What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty

What Alice Forgot

by Liane Moriarty

I thought it was interesting that when answering the question of what primarily broke up her marriage, the answer came to her that it was lack of sleep. That really says something about modern life. And I would call it a modern novel, except for the fact that it was full of all these women who wanted and needed children. I don't think there was one woman who represented childless by choice, which does not seem very modern, in the end, at all. But this was set in 2008 Australia, so maybe grown women are different there to many of them I know in the US. ( )
  JeaniaK | Dec 13, 2014 |
The only reason I didn't give this book 5 stars was because the ending was totally predictable. But, it redeemed itself by keeping my interest while I came to that inevitable ending! I was so enthralled with this book, that I stayed up til around 3 am to finish it...on a school night! I'm a teacher, so that's something of a big deal.

As far as the plot goes, it's basically this: (prior to the start of the book) girl meets boy, girl falls for boy, girl and boy think they're going to live happily ever after, boy and girl drift apart, girl hates boy, girl hits head and doesn't remember that she hates boy...And this is where the reader comes into the story. Having lost the last 10 years of her life, Alice Love must find herself again and adjust to her new life, one in which she and the love of her life are divorcing, and apparently by her choice, not his. Meanwhile, her sister, who had been her best friend, hates her guts, and her mother has married her father-in-law. Somewhere in those ten years, she's had 3 kids, and the couple had completed the renovations on their "Impossible Dream" home... And let us not forget the new poyfriend...

We, the readers, follow her as she tries not only to piece together what has gone wrong in her life, but as she tries desperately to get back to her happily ever after with her husband, Nick, at her side, as well as fixing her relationship with her sister, Elisabeth, aka Libby.

I liked that young Alice wasn't exactly enamored with the life of her more jaded self. It was very obvious that she thought she had become something of a monster. I would have enjoyed a little more shock and disgust from jaded Alice once the memories were recovered. As the book progressed, I found myself hoping that maybe young Alice could stay forever and make things right. She definitely was a likable character, while jaded Alice was just that: a jaded, old, b*tch. Young Alice was vibrant and full of wonder; jaded Alice was a powermom, with no time because she was busy forcing her family to live the upper-middle class dream. Although we get the impression that jaded Alice was the one pushing for the divorce, I wouldn't have blamed Nick for not wanting to be with such an unlikable person.

I kept wondering just how fun Alice became the jaded Alice, and I'm not sure I ever got a perfect answer, but the interplay between young Alice and her friends and family was enough to give me a rough idea. I got the feeling that even the family didn't like jaded Alice.

This book was refreshing because it had a main character I actually wanted to root for! It's been a while since I read something with a totally likable main character, and young Alice was completely likable! Even though I was able to discern how it would end, I enjoyed the ride to get there. As we got deeper and deeper into the characters, and subsequently into the drama jaded Alice was wrapped up in, I found I couldn't put the book down.

Definitely worth a read, and possibly a second read, later since I rushed to get to the ending... ( )
  LadyLiz | Nov 25, 2014 |
My second book from Moriarty (The Husband's Secret was my first). Overall not as entertaining, and partially because of the same problem. Moriarty seems to really like to dangle the carrot over your eyes. Unfortunately, the tease/reward is tipped in such way that you come out not feeling very satisfied.

Granted, the ending was pretty good, but I still feel like the middle 70% of the book is a bit of a pain to go through. ( )
  Kuroonehalf | Nov 22, 2014 |
What Alice Forgot, by Liane Moriarty, is another wonderful novel. I've read three by this author (so far), and I LOVE her writing style. She is so good at dropping little clues and hints throughout the story, keeping you hooked until the big reveal at the ending. I also appreciate her use of epilogues - they actually mean something, when I've found them pointless when done by other authors. What Alice Forgot is the story of a woman who falls and hits her head at the gym. When she wakes up, she has forgotten the last ten years of her life. The premise that you have to forget things in order to remember what's really important was beautiful to me. ( )
  Mathenam | Oct 30, 2014 |
I am truly besotted with Liane Moriarty's books. She comes up with unexpected story lines and keeps you guessing until the very end. As with all of her books, I loved the dialogue in "What Alice Forgot" - it just seems very realistic. I laughed out loud a few times, which is something that rarely happens - I really appreciate that. Secondary story lines involving the main character's sister and "grandmother" seemed extraneous and perplexing during the early part of the book, but they all tied together at the end in a heartwarming fashion. Loved this book! ( )
  flourgirl49 | Sep 4, 2014 |
Twenty-nine-year-old Alice Love is pregnant with her first child, adores her husband, Nick, and has never set foot inside a spinning studio. Thirty-nine-year-old Alice Love suffers a sudden fall in her Friday spin class, wakes up with a splitting headache, and finds out she has three children and is in the middle of custody proceedings. Without any concrete memories of the past 10 years, Alice tries to figure out how her free-spirited 29-year-old self became a volunteer-coordinating, spin-class-attending 39-year-old woman. What Alice Forgot is an often funny, sometimes heartrending, deeply personal portrait of a woman attempting to unravel her own mystery.
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist

For Adam
She was floating, arms outspread, water lapping her body, breathing in a summery fragrance of salt and coconut.

Suffering an accident that causes her to forget the last ten years of her life, Alice is astonished to discover that she is thirty-nine years old, a mother of three children, and in the midst of an acrimonious divorce from a man she dearly loves.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,400,158 books! | Top bar: Always visible