A Child Called It by Dave Pelzer

A Child Called "It"

by Dave Pelzer

Series: Dave Pelzer (1)

One Child by Torey L. Hayden (Moniica)
    Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs (PortiaLong)
    PortiaLong: Disturbing memoirs - I disliked them both for the same reasons (so someone else may LIKE them for those same reasons).
    The Little Prisoner by Jane Elliott (mariah2, Kerian)

English (222)  German (3)  Swedish (2)  Lithuanian (1)  All languages (228)
The reason for only three stars (something that I am sure will shock and horrify avid readers of this text)...is that there wasn't much to the story.

170 pages (shorter pages than a typical book) of large print text telling us how horrible it was for this child.

It's not that I didn't have emotions reading this book. The horrors this child survived are real and made an impact. But what happened to his mom? His dad? To him after he was taken away?

There is so much more this book could have done. But it seemed more like a sensational way to sell a book, rather than help us learn. ( )
  csweder | Jan 8, 2015 |
This book is very inspiring and will give you a different outlook on life. It will definitely make you start counting your blessings. 5Q4P(4P because it's very sad) I'd recommend this book to high school students and adults. I chose to read this book because the title is very eye catching. JuliaP
  edspicer | Dec 30, 2014 |
This book will definitely keep you on your toes, most of it is sad, but there's never a boring part. 4Q5P The cover art is awesome and I'd recommend this book to middle and high school students as well as adults. I chose this book because I'm interested in books about abuse and things that make you emotional. EmilyM
  edspicer | Dec 30, 2014 |
This book is an autobiography about a boy who was abused as a child. I think this book is a good book for students to read to learn about feelings. This book is for grades five and up.
  lauramaki | Dec 9, 2014 |
This memoir by Dave Pelzer is an extraordinary story. It captures the life of a an abused child and is put into a picture for you to see in your head. Dave was abused by his mother when he was a child and had a father that felt he couldn't help Dave. Dave's mother played games with him that sometimes left him nearly dead. Dave Pelzer is a magnificent writer with very good language. With his language he can put a put a picture in my mind of exactly what's happening and where it is happening. This book would be great for children or adults who have gone through the same experience and could relate to Dave Pelzer ( )
  alca14 | Oct 23, 2014 |

Dave Pelzerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gyllenhak, UlfTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my son Stephen, who, by the grace of God, has taught me the gift of love and joy through the eyes of a child. This book is also dedicated to the teachers and staff members of Thomas Edison Elementary School to include: Stephen E. Ziegler, Athena Konstan, Peter Hansen, Joyce Woodworth, Janice Woods, Betty Howell, and the School Nurse. To all of you, for your courage and for putting your careers on the line that fateful day, March 5, 1973. You saved my life.
March 5, 1973, Daly City, California - I'm late.

This is a tragic story about a boy named Dave and all of the abuse that he went through as a child.

[This book] is [an] account of one of the most severe child abuse cases in California history. It is the story of Dave Pelzer, who was brutally beaten and starved by his emotionally unstable, alcoholic mother: a mother who played torturous, unpredictable games - games that left him nearly dead. He had to learn how to play his mother's games in order to survive because she no longer considered him a son, but a slave; and no longer a boy, but an "it." -Back cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,127,600 books! | Top bar: Always visible