What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty

What Alice Forgot (edition 2012)

by Liane Moriarty

Member:readingrebecca
Title:What Alice Forgot
Authors:Liane Moriarty
Info:Berkley Trade (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but no longer owned
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction/literature, divorce, marriage, memory loss, family, australia

What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty

Recently added byDOSTRONG, walsh23, harrietgate, suzyblack, roseupstone, karieh, private library, hollyfiske, arls, rubyg

What might happen if you hit your head while working out, and came to only to learn that you'd "lost" ten years of your life? That's what happens to Alice, pregnant with her first child, only to find it's ten years later, she's thin, she has three children, and her husband Nick, the love of her life, has left her.

As in Liane Moriarty's The Husband's Secret and Big Little Lies, this book also tells its story from the viewpoints of three main female characters. Besides Alice's point of view (written in third person, from both age 29 and age 39), there were journal entries to her psychiatrist from Elisabeth, Alice's sister, dealing with infertility issues; as well as letters to a (dead) former flame written by Frannie, the "grandmother" to Alice and Elisabeth. These didn't add much to Alice's main storyline, other than to help clarify what drove Alice and Elisabeth apart, and shed some light on their goofy mother (now married to Nick's father). They made the book a bit longer than it needed to be.

However, I loved the premise of this book, and the dialogue, especially that of Alice with her children - the children she doesn't "know" because she doesn't remember them. The younger Alice is upbeat and optimistic - and rather horrified to learn how much she has changed (mostly NOT for the better) in the last ten years she "missed." Of course, her memory slowly returns, and the ending is rather predictable, but getting there is compelling, even with the not-so-necessary side stories.

Best quote in the book: "Early love is exciting and exhilarating. It's light and bubbly. Anyone can love like that. But love after three children, after a separation and a near-divorce, after you've hurt each other and forgiven each other, bored each other and surprised each other, after you've seen the worst and the best - well that sort of love is ineffable. It deserves its own word."

© Amanda Pape - 2015

[This e-book was borrowed from and returned to my local public library. This review is also available on Bookin' It.] ( )
1 vote riofriotex | May 5, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this book.I thought the characters were nicely written and it really made me think about what I would do in that situation. It definitely goes on my list of favorites and I can see myself reading it again. They one and only thing I thought was a little unbelievable with this book is the fact that none of her family felt the need to tell her about Gina. What in the world was their reasoning for not telling her?? They just decided to let her wonder about it until she finally got her memory back. I did love seeing Alice grow and learn about he life though. The ending was exceptional as well! ( )
  KeriLynneD | Mar 20, 2015 |
This was a pretty good book. There were really three stories happening. One was Alice losing her memory and not remembering anything since 1998. It was now 2008 and she was separated from her husband, she was a health freak, and she was in a relationship with someone named Dominic (sp). The second story was Alice's sister Elizabeth and her infertility issues. Elizabeth had suffered six miscarriages. Alice of course doesn't remember any of her sisters history when she wakes up. Finally, Alice's grandmother is writing these letters to this mysterious person named Phil throughout the book. You have no idea who he is or why she is writing to him. At first I was like why the three stories. I felt like they fumbled together with the main story. But, as you continue reading they all fit together well, especially at the end. As always no lose ends left.

Favorite quote: "Early love is exciting and exhilarating. It's light and bubbly. Anyone can love like that. But love after three children, after separation and near divorce - after you've hurt each other and forgiven each other, bored each other,after you've seen the worst and the best - well that sort of love is ineffable. It deserves its own word." ( )
  bwhitner | Mar 16, 2015 |
The biggest reason I gave this 4 stars is because this book had me thinking about it long after I'd finished it. The whole idea of waking up and not remembering the last 10 (in Alice's case,horrible) years of your life is not something you think about every day.

I don't want to give anything away so I'll just say the story between Alice and her husband was so intriguing. Every time I'd read more of the book, it would make me so thankful for my own life (and husband!).

That said, the book did seem a little LONG at times. I felt like it could've been a little less wordy and I didn't appreciate the cussing. Other than that, I'm glad I read it. Gave me a perspective I hadn't thought about before. :) ( )
  redhedcatie | Feb 25, 2015 |
really enjoyed this book. a woman has an accident at the gym and can't remember the last ten years of her life. her family members rush to her side to try to help her, and everyone's stories unfold!! loved all the characters and each narrative. very good women's fiction!!! ( )
  amanaceerdh | Feb 18, 2015 |
Twenty-nine-year-old Alice Love is pregnant with her first child, adores her husband, Nick, and has never set foot inside a spinning studio. Thirty-nine-year-old Alice Love suffers a sudden fall in her Friday spin class, wakes up with a splitting headache, and finds out she has three children and is in the middle of custody proceedings. Without any concrete memories of the past 10 years, Alice tries to figure out how her free-spirited 29-year-old self became a volunteer-coordinating, spin-class-attending 39-year-old woman. What Alice Forgot is an often funny, sometimes heartrending, deeply personal portrait of a woman attempting to unravel her own mystery.
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist

For Adam
She was floating, arms outspread, water lapping her body, breathing in a summery fragrance of salt and coconut.
Early love is exciting and exhilarating. It's light and bubbly. Anyone can love like that. But love after three children, after separation and near divorce - after you've hurt each other and forgiven each other, bored each other, after you've seen the worst and the best - well that sort of love is ineffable. It deserves its own word.

Suffering an accident that causes her to forget the last ten years of her life, Alice is astonished to discover that she is thirty-nine years old, a mother of three children, and in the midst of an acrimonious divorce from a man she dearly loves.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,156,930 books! | Top bar: Always visible