What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty

What Alice Forgot

by Liane Moriarty

Recently added byprivate library, Vanessa.Findlay, jenyt, kteeley, PJ817, booksniff, cherylmorton

Not as good as I'd hoped, but an interesting read. If you woke up not remembering the past ten years, would you be happy or sad to have missed them? ( )
  busyreadin | Aug 12, 2014 |
I really liked this one. Wonderful reader. Great Australian accent. Very upbeat. The premise really got me thinking. What would I think if I had lost 10 years of memories. I liked the general atmosphere, the characters, the premise and the writing style. I was very appreciative of the epilogue. I liked the ending and I felt it was realistic. ( )
  njcur | Jul 12, 2014 |
Well, I quite enjoyed this. Alice knocks her head and loses a decade of memory including inconvenient facts like she is now the mother of 3 children she cannot remember. From here the story winds around Alice's confusion and her many discoveries. It is, naturally, quite funny in spots.

Moriarty weaves in two other stories by way of Elisabeth's journal and Frannie's letters. These feel like diversions sometime, although clearly they help to explain some things as you go along. However I tended to get a bit bored and frustrated with them and wanted to get back to the central plot.

Likewise at the end of the novel which could have finished a few chapters sooner and have been no less, and perhaps more, satisfying.

A good book. Just needed a bit more editing. ( )
  PhilipJHunt | Jul 4, 2014 |
alrighty...i have dance on the brain right now so bear with me. there is an expression in dance about wanting a dancer to get 'more into the ground' - you want them planted, connected, really pushing into the floor. there's an element of grittiness that goes with this too - but the movement can still be elegant and moving. i wanted this read to get more into the ground, and it just didn't get there for me. there were parts of the story i liked, and parts that intrigued me, but moriarty just didn't get messy or raw enough with it for me (even thought there is a whole lot of mess going on in the story), and it all ended up too neat and tidy. ( )
  DawsonOakes | Jun 29, 2014 |
This is not the sort of book I usually read, but it kept my interest as I waited for startling revelations only to discover that a lot of little things gradually calcify and form a shell that is hard to break out of. Alice's memory loss of the past ten years of her life gives her the chance to stop the inertia of her life and start over. And everyone gets to live happily ever after! ( )
  raizel | May 14, 2014 |
Twenty-nine-year-old Alice Love is pregnant with her first child, adores her husband, Nick, and has never set foot inside a spinning studio. Thirty-nine-year-old Alice Love suffers a sudden fall in her Friday spin class, wakes up with a splitting headache, and finds out she has three children and is in the middle of custody proceedings. Without any concrete memories of the past 10 years, Alice tries to figure out how her free-spirited 29-year-old self became a volunteer-coordinating, spin-class-attending 39-year-old woman. What Alice Forgot is an often funny, sometimes heartrending, deeply personal portrait of a woman attempting to unravel her own mystery.
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist

For Adam
She was floating, arms outspread, water lapping her body, breathing in a summery fragrance of salt and coconut.

Suffering an accident that causes her to forget the last ten years of her life, Alice is astonished to discover that she is thirty-nine years old, a mother of three children, and in the midst of an acrimonious divorce from a man she dearly loves.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,126,629 books! | Top bar: Always visible