Be A Lady: Being the Adventures of an…

Be A Lady: Being the Adventures of an Enlightened American in Jane…

by Amanda Elyot

May 28, 08 - So far this book is awesome! It's what "Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict" should have been. Very, very interesting. Based on what I've read so far any Jane Austen fan might enjoy this book.

June 9, 08 - Very, very good book. I like how this Jane Austen addict actually stuck to the ideals and mannerisms of the time instead of trying to change everybody and everything. It really was her adventure of becoming a lady of Edwardian England. ( )
  wendithegray | May 1, 2017 |
The only thing I can give this author credit for is the idea. The rest of it just made me want to laugh! Everything was so horrifyingly predictable - at first I wondered if it was supposed to be a satire on the quintessential "happy ending" novel of the time, but its countless sex scenes forced me to scrap that idea. Not to mention the endless (and I mean endless) coincidences and silly actions by silly characters that I just can't be forced to believe.

And honestly, I could not bring myself to like the protagonist. Her "modern" outlook on life seems, to put it plainly, like that of a modern hooker. She does stupid things and never learns from them - insisting that she won't be "put down" by an era wherein it's merely common sense not to do certain things.

All in all, the author had a good idea, but her writing was too silly to make it worth reading. At least it gave me a good laugh. ( )
  ioet | Jun 11, 2011 |
I was interested in the beginning of the book as it follows C.J. as she attempts to survive in 1801 England. But the book quickly morphs into very odd tale as C.J. manages to jump back and forth in time. She is only able to see glimpses of her life in present-day New York as the people around her cannot hear her. She falls in bed with the Earl of Darlington and is introduced to Kama Sutra sex and ruined reputations.

Austen also only speaks in lines from her books and her works. How boring! And made me think that Austen was only added to the tale in order to capitalize on the growth of Austenesque books recently.

Read more on my blog: http://ardentreader.wordpress.com/2011/02/18/by-a-lady/ ( )
  theardentreader | Apr 7, 2011 |
I was excited to read this, as the premise sounded great. However, I should have read reviews on it beforehand. I have to admit that at first I was excited to read this, and got into the story. Then, the plot became preposterous and included many items that did not need to be included in the story, which made it become trashy rather quickly. The initial plot, I think, could have been wonderfully carried off, if it weren't for the author trying to come up with ONE MORE thing to throw into the story and make the book laughable. I finished it, but skimmed many parts just to complete it to see how the author wrapped it up. Personally, if you have Jane Austen any where near a book, try not to bring trashy love scenes into it. I only gave it 2 stars because I did enjoy it at first... but as time goes by, it leaves a bad taste in the mouth! ( )
  OreAnnie | Nov 10, 2009 |
If you are an Austen fan, run, do not walk, away from this book as fast as you can. If you are a fan of historical fiction with a romantic flavor, go read Amanda Quick and her compatriots. If you want a bizarre mishmash of Austen, time travel, and bad historical romance, why, you've found the right book. The first 160 pages read like any other Austen wannabe author, with a sprinkling of Austen names and locales. (The great Jane herself is dragged in as a character whose only dialog is quotes from her novels.) Then the author gleefully leaps into a weird mix of Regency soap opera, copious bedroom scenes, strident social commentary, and Shakespearean reference. I read about 200 pages and then leafed dolefully through the rest. Then I went and read Sense and Sensibility to take away the horrid aftertaste of an hour with this complete train wreck of a novel. The author gets 1/2 a star for a cute idea. ( )
  Turrean | Apr 20, 2009 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,375,965 books! | Top bar: Always visible