Our Corner Grocery Store by Joanne Schwartz

Our Corner Grocery Store (edition 2009)

by Joanne Schwartz, Laura Beingessner (Illustrator)

14None678,667 (4)None
Member:TundraBooks
Title:Our Corner Grocery Store
Authors:Joanne Schwartz
Other authors:Laura Beingessner (Illustrator)
Info:Tundra Books (2009), Hardcover, 32 pages

Our Corner Grocery Store by Joanne Schwartz

I loved the behind the scenes look of an old neighborhood grocer. ( )
  dms02 | Feb 27, 2014 |
Anna Maria spends every Saturday helping her grandparents run their Italian neighborhood grocery store. Sequential story from morning until dusk about the details of her day. Great adjectives describe each task Anna performs. Lots of white space allows focus on detailed watercolors. This is the type of book I would have loved as a kid. Author and illustrator are librarians so it's no surprise it's good!
  stzeke | Feb 8, 2011 |

A picture book that celebrates local shops and building communities.

Anna Maria takes great pleasure and pride in her grandparents’ corner grocery store. Every Saturday she spends the day helping to arrange fruits and vegetables, greet the customers, and keep things neat and tidy. Through her day we meet the neighbors and learn what an important part the corner grocery store plays in the community.

Nonno Domenico, Nonna Rosa, and Anna Maria supply more than goods as the steady stream of customers arrives. Lunches are made, news is shared, bargains are purchased, recipes are traded, and cheerful ciaos are called. By the end of a long day, Anna Maria has a true sense of just how wonderful the sights and smells within the store are and how much they mean to everyone.

Charmingly illustrated in great detail, Our Corner Grocery Store pays tribute to the small independent grocers who supply color and atmosphere to city streets. Young readers will particularly enjoy finding and naming the wide array of produce, breads, candies, and dry goods that abound in this friendly establishment.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:00 -0400)

Anna Maria describes the sights, sounds, and activities that happen at her grandparents' local grocery store whenever she goes there to help them on Saturdays.

Tundra Books

An edition of this book was published by Tundra Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,495,636 books! | Top bar: Always visible