What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty

What Alice Forgot

by Liane Moriarty

Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Told with humor, these two charming, character-driven novels share the stories of women who awaken from comas with amnesia, which has caused them to forget years of their lives. Faced with the unfamiliar, they must evaluate the choices they've made.… (more)
    The Post-Birthday World by Lionel Shriver (citygirl)
    The Bookseller: A Novel by Cynthia Swanson (Micheller7)

I'm not sure I've read one of Moriarty's books that I haven't given 5 stars to, and this one is no exception. Alice falls and hits her head at the gym. When she comes to, she learns that instead of being 29 years old and pregnant with her first child, she is 39 years old, has 3 children, and is getting a divorce. When released from the hospital, she goes home and tries to figure out who she really is, who her children are, what has happened to her life and her family, and why she doesn't remember. She isn't even sure she wants to remember. Can she go back and make things right? Does she want to? Can she? While this is Alice's story, the supporting characters (her sister, her husband, her mother, her "adopted" grandmother, and others) all play important parts too. The book really made me think about my life, where it's been, where it's going, where do I want it to go, and who I want in my life. ( )
  cherybear | Jan 15, 2017 |
This was a first book I read in this genre. Im normally a fantasy-mystery kind of a woman. But I couldn't put this book down. A wonderful read a out real struggles of real women, and how all of your decisions affect your children. A must read! And the movie adaptation is coming in 2017 , so excited! ( )
  bookandsword | Jan 9, 2017 |
I love Moriarty's work and this one was no exception. The premise is that a woman takes a fall at a gym and when she wakes up she's lost her memory of the last ten years. Her last memory is of being pregnant with her first child while renovating an old home with her sweet husband Nick. When she wakes up her baby is 10-years-old and she and her husband are in the midst of a nasty divorce.

I read it while pregnant, which definitely colored my view of the novel. I couldn't imagine waking up one day and realizing that my tiny baby who wasn't even born yet in my memory was now a young woman. There was a terrifying element to the book because of that. Alice feels so helpless because she doesn't know how she became the woman that everyone else knows her to be.

Alice's sister Elizabeth is a fascinating character throughout the book. She and her husband have struggled with infertility. She has thrown herself into her work, but she aches with the absence of a child. I also loved the relationship between Alice and her three children.

BOTTOM LINE: Loved it. It hit me a bit deeper than it might have at another time in life. ( )
  bookworm12 | Dec 22, 2016 |
I gave this 3 stars because it's chick-lit and it fills the expectations solidly. I was hoping it would be a little more original, a little more refreshing. I liked the premise and the first half of the book, but all the big "reveals" were obvious and the book quickly fell into typical genre tropes and female stereotypes. I hated the ending because it was so predictable. Nothing fresh nor different here. ( )
  Virginia-A | Dec 21, 2016 |
Alice Love wakes up in her spin class after falling and hitting her head. Her first thought? ' Why am I in a spin class?' You see, 29 year old Alice loves sleeping in, chocolate, her lovely life with her husband Nick, their eager preparations for their first child. She definitely does not love the gym!

There is a much bigger problem than the gym, however. In fact, Alice has no memory of the past ten years. Alice and Nick are in the middle of a nasty divorce, the baby is now ten years old (there are two more besides) and Alice has become a gym loving, obsessive control freak with a boyfriend and no idea where the past ten years went or how she got to be the person she is today. As Alice slowly regains her memory she has the opportunity to examine her life and determine what is important to her.

Two other storylines in the book are interesting as well. Alice's sister, Elizabeth struggles with infertility and her grandmother, Frannie, writes frequent letters to a 'mystery man'. The three stories intertwine to make an enjoyable read. ( )
  EvelynBernard | Nov 28, 2016 |
Twenty-nine-year-old Alice Love is pregnant with her first child, adores her husband, Nick, and has never set foot inside a spinning studio. Thirty-nine-year-old Alice Love suffers a sudden fall in her Friday spin class, wakes up with a splitting headache, and finds out she has three children and is in the middle of custody proceedings. Without any concrete memories of the past 10 years, Alice tries to figure out how her free-spirited 29-year-old self became a volunteer-coordinating, spin-class-attending 39-year-old woman. What Alice Forgot is an often funny, sometimes heartrending, deeply personal portrait of a woman attempting to unravel her own mystery.
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist

For Adam
She was floating, arms outspread, water lapping her body, breathing in a summery fragrance of salt and coconut.
Early love is exciting and exhilarating. It's light and bubbly. Anyone can love like that. But love after three children, after separation and near divorce - after you've hurt each other and forgiven each other, bored each other, after you've seen the worst and the best - well that sort of love is ineffable. It deserves its own word.

Alice Love, having woken up on the gym floor and been rushed to the hospital with a head injury, believes she is twenty-nine, expecting her first baby, and madly in love with her husband, but, after realizing she has forgotten ten years of her life and is actually thirty-nine, she is forced to try and piece together what occurred over the past decade to result in her marriage and life not being as she had hoped it would be.
Ze dreef met haar armen wijd, het water zachtjes over haar lichaam klotsend, en ademde de zomerse geur van zout en kokos in. In haar mond hing een prettige nasmaak van een goed vullend ontbijt; gebakken spek en koffie en misschien iets van een croissantje. Ze tilde haar kin op en de ochtendzon scheen zo fel op het water dat ze haar ogen moest dichtknijpen om haar voeten door de glinstering te kunnen zien. De nagels van haar tenen hadden allemaal een andere kleur. Rood. Goud. Paars. Grappig. Wanneer Alice ontwaakt uit een heerlijke droom en erachter komt dat ze in de sportschool een val heeft gemaakt, weet ze dat er iets helemaal mis is. Ze haat sportscholen, dus hoe kan ze daar zijn? Alice’ eerste zorg is haar baby, want ze is hoogzwanger. Ze wil ook graag naar haar echtgenoot Nick. Hij zal zich zeker zorgen maken. Maar Alice ís niet zwanger en Nick is verre van bezorgd. Alice is moeder van drie kinderen en de vijandige Nick is onlangs een echtscheidings-procedure gestart. Alice is tien jaar uit haar geheugen kwijt. In de dagen die volgen komt het verleden stukje bij beetje weer boven en Alice is gedwongen enkele onaangename kanten van zichzelf onder ogen te zien. Haar geheugenverlies is in ieder geval onvergetelijk!

Suffering an accident that causes her to forget the last ten years of her life, Alice is astonished to discover that she is thirty-nine years old, a mother of three children, and in the midst of an acrimonious divorce from a man she dearly loves.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,739,530 books! | Top bar: Always visible