Big and Small, Room for All by Jo Ellen…

Big and Small, Room for All

by Jo Ellen Bogart

Other authors: Gillian Newland (Illustrator)

With beautiful watercolor illustrations, and simple text, Big and Small, Room for All is a quiet meditation on the concept of size, exploring how the very notion of large and small depends upon context, and emphasizing the idea that everything has its place in the cosmos. In a series of comparisons, Jo Ellen Bogart works her down from the vast sky to the microscopic creatures too small to be seen, demonstrating throughout that there is "room for all."

It's difficult to pinpoint the exact appeal of this little concept-book. Gillian Newland's artwork has an appealing, luminous quality to it, and Bogart's text is simple and effective, but I would not describe Big and Small, Room for All as an especially brilliant title. I suppose that in the end, it works because it succeeds in prompting the young reader to consider the complexities of the concept in question. A solid entry in the author's growing body of picture-book work, and an appealing debut for the artist. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Jul 18, 2013 |
This book will allow younger students that the concept of comparison depends upon the comparison. Beautiful illustrations and text is simplistic in nature for younger students to either listen to or read the story.
  Buella2140 | Dec 5, 2010 |

Jo Ellen Bogartprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Newland, GillianIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

A captivating look at how a child, fits into the great, big universe around us.

“Big sky, big sky, what is bigger than the sky?”

In this clever concept book for young readers, award-winning author Jo Ellen Bogart explores the size of animate and inanimate objects and their place in the universe. She introduces children to the concept of “we” — that humans are a big part of the world, but a small part of existence.

In the vastness of the universe, with galaxies swirling through space, the book begins with simple words printed on the darkness. Moving closer to our world, we see the solar system, our sun at the center. Closer still, we see the huge ball of fire, which is the sun, and the third planet out from it — our blue Earth. From Earth looming huge on the page, young readers view smaller and smaller objects, from mountain to tree to man to child to kitten to mouse to flea to microscopic beings, amazing in their complexity.

Accompanied by artist Gillian Newland’s lavish watercolor paintings, Big and Small, Room for All places the immensity and wonder of space in perspective so young readers comprehend they are part of creation, but a small part of all that exists.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:35 -0400)

Children can discover an amazing world of things too small to be seen by the naked eye along with the size perception of what is bigger and what is smaller.

Tundra Books

An edition of this book was published by Tundra Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,780,147 books! | Top bar: Always visible