Greetings from Somewhere Else: A Novel by…

Greetings from Somewhere Else: A Novel

by Monica McInerney

126None94,957 (3.34)2

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was very excited when I found out I was going to receive this through LTER - it combined a few of my favorite dreams: running a B&B, cooking, travel and Ireland. At end of it, I have mixed feelings about it. Maybe I had expectations that were too high because of my passions for so many of the aspects of the book. And yes, there were definitely some laugh-out-loud lines, but overall, it was just fine. ( )
  kmboyett | Mar 9, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As someone who is looking to start her own B&B someday, I found this book quite entertaining. Lainey is sent off to Ireland to run her recently deceased Aunt's B&B for a year to help out her family financially. Unfortuntately, she has to leave behind her chef boyfriend and she figures it will be easier to break things off rather than try to keep a long distance relationship going. Ultimately she realizes that life, no matter how hard you try, cannot be planned out and organized like a celebratory event. It's fun to watch her go through the steps in realizing it and fun to learn a little Irish history in the process. ( )
  razzbelly | Nov 30, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A nice simple read. Good descriptions of Ireland"s green country landscapes. Great details of the life of running a bed and breakfast inn. ( )
  kkhughes | Oct 25, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is about twice as long as it needs to be. It is decent chick lit, but nothing beyond that. I had to re-start the book twice to get into it; the only reason I kept trying was because I received it as an Early Reader review book. Lainy, the main character, is a self-absorbed woman who is rather bossy and annoying. The dialogue sequences are tedious -- no one has conversations like that with their families. It's rather silly, and never ending.

It's a light read. The romantic element is forced. I'm not really sure what the author was going for here. I also wonder why the editor didn't cut the book by about 100 pages. ( )
  brainella | Oct 13, 2009 |
fun romantic romp. Nice Irish B&B setting. ( )
  Liciasings | Sep 20, 2009 |

"Lainey Byrne is a master at controlled chaos, juggling her hectic, demanding job, her chef boyfriend with his crazy hours, and her roiling family with all its daily dramas. But her life truly threatens to spin out of control when her aunt May, who owns a B&B in Ireland, passes away. In order for the Byrnes to collect their inheritance, someone from the family must take over Aunt May ?s business for a year. And apparently that someone is Lainey."--Back cover.… (more)

Monica McInerney is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Greetings from Somewhere Else by Monica McInerney was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,492,921 books! | Top bar: Always visible