The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks

The Last Song

by Nicholas Sparks

Recently added byprivate library, mlr4376, booksngirls, ashleykm, lee-e, nicole830, JohnViner, DemzReidbooks

This was such a wonderful book, except for the fact that I bawled my eyes out! I want to watch the movie, but I don't think I can bring myself to, since I cried so hard reading the book. :( ( )
  butterfly58 | Jun 4, 2016 |
I think I may have liked the movie a bit better but I still enjoyed this. It was a pleasant surprise after reading that horrid book 'Dear John'. While Nicholas Sparks will probably never be a favorite of mine (way too depressing), I'm not so anti-reading some of his other books. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
I am not a big Nicholas Sparks fan. Why? I don't know. Maybe I've been jaded by the schmaltzy offerings that the movies have provided of his books and because, up until this past month, I had only read one. Now, with my third under my belt, I feel a little better about offering comments. This is by far the best Sparks' book I've read. To be fair, I'll tell you that I have read Nights in Rodanthe and The Longest Ride; if you have ones that you think are better and would offer as being better than The Last Song, please let me know. I am hesitant to read more Sparks. I feel as if I am treading on banana peels with each read, and that may simply be because of the movies.

I know that Sparks is playing with my emotions, but this book was pretty well written. I liked the characters. I liked the situations. I liked the prose, which I can't say was true with The Longest Ride. In The Last Song, I think Sparks was onto some rhythm and feeling with his words. There was a lot of beauty and precision here, along with a lot of emotion.

I knew what was going to happen with the first cough. Coughs are big in literature....check out La dame aux Camélias; it goes way, way back as the first sign.

Because I have been reading a lot of YA lit recently, I liked the way Sparks handled Ronnie. He gave her qualities that other YA writers aren't dealing out to their characters. Respect. Too many YA writers (One Night That Changes Everything comes significantly to mind as an awful read from 2013) reinforce whiny, self-indulgent teens as the end-all. Ronnie and Eliza are so disparate that you could imagine they are from different planets. Yikes!

And, Ronnie deals with a lot of things in her 18th year that many of us don't have to go through, ever. I liked the way it all was handled. In fact, while I did cry, I don't know that Sparks went overboard with the melodrama. Maybe because I have been dazzled with too much melodramatic writing last year in my reading goal quest? Everything is relative.

So, loved the book. It is emotional. Maybe not for everyone, but I liked it! ( )
  SaschaD | Apr 28, 2016 |
This book definitely beats the movie. The Last Song lets you experience the characters pain and trouble through Nicholas's writing. I absolutely love this. ( )
  gracefranks25 | Apr 24, 2016 |
I could care less one way or the other for the love story in this book. For me it was all about the relationship between father and daughter. A beautiful and amazing story that left me wanting to give my dad a big hug!!! ( )
  DanaBurkey | Apr 10, 2016 |
Typically Sparksian: an engaging if heavily telegraphed stew of romance, betrayal, and youthful discovery, garnished with a healthy dollop of Christianity.

For Theresa Parks and Greg Irikura.
My friends
Staring out the bedroom window, Ronnie wondered whether Pastor Harris was already at the church.

Seventeen year old Veronica "Ronnie" Miller's life was turned upside-down when her parents divorced and her father moved from New York City to Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina. Three years later, she remains angry and alientated from her parents, especially her father...until her mother decides it would be in everyone's best interest if she spent the summer in Wilmington with him. Ronnie's father, a former concert pianist and teacher, is living a quiet life in the beach town, immersed in creating a work of art that will become the centerpiece of a local church. The tale that unfolds is an unforgettable story of love on many levels--first love, love between parents and children -- that demonstrates, as only a Nicholas Sparks novel can, the many ways that love can break our hearts...and heal them.

Retrieved from amazon.

"Seventeen-year-old Veronica 'Ronnie' Miller's life was turned upside-down when her parents divorced and her father moved to Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina. Three years later, she remains alienated from her parents, particularly her father-- until her mother decides it would be in everyone's best interest if she and her brother spent the summer with him"--Jacket.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,393,139 books! | Top bar: Always visible