Nothing Can Rescue Me by Elizabeth Daly

Nothing Can Rescue Me (1943)

by Elizabeth Daly

This is the second book by Elizabeth Daly that I've read; the first was also the first of the Henry Gamadge series, Unexpected Night. I must say that I don't really like her characters - the wealthy and their hangers-on who either can't or won't work for a living, but just hang around their rich relatives or connections, presumably hoping rich Auntie or Cousin will die, or actively plotting to bring about the demise. This could be quite entertaining if they were made more likable, but most of them are a fairly useless & unpleasant lot (and dull).

Also, oddly, although they are supposed to be American, the upper-class characters speak as though they are British.

I usually love vintage mysteries, but the Daly books are not my favourites. ( )
  booksandscones | Sep 29, 2016 |
I was a little distracted while reading this. But enjoyed it anyway. This was Agatha Christie's favorite author. I will look for more of her books. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
This is not Elizabeth Daly's best, but well up to her standard - she specialized in the time and place that was upper class New York in the 30's and 40's. I read her books to visit that time and place, as well as to read a well plotted detective story. ( )
  hedera | May 12, 2007 |
Quite a readable story, though the solution is a little too obvious ( )
  nholmes | Sep 24, 2006 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,109,663 books! | Top bar: Always visible