Stumbling on Happiness by Daniel Gilbert

Stumbling on Happiness (2006)

by Daniel Gilbert

I just could not listen to this book anymore. I got to about 40% done and just couldn't do it. I'm not sure what the 5 star people read/heard in the book but I found it a little boring and not really helpful for me. Maybe I wasn't in the mood. Who knows. It was a snooze for me. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
Oy. How to talk about this frustrating book. Very funny, but I'm sure some readers would get turned off by his style of wit as it does kinda get old. Lots of insights into how the mind works, but the relevance of those insights is in question.* And who is the audience? I read a lot of popular science books about the brain, the mind, psychology, biology - and anyone with any more training than I would probably be even more frustrated by the author's lack of rigor. But I don't think your average Costco shopper would be interested, either... but maybe they're a good audience because apparently they have trouble realizing that an even bigger TV screen will not necessarily make them happier....

Gilbert's theory is that we humans are very bad at predicting what will make our future selves happy, and therefore we make poor choices too often and those choices could be avoided if we listened to others' advice more. But he didn't take into account arguments, anecdotes, or research that would reveal weaknesses in his theory. Yes: our brains do a lot of different things (optical illusions, rationalization, rose-colored glasses, etc.) that can mislead us. And yes: reading others' reviews of products we're going to buy, for example, is helpful. But I don't think what college students predict about their enjoyment of pizza is relevant to my decision to move to a smaller yard-free home. Nor do I think that asking someone who lives in a smaller home is a great strategy because after all, we *are* (despite Gilbert's claims) all different people with different tastes, interests, and values.

Read this book if you're interested in pop psychology, and/or if you have trouble making decisions that don't reflect what you could've learned from experience. Enjoy the ideas Gilbert shares. But my advice for you to find happiness is to Pay Attention and Think about what you really believe in and what you really want. Stumbling isn't a good strategy no matter what.

As the author says, this is not a self-help or how-to book, but a (supposedly) scientific exploration and a theory. Yet I did learn one or two things about myself that will be helpful! It's short and funny, too. So, in the end 3.5 stars, rounded up in comparison to so much other drivel out there. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I heard about this book on the Freakonomics podcast and was instantly intrigued. This is not a self-help book on how to be happy - it’s a rigorous scientific examination of why we’re so bad at predicting what will make us happy in the future. And it’s extremely thought-provoking!

Gilbert is a fast talker, but otherwise he does an excellent job with the audio narration. He presents compelling evidence to support his ideas, and I was totally with him, point for point, until the very end, when he tries to argue that the drive to accumulate wealth and have kids is a sort of self-propagating social conspiracy basically unrelated to personal happiness. I couldn’t really get on board with that, but it’s a side argument that’s not critical to the main idea.

But whether you buy all of Gilbert’s arguments or not, Stumbling on Happiness is still a really interesting read, and I guarantee that you will find something in it that relates to your own experiences in some way. It’s not a long book, but it’s dense with ideas. Humor interspersed throughout keeps it from getting dry. Overall, this is a fascinating listen that I’m very glad I came across and will definitely be chewing over for a while. ( )
  les121 | Mar 14, 2016 |
pretty good so far ( )
  gaveedra | Jan 8, 2016 |
I've tried to get through this book three different times, and I just can't. I don't like Gilbert's writing style. He spends too much time trying to be amusing; it obscures any meaningful content that might be there. ( )
  MicheleLD | Nov 29, 2015 |
Gilbert has a serious argument to make about why human beings are forever wrongly predicting what will make them happy. Because of logic-processing errors our brains tend to make, we don't want the things that would make us happy — and the things that we want (more money, say, or a bigger house or a fancier car) won't make us happy.

One cannot divine nor forecast the conditions that will make happiness; one only stumbles upon them by chance, in a lucky hour, at the world's end somewhere, and holds fast to the days, as to fortune and fame.

Will Cather, "Le Lavandou," 1902
For Oli, under the apple tree
Priests vow to remain celibate, physicians vow to do no harm, and letter carriers vow to swiftly complete their appointed rounds despite snow, sleet, and split infinitives.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0007183135, Paperback)

Do you know what makes you happy? Daniel Gilbert would bet that you think you do, but you are most likely wrong. In his witty and engaging new book, Harvard professor Gilbert reveals his take on how our minds work, and how the limitations of our imaginations may be getting in the way of our ability to know what happiness is. Sound quirky and interesting? It is! But just to be sure, we asked bestselling author (and master of the quirky and interesting) Malcolm Gladwell to read Stumbling on Happiness, and give us his take. Check out his review below. --Daphne Durham

Guest Reviewer: Malcolm Gladwell

Malcolm Gladwell is the author of bestselling books Blink and The Tipping Point, and is a staff writer for The New Yorker.

Several years ago, on a flight from New York to California, I had the good fortune to sit next to a psychologist named Dan Gilbert. He had a shiny bald head, an irrepressible good humor, and we talked (or, more accurately, he talked) from at least the Hudson to the Rockies--and I was completely charmed. He had the wonderful quality many academics have--which is that he was interested in the kinds of questions that all of us care about but never have the time or opportunity to explore. He had also had a quality that is rare among academics. He had the ability to translate his work for people who were outside his world.

Now Gilbert has written a book about his psychological research. It is called Stumbling on Happiness, and reading it reminded me of that plane ride long ago. It is a delight to read. Gilbert is charming and funny and has a rare gift for making very complicated ideas come alive.

Stumbling on Happiness is a book about a very simple but powerful idea. What distinguishes us as human beings from other animals is our ability to predict the future--or rather, our interest in predicting the future. We spend a great deal of our waking life imagining what it would be like to be this way or that way, or to do this or that, or taste or buy or experience some state or feeling or thing. We do that for good reasons: it is what allows us to shape our life. And it is by trying to exert some control over our futures that we attempt to be happy. But by any objective measure, we are really bad at that predictive function. We're terrible at knowing how we will feel a day or a month or year from now, and even worse at knowing what will and will not bring us that cherished happiness. Gilbert sets out to figure what that's so: why we are so terrible at something that would seem to be so extraordinarily important?

In making his case, Gilbert walks us through a series of fascinating--and in some ways troubling--facts about the way our minds work. In particular, Gilbert is interested in delineating the shortcomings of imagination. We're far too accepting of the conclusions of our imaginations. Our imaginations aren't particularly imaginative. Our imaginations are really bad at telling us how we will think when the future finally comes. And our personal experiences aren't nearly as good at correcting these errors as we might think.

I suppose that I really should go on at this point, and talk in more detail about what Gilbert means by that--and how his argument unfolds. But I feel like that might ruin the experience of reading Stumbling on Happiness. This is a psychological detective story about one of the great mysteries of our lives. If you have even the slightest curiosity about the human condition, you ought to read it. Trust me. --Malcolm Gladwell

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:30 -0400)

Why are lovers quicker to forgive their partners for infidelity than for leaving dirty dishes in the sink? Why do patients remember long medical procedures as less painful than short ones? Why do home sellers demand prices they wouldn't dream of paying if they were home buyers? Why does the line at the grocery store always slow down when we join it? In this book, Harvard psychologist Gilbert describes the foibles of imagination and illusions of foresight that cause each of us to misconceive our tomorrows and misestimate our satisfactions. Using the latest research in psychology, cognitive neuroscience, philosophy, and behavioral economics, Gilbert reveals what we have discovered about the uniquely human ability to imagine the future, our capacity to predict how much we will like it when we get there, and why we seem to know so little about the hearts and minds of the people we are about to become.--From publisher description.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,426,164 books! | Top bar: Always visible