355 books! | Top bar: Always visible