What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty

What Alice Forgot (edition 2012)

by Liane Moriarty

Member:readingrebecca
Title:What Alice Forgot
Authors:Liane Moriarty
Info:Berkley Trade (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but no longer owned
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction/literature, divorce, marriage, memory loss, family, australia

What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty

Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Told with humor, these two charming, character-driven novels share the stories of women who awaken from comas with amnesia, which has caused them to forget years of their lives. Faced with the unfamiliar, they must evaluate the choices they've made.… (more)
    The Post-Birthday World by Lionel Shriver (citygirl)
    The Bookseller: A Novel by Cynthia Swanson (Micheller7)

I listened to this book and I would just like to add to the reviews below that the narrator was fabulous. It's not the sort of book I would normally read but her cheerful aussie accent really brought it to life for me. ( )
  angelaoatham | Feb 21, 2017 |
First 1/3 was annoying. I don't find a child-like adult woman cute or endearing. I nearly put the book aside as a "could not finish". However, the last 2/3 of the book redeemed itself and had a good message so I'm going with 4 stars. I particularly loved the realism of living with kids, lol ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
Really interesting story of a woman who falls & develops amnesia - forgetting the past 10 years. Although she is now a divorced woman with 3 children, her memory is happily married & expecting her first child. A good story of how a marriage falls apart and how that can be changed. -- I would have given it four stars except for the ending - I thought it would end with them getting back together, and it did, but first there was what I'd call a "fake ending" with them staying separated. Seemed like a writer's construct to fool the reader, and it cheapened the work. I will definitely look for more by this author, though. ( )
  JeanetteSkwor | Feb 6, 2017 |
I'm not sure I've read one of Moriarty's books that I haven't given 5 stars to, and this one is no exception. Alice falls and hits her head at the gym. When she comes to, she learns that instead of being 29 years old and pregnant with her first child, she is 39 years old, has 3 children, and is getting a divorce. When released from the hospital, she goes home and tries to figure out who she really is, who her children are, what has happened to her life and her family, and why she doesn't remember. She isn't even sure she wants to remember. Can she go back and make things right? Does she want to? Can she? While this is Alice's story, the supporting characters (her sister, her husband, her mother, her "adopted" grandmother, and others) all play important parts too. The book really made me think about my life, where it's been, where it's going, where do I want it to go, and who I want in my life. ( )
  cherybear | Jan 15, 2017 |
This was a first book I read in this genre. Im normally a fantasy-mystery kind of a woman. But I couldn't put this book down. A wonderful read a out real struggles of real women, and how all of your decisions affect your children. A must read! And the movie adaptation is coming in 2017 , so excited! ( )
  bookandsword | Jan 9, 2017 |
Twenty-nine-year-old Alice Love is pregnant with her first child, adores her husband, Nick, and has never set foot inside a spinning studio. Thirty-nine-year-old Alice Love suffers a sudden fall in her Friday spin class, wakes up with a splitting headache, and finds out she has three children and is in the middle of custody proceedings. Without any concrete memories of the past 10 years, Alice tries to figure out how her free-spirited 29-year-old self became a volunteer-coordinating, spin-class-attending 39-year-old woman. What Alice Forgot is an often funny, sometimes heartrending, deeply personal portrait of a woman attempting to unravel her own mystery.
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist

For Adam
She was floating, arms outspread, water lapping her body, breathing in a summery fragrance of salt and coconut.
Early love is exciting and exhilarating. It's light and bubbly. Anyone can love like that. But love after three children, after separation and near divorce - after you've hurt each other and forgiven each other, bored each other, after you've seen the worst and the best - well that sort of love is ineffable. It deserves its own word.

Alice Love, having woken up on the gym floor and been rushed to the hospital with a head injury, believes she is twenty-nine, expecting her first baby, and madly in love with her husband, but, after realizing she has forgotten ten years of her life and is actually thirty-nine, she is forced to try and piece together what occurred over the past decade to result in her marriage and life not being as she had hoped it would be.
Ze dreef met haar armen wijd, het water zachtjes over haar lichaam klotsend, en ademde de zomerse geur van zout en kokos in. In haar mond hing een prettige nasmaak van een goed vullend ontbijt; gebakken spek en koffie en misschien iets van een croissantje. Ze tilde haar kin op en de ochtendzon scheen zo fel op het water dat ze haar ogen moest dichtknijpen om haar voeten door de glinstering te kunnen zien. De nagels van haar tenen hadden allemaal een andere kleur. Rood. Goud. Paars. Grappig. Wanneer Alice ontwaakt uit een heerlijke droom en erachter komt dat ze in de sportschool een val heeft gemaakt, weet ze dat er iets helemaal mis is. Ze haat sportscholen, dus hoe kan ze daar zijn? Alice’ eerste zorg is haar baby, want ze is hoogzwanger. Ze wil ook graag naar haar echtgenoot Nick. Hij zal zich zeker zorgen maken. Maar Alice ís niet zwanger en Nick is verre van bezorgd. Alice is moeder van drie kinderen en de vijandige Nick is onlangs een echtscheidings-procedure gestart. Alice is tien jaar uit haar geheugen kwijt. In de dagen die volgen komt het verleden stukje bij beetje weer boven en Alice is gedwongen enkele onaangename kanten van zichzelf onder ogen te zien. Haar geheugenverlies is in ieder geval onvergetelijk!

Suffering an accident that causes her to forget the last ten years of her life, Alice is astonished to discover that she is thirty-nine years old, a mother of three children, and in the midst of an acrimonious divorce from a man she dearly loves.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,548,400 books! | Top bar: Always visible