The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks

The Last Song

by Nicholas Sparks

I am not a big Nicholas Sparks fan. Why? I don't know. Maybe I've been jaded by the schmaltzy offerings that the movies have provided of his books and because, up until this past month, I had only read one. Now, with my third under my belt, I feel a little better about offering comments. This is by far the best Sparks' book I've read. To be fair, I'll tell you that I have read Nights in Rodanthe and The Longest Ride; if you have ones that you think are better and would offer as being better than The Last Song, please let me know. I am hesitant to read more Sparks. I feel as if I am treading on banana peels with each read, and that may simply be because of the movies.

I know that Sparks is playing with my emotions, but this book was pretty well written. I liked the characters. I liked the situations. I liked the prose, which I can't say was true with The Longest Ride. In The Last Song, I think Sparks was onto some rhythm and feeling with his words. There was a lot of beauty and precision here, along with a lot of emotion.

I knew what was going to happen with the first cough. Coughs are big in literature....check out La dame aux Camélias; it goes way, way back as the first sign.

Because I have been reading a lot of YA lit recently, I liked the way Sparks handled Ronnie. He gave her qualities that other YA writers aren't dealing out to their characters. Respect. Too many YA writers (One Night That Changes Everything comes significantly to mind as an awful read from 2013) reinforce whiny, self-indulgent teens as the end-all. Ronnie and Eliza are so disparate that you could imagine they are from different planets. Yikes!

And, Ronnie deals with a lot of things in her 18th year that many of us don't have to go through, ever. I liked the way it all was handled. In fact, while I did cry, I don't know that Sparks went overboard with the melodrama. Maybe because I have been dazzled with too much melodramatic writing last year in my reading goal quest? Everything is relative.

So, loved the book. It is emotional. Maybe not for everyone, but I liked it! ( )
  SaschaD | Apr 28, 2016 |
This book definitely beats the movie. The Last Song lets you experience the characters pain and trouble through Nicholas's writing. I absolutely love this. ( )
  gracefranks25 | Apr 24, 2016 |
I could care less one way or the other for the love story in this book. For me it was all about the relationship between father and daughter. A beautiful and amazing story that left me wanting to give my dad a big hug!!! ( )
  DanaBurkey | Apr 10, 2016 |
This book violates just about every tenant of good fiction that I'm aware of. Why I read it in the first place is something that will require an investment of much more time than I'm prepared to invest right now. ( )
  evamat72 | Mar 31, 2016 |
Ronnie is your typical 17 year old, pissed off at the world and don't want to deal with the rentals. However, a summer in North Carolina changes her from the 17 year old to the 18 year old and the woman that she is meant to be. With love, run in with the law, self realization, as well as other typical events, it is quite the eventful summer.

I thought this book was WAY better than the movie, although I couldn't help picture Miley and the Hottie that played will while reading it. I actually cried in the end. First book in a long time to do that. ( )
  welkeral | Mar 20, 2016 |
Typically Sparksian: an engaging if heavily telegraphed stew of romance, betrayal, and youthful discovery, garnished with a healthy dollop of Christianity.

For Theresa Parks and Greg Irikura.
My friends
Staring out the bedroom window, Ronnie wondered whether Pastor Harris was already at the church.

Seventeen year old Veronica "Ronnie" Miller's life was turned upside-down when her parents divorced and her father moved from New York City to Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina. Three years later, she remains angry and alientated from her parents, especially her father...until her mother decides it would be in everyone's best interest if she spent the summer in Wilmington with him. Ronnie's father, a former concert pianist and teacher, is living a quiet life in the beach town, immersed in creating a work of art that will become the centerpiece of a local church. The tale that unfolds is an unforgettable story of love on many levels--first love, love between parents and children -- that demonstrates, as only a Nicholas Sparks novel can, the many ways that love can break our hearts...and heal them.

Retrieved from amazon.

"Seventeen-year-old Veronica 'Ronnie' Miller's life was turned upside-down when her parents divorced and her father moved to Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina. Three years later, she remains alienated from her parents, particularly her father-- until her mother decides it would be in everyone's best interest if she and her brother spent the summer with him"--Jacket.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,251,816 books! | Top bar: Always visible