What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty

What Alice Forgot (edition 2012)

by Liane Moriarty

Member:readingrebecca
Title:What Alice Forgot
Authors:Liane Moriarty
Info:Berkley Trade (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but no longer owned
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction/literature, divorce, marriage, memory loss, family, australia

What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty

Absolutely love all the books Liane Moriarty wrote. This one is about a woman around 40 who is super active in her life and her children's life and on the way to a divorce. She hits her head in a gym and thinks she is much younger and pregnant with her first child. She does not remember her children and cannot believe she and her husband are headed for a divorce. Kudos Ms. Moriarty. ( )
  joannemonck | Aug 23, 2015 |
Best set of books I've found for awhile. I love this author, she keeps you reading and she keeps twisting around the story and plots until the end and you say to yourself, OMG, that book was great!! ( )
  mchwest | Aug 19, 2015 |
Alice Love has hit her head at the gym and now, instead of being a 39 year old, yummy mummy type, involved in everything at her children's school, she believes she is the 29 year old dippy woman, newly married to gorgeous Nick and pregnant with her first child that she was ten years ago. She has forgotten the last ten years of her life, including her three children and everything that has happened in her marriage.

Like Big Little Lies, I thought this got off to a slightly slow start but then I just got engrossed in it and loved it. I really liked how the story unfolded for me as it did for Alice, as she found out some of the things that had happened to her over the last ten years. I also couldn't wait to see how the whole thing ended up. I thought this was plotted well and I liked the characters. I love this author's writing. ( )
  nicx27 | Aug 12, 2015 |
This story will stick with me. A great and wonderful story of love, forgiveness, and strength. I loved the characters in this book, and can't wait to see the movie version and how they might portray Alice, Nick and Dominick. One of my favorite books this year! ( )
  jdy | Aug 11, 2015 |
There are a lot of books about how marriages fall apart, how life often delivers unfair circumstances to unprepared people. But this book tackles those common themes in such a unique way. Alice has fallen at the gym, hit her head, and forgotten the last decade of her life. She doesn't know why she's getting divorced, why she has a new boyfriend. She doesn't know her children at all. It's fascinating. The lack of memory enables her to look at things with that helpful "fresh perspective" we all seek out in our lives.

I love Moriarty's writing and her characters. I always come back to admiring how her subject matter is often very dramatic, but there is a subtle (or sometimes obvious) humor that provides much needed relief. In this book, I particularly loved the character of Elisabeth (Alice's sister). Her struggles were so well-drawn and real. Overall, a great read. ( )
  KimHooperWrites | Aug 2, 2015 |
Twenty-nine-year-old Alice Love is pregnant with her first child, adores her husband, Nick, and has never set foot inside a spinning studio. Thirty-nine-year-old Alice Love suffers a sudden fall in her Friday spin class, wakes up with a splitting headache, and finds out she has three children and is in the middle of custody proceedings. Without any concrete memories of the past 10 years, Alice tries to figure out how her free-spirited 29-year-old self became a volunteer-coordinating, spin-class-attending 39-year-old woman. What Alice Forgot is an often funny, sometimes heartrending, deeply personal portrait of a woman attempting to unravel her own mystery.
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist

For Adam
She was floating, arms outspread, water lapping her body, breathing in a summery fragrance of salt and coconut.
Early love is exciting and exhilarating. It's light and bubbly. Anyone can love like that. But love after three children, after separation and near divorce - after you've hurt each other and forgiven each other, bored each other, after you've seen the worst and the best - well that sort of love is ineffable. It deserves its own word.

Suffering an accident that causes her to forget the last ten years of her life, Alice is astonished to discover that she is thirty-nine years old, a mother of three children, and in the midst of an acrimonious divorce from a man she dearly loves.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,016,830 books! | Top bar: Always visible