What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty

What Alice Forgot (edition 2012)

by Liane Moriarty

Member:readingrebecca
Title:What Alice Forgot
Authors:Liane Moriarty
Info:Berkley Trade (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but no longer owned
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction/literature, divorce, marriage, memory loss, family, australia

What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty

Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Told with humor, these two charming, character-driven novels share the stories of women who awaken from comas with amnesia, which has caused them to forget years of their lives. Faced with the unfamiliar, they must evaluate the choices they've made.… (more)
    The Bookseller: A Novel by Cynthia Swanson (Micheller7)

While I was reading "What Alice Forgot," for the most part, I was turning page after page wondering what was going to happen and then came what was probably the climactic scene and I felt a bit let-down.

Alice loses 10 years of her life to an accident that gives her amnesia. She slowly works her way through events that have occurred without actually remembering them. She views them through the eyes of her 29 year old self rather than her 39 year old self. She finds that her 29 year old self was a lot happier and a lot more tolerant. The reader believes that Alice is learning lessons and molding what the future can become. Then the climactic scene occurs. (No spoilers here!)

And then something strange happens. The author, Liane Moriarty, jumps ahead in time and then jumps ahead in time again. No! For me, this ruined the narrative. None of the novel felt like cheating to me except for this.

This is the point where I've seen reviewers dump a book and give it one or two stars. I can't do that. Moriarty wove a tremendously good tale for much of the book and I was intrigued by everything except what might have been the last fifth of the novel.

Your mileage may vary. ( )
  SaschaD | Apr 28, 2016 |
Waking up after hitting her head at the gym, Alice has lost ten years of her life. But the years she lost were not all happy ones. Believing she is totally in love with her husband and pregnant with her first child, she is stunned to learn she is not pregnant but has three children and is going through a divorce. Wishing she could just pick up her life where she remembers, she soon realizes that there are issues she must work through. Her family and friends have not forgotten the last ten years nor the hard feelings that occurred during them. To reclaim lost friendships and strained relationships, she must first discover how things went wrong. As bits and pieces of her memory slowly return, she realizes just how complicated her life has become, and it remains to be seen if she can return to the happier times of her early marriage. This tale is an interesting study in human nature. Alice just accidentally erases the unhappiness that had permeated her life. And while she can’t just go back ten years, she does try to reclaim the life – the marriage and relationships - she had. At least, she does at first, but as her memory becomes stronger, her desires also change. Perhaps not quite as good as author’s other books, it is still a well-written story. ( )
  Maydacat | Apr 18, 2016 |
Kathleen McInerney
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |
Loved this book. Kept me guessing until the end. ( )
  DeniseStr | Mar 7, 2016 |
Liane Moriarty is a genius with giving her books titles. she has a way of burying double meanings in her titles so the book is not as straight forward as you expect it to be. What Alice Forgot is not just about a woman who has a memory loss of the last 10 years of her life but Alice seems to have forgotten a lot of things during those 10 years also. This is not simple chic lit. Liane addresses many real life subjects and makes you think about what you would do or what you did do in the same situations. For me, Elizabeth's feelings dealing with infertility were spot on. She brought all my years of painful waiting back to me. I kept thinking, If I only knew then what was going to happen I would have just relaxed and not wasted so many years crying. This book also ignited much discussion in my book club about the stages of our marriages and the joys and pains of raising children. The deeper meaning under it all makes you stop and consider your life and your priorities. We loved this book. I listened to this book and enjoyed the narrator and her accent! ( )
  theeccentriclady | Feb 28, 2016 |
Twenty-nine-year-old Alice Love is pregnant with her first child, adores her husband, Nick, and has never set foot inside a spinning studio. Thirty-nine-year-old Alice Love suffers a sudden fall in her Friday spin class, wakes up with a splitting headache, and finds out she has three children and is in the middle of custody proceedings. Without any concrete memories of the past 10 years, Alice tries to figure out how her free-spirited 29-year-old self became a volunteer-coordinating, spin-class-attending 39-year-old woman. What Alice Forgot is an often funny, sometimes heartrending, deeply personal portrait of a woman attempting to unravel her own mystery.
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist

For Adam
She was floating, arms outspread, water lapping her body, breathing in a summery fragrance of salt and coconut.
Early love is exciting and exhilarating. It's light and bubbly. Anyone can love like that. But love after three children, after separation and near divorce - after you've hurt each other and forgiven each other, bored each other, after you've seen the worst and the best - well that sort of love is ineffable. It deserves its own word.

Alice Love, having woken up on the gym floor and been rushed to the hospital with a head injury, believes she is twenty-nine, expecting her first baby, and madly in love with her husband, but, after realizing she has forgotten ten years of her life and is actually thirty-nine, she is forced to try and piece together what occurred over the past decade to result in her marriage and life not being as she had hoped it would be.

Suffering an accident that causes her to forget the last ten years of her life, Alice is astonished to discover that she is thirty-nine years old, a mother of three children, and in the midst of an acrimonious divorce from a man she dearly loves.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 1,202 books! | Top bar: Always visible