Heart's Blood by Juliet Marillier

Heart's Blood (edition 2009)

by Juliet Marillier

Member:MsScarletB
Title:Heart's Blood
Authors:Juliet Marillier
Info:Roc Hardcover (2009), Hardcover, 416 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:fairy tales, fairy tales retold, beauty & the beast, fantasy

Heart's Blood by Juliet Marillier

Rose Daughter by Robin McKinley (willowsmom)
    willowsmom: An adaptation of Beauty and the Beast by an author with a similar voice.
    Fire by Kristin Cashore (Kerian)
    Kerian: Another beautifully written fantasy that Heart's Blood made me think of.
    The Perilous Gard by Elizabeth Marie Pope (Herenya)
    Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier (Herenya)

English (37)  German (2)  English (1)  Dutch (1)  English (41)
Caitlin is a girl running from her home because she was being abused by her aunt and her son, her only talent is words. She can read and write both English and Latin; at the times, a girl with education was a very rare thing; so destiny leads her to a little town, with a creepy palace hovering about it, surrounded with hunted woods called Whistling Tor. She decides to get the job as a scribe to the owner of the palace, though she heard a lot of creepy stories about the palace and the “creatures” living there with the ill chief.

What enchanted me till now in the book is the cold Gothic atmosphere, the creepy mirrors and dark magic lurking in the corners of the palace with woods filled with suffering ghosts, waiting for release from the curse that Caitlin might be able to break.

The last time I edited this review it was [Friday, July 1, 2011]. Now, after so many months [even before July], I still can't bring myself to finish this book!

It's [‎Thursday, ‎December ‎22, ‎2011] and it's been 2 years since I'm going back and forth to it. It's not that the story isn't good. It's just freaky, long and cold.

Some parts are just plain long and unnecessary. A huge part of me is yelling: "Just get to the point!"

I will finish it eventually, don't know when exactly though. I really want to see how the story will end and what will happen to "The Hosts". And will the beast finally admit to having feelings for beauty? And will beauty finally begin to be braver and quicker?! ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |

mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
This was the first novel I've read by Juliet Marillier, but it certainly won't be the last if her others are as good as this book. I loved the loose retelling of "Beauty and the Beast" with its warm and believable characters. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
3.5 Stars.

Beautifully written tale that, unfortunately, was about 100 pages too long. ( )
  Melissa_J | Jan 16, 2016 |
Within a couple of chapters, I came to the realization that Heart's Blood was, in essence, a re-imagining of the classic Beauty and the Beast fairy tale. Of course it had it's own unique twist and turns, but the basic elements were there: a disfigured man, lacking in social graces; an enchanted household; a deep, dark secret; and a beautiful young girl who loves books.

The characters Marillier created for it just might be my favorites from her fertile imagination so far. The tale is compelling because of the people caught up in it, not despite them. They each have their own idiosyncrasies, their own fears to overcome, their own strengths and weaknesses that play off each other, their own ways of relating to each other, and their own stories that are weaved into the plot.

Though Christianity is the norm in this world, hints of the old ways still linger. Magic is real. A strong Gothic element permeates the tale as well, though I wouldn't go so far as to classify it as horror. More than anything else it's a romance with a tantalizing mystery at it's heart. And while some of the revelations were predictable there were still a few surprises. ( )
  kjpmcgee | Sep 9, 2015 |

Juliet Marillierprimary authorall editionscalculated
Delon, MelanieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Godfrey-Nicholls, GayeCalligraphersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van der Kuil, WillieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Saskia and Irie with love
At a place where two tracks met, the carter brought his horse to a sudden halt.

Whistling Tor is a place of secrets, a mysterious wooded hill housing the crumbling fortress belonging to Anluan - a chieftain whose name is spoken throughout the region in tones of revulsion and bitterness. A curse lies over Anluan's family and his people, adn the woods hold a perilous force whose every whisper threatens doom.
Then the young scribe Caitrin appears in Anluan's garden, admiring the rare plant known as heart's blood Retained to sort through entangled family documents, Caitrin brings about unexpected change in the household, casting a hopeful light against the despairing shadows.

But even as Caitrin brings solace to Anluan, and the promise of something more between them, he remains in thrall to the darkness surrounding Whistling Tor. To free Anluan's burdened soul, Caitrin must unravel the web of sorcery woven by his ancestors before it claims his life - and their love.

Anluan has been crippled since childhood, part of a curse that has besieged his family and his home of Whistling Tor. But when the young scribe Caitrin is retained to sort through family documents, she brings about unexpected changes in the household, casting a hopeful light against the despairing shadows. But to truly free Anluan's burdened soul, Caitrin must unravel the web of sorcery woven by his ancestors before it claims his life-and their love.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,728,336 books! | Top bar: Always visible