What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty

What Alice Forgot

by Liane Moriarty

I really enjoyed this book.I thought the characters were nicely written and it really made me think about what I would do in that situation. It definitely goes on my list of favorites and I can see myself reading it again. They one and only thing I thought was a little unbelievable with this book is the fact that none of her family felt the need to tell her about Gina. What in the world was their reasoning for not telling her?? They just decided to let her wonder about it until she finally got her memory back. I did love seeing Alice grow and learn about he life though. The ending was exceptional as well! ( )
  KeriLynneD | Mar 20, 2015 |
This was a pretty good book. There were really three stories happening. One was Alice losing her memory and not remembering anything since 1998. It was now 2008 and she was separated from her husband, she was a health freak, and she was in a relationship with someone named Dominic (sp). The second story was Alice's sister Elizabeth and her infertility issues. Elizabeth had suffered six miscarriages. Alice of course doesn't remember any of her sisters history when she wakes up. Finally, Alice's grandmother is writing these letters to this mysterious person named Phil throughout the book. You have no idea who he is or why she is writing to him. At first I was like why the three stories. I felt like they fumbled together with the main story. But, as you continue reading they all fit together well, especially at the end. As always no lose ends left.

Favorite quote: "Early love is exciting and exhilarating. It's light and bubbly. Anyone can love like that. But love after three children, after separation and near divorce - after you've hurt each other and forgiven each other, bored each other,after you've seen the worst and the best - well that sort of love is ineffable. It deserves its own word." ( )
  bwhitner | Mar 16, 2015 |
The biggest reason I gave this 4 stars is because this book had me thinking about it long after I'd finished it. The whole idea of waking up and not remembering the last 10 (in Alice's case,horrible) years of your life is not something you think about every day.

I don't want to give anything away so I'll just say the story between Alice and her husband was so intriguing. Every time I'd read more of the book, it would make me so thankful for my own life (and husband!).

That said, the book did seem a little LONG at times. I felt like it could've been a little less wordy and I didn't appreciate the cussing. Other than that, I'm glad I read it. Gave me a perspective I hadn't thought about before. :) ( )
  redhedcatie | Feb 25, 2015 |
really enjoyed this book. a woman has an accident at the gym and can't remember the last ten years of her life. her family members rush to her side to try to help her, and everyone's stories unfold!! loved all the characters and each narrative. very good women's fiction!!! ( )
  amanaceerdh | Feb 18, 2015 |
Alice loses her memory of the last ten years upon falling off a bike in a spin class at the gym. She does not remember her marriage is about to end, nor her three children, nor her new boyfriend. She does not remember the horrible death of her dearest friend. Upon regaining consciousness, she is given a chance to re-evaluate her life. "Now it seemed like she could twist the lens on her life and see it from two entirely different perspectives. The perspective of her younger self. Her younger, innocent self. And her older, wiser, more cynical and sensible self. And maybe young Alice had a point." This is a terrific read, very believable situation and the character development is super. Did I mention the humor? Also cool. I am enjoying catching up on all of Ms. Moriarty's books after reading "Big Little Lies." ( )
  musichick52 | Jan 19, 2015 |
Twenty-nine-year-old Alice Love is pregnant with her first child, adores her husband, Nick, and has never set foot inside a spinning studio. Thirty-nine-year-old Alice Love suffers a sudden fall in her Friday spin class, wakes up with a splitting headache, and finds out she has three children and is in the middle of custody proceedings. Without any concrete memories of the past 10 years, Alice tries to figure out how her free-spirited 29-year-old self became a volunteer-coordinating, spin-class-attending 39-year-old woman. What Alice Forgot is an often funny, sometimes heartrending, deeply personal portrait of a woman attempting to unravel her own mystery.
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist

For Adam
She was floating, arms outspread, water lapping her body, breathing in a summery fragrance of salt and coconut.
Early love is exciting and exhilarating. It's light and bubbly. Anyone can love like that. But love after three children, after separation and near divorce - after you've hurt each other and forgiven each other, bored each other, after you've seen the worst and the best - well that sort of love is ineffable. It deserves its own word.

Suffering an accident that causes her to forget the last ten years of her life, Alice is astonished to discover that she is thirty-nine years old, a mother of three children, and in the midst of an acrimonious divorce from a man she dearly loves.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,230,728 books! | Top bar: Always visible