A Child Called It by Dave Pelzer

A Child Called "It"

by Dave Pelzer

Series: Dave Pelzer (1)

One Child by Torey L. Hayden (Moniica)
    Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs (PortiaLong)
    PortiaLong: Disturbing memoirs - I disliked them both for the same reasons (so someone else may LIKE them for those same reasons).
    The Little Prisoner by Jane Elliott (mariah2, Kerian)

English (248)  German (3)  Swedish (2)  Lithuanian (1)  All languages (254)
"A Child Called 'It'" was a book many read in middle school, but I had never picked up. A year or two ago, I found it and the sequel, "The Lost Boy" at a used book sale- purchasing them tha day was a great decision. This book was simultaneously heart-wrenching and inspiring, bringing to light something few people will openly discuss. I only wish I'd read it earlier. ( )
  sippju01 | Jun 9, 2016 |
An abused childhood is so hard to forget...This young boy went through a childhood of hell....his determination is surviving....a sad and touching book to read....

Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
this opened a pandoras box for me :*( heart wrenching to say the least ( )
  XoVictoryXo | May 31, 2016 |
I read this before the huge flood of I had a worse up-bringing than you" books that followed and it had a profound affect on me." ( )
  .cris | May 31, 2016 |

I can't finish this book - it's too horrifying.
  LauraCerone | May 26, 2016 |

Dave Pelzerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gyllenhak, UlfTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my son Stephen, who, by the grace of God, has taught me the gift of love and joy through the eyes of a child. This book is also dedicated to the teachers and staff members of Thomas Edison Elementary School to include: Stephen E. Ziegler, Athena Konstan, Peter Hansen, Joyce Woodworth, Janice Woods, Betty Howell, and the School Nurse. To all of you, for your courage and for putting your careers on the line that fateful day, March 5, 1973. You saved my life.
March 5, 1973, Daly City, California - I'm late.

This is a tragic story about a boy named Dave and all of the abuse that he went through as a child.

[This book] is [an] account of one of the most severe child abuse cases in California history. It is the story of Dave Pelzer, who was brutally beaten and starved by his emotionally unstable, alcoholic mother: a mother who played torturous, unpredictable games - games that left him nearly dead. He had to learn how to play his mother's games in order to survive because she no longer considered him a son, but a slave; and no longer a boy, but an "it." -Back cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,841,961 books! | Top bar: Always visible