What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty

What Alice Forgot (edition 2012)

by Liane Moriarty

Title:What Alice Forgot
Authors:Liane Moriarty
Info:Berkley Trade (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but no longer owned
Tags:fiction/literature, divorce, marriage, memory loss, family, australia

What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty

Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Told with humor, these two charming, character-driven novels share the stories of women who awaken from comas with amnesia, which has caused them to forget years of their lives. Faced with the unfamiliar, they must evaluate the choices they've made.… (more)

Worth a read. I got quite caught up in it. Alice wakes up from a hit on the head and has completely lost the last ten years. She can't remember having her children or the erosion of her marriage. She thinks she's still pregnant with her 10 year old child and still madly in love with her husband, so she can't believe some of the things that she hears that she and her husband have said to one another. There's a few things I didn't think worked (the letters that her sister wrote to her therapist and the letters her grandmother wrote to her dead fiance) but I really liked the interactions between Alice and her husband. ( )
  creynolds | Nov 23, 2015 |
I love Liane Moriarty's style of writing and she is one of my favorite authors. I always enjoy her books because she has a way of weaving personalities, emotions, and circumstances into her stories that make you think about your own. After reading this novel, I reflected upon my life and asked myself what I take for granted. Situations can change in an instant in any of our lives just like it did for Alice.

Some of the topics covered include amnesia, divorce, family relationships, and infertility. I love the humor that this author constantly interjects in this novel, but it's also tender and sad at times. There was some repetition that could have been edited out without harming the story. ( )
  pegmcdaniel | Nov 12, 2015 |
You can tell this is an early novel of Moriarty's. The pieces don't all fit quote as seamlessly as they do in the Husband's Secret or Big Little Lies. The cuts between Alice, her sister, and Franny were not always super smooth, and listening to the audiobook I found the comments on Franny's blog particularly irritating at times.

That being said, I still loved this book. I absolutely adored Alice, and I loved the way Moriarty keeps the reader in suspense as Alice starts to remember her past, or piece it together with information provided by her friends and family. I found myself really rooting for her and Nick to work it out, while at the same time not wanting her to hurt Dominick.

There was really so much here. Alice's relationships with her family, her friends, herself...Love, loss, heartbreak, revival...it's all here, and while it might not be flawless, it is, like all her other work, riveting. ( )
  klack128 | Oct 11, 2015 |
From the blurbs on the book, I thought this would be funny, but it wasn't really. It started in a humorous way, but just got sad after a while. Alice hits her head while at the gym and loses 10 years of her life. What's interesting is that she became the person she was then and had difficulty accepting the future. The book ends well, but it dragged in places to the point that it was hard to keep going. The author seemed to drive the point into the ground in spots. Overall, it's an entertaining book with enough questions to keep you reading, just to find out how it will all end. ( )
  hobbitprincess | Sep 5, 2015 |
Absolutely love all the books Liane Moriarty wrote. This one is about a woman around 40 who is super active in her life and her children's life and on the way to a divorce. She hits her head in a gym and thinks she is much younger and pregnant with her first child. She does not remember her children and cannot believe she and her husband are headed for a divorce. Kudos Ms. Moriarty. ( )
  joannemonck | Aug 23, 2015 |
Twenty-nine-year-old Alice Love is pregnant with her first child, adores her husband, Nick, and has never set foot inside a spinning studio. Thirty-nine-year-old Alice Love suffers a sudden fall in her Friday spin class, wakes up with a splitting headache, and finds out she has three children and is in the middle of custody proceedings. Without any concrete memories of the past 10 years, Alice tries to figure out how her free-spirited 29-year-old self became a volunteer-coordinating, spin-class-attending 39-year-old woman. What Alice Forgot is an often funny, sometimes heartrending, deeply personal portrait of a woman attempting to unravel her own mystery.
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist
For Adam
She was floating, arms outspread, water lapping her body, breathing in a summery fragrance of salt and coconut.
Early love is exciting and exhilarating. It's light and bubbly. Anyone can love like that. But love after three children, after separation and near divorce - after you've hurt each other and forgiven each other, bored each other, after you've seen the worst and the best - well that sort of love is ineffable. It deserves its own word.

Alice Love, having woken up on the gym floor and been rushed to the hospital with a head injury, believes she is twenty-nine, expecting her first baby, and madly in love with her husband, but, after realizing she has forgotten ten years of her life and is actually thirty-nine, she is forced to try and piece together what occurred over the past decade to result in her marriage and life not being as she had hoped it would be.

Suffering an accident that causes her to forget the last ten years of her life, Alice is astonished to discover that she is thirty-nine years old, a mother of three children, and in the midst of an acrimonious divorce from a man she dearly loves.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,866,160 books! | Top bar: Always visible