Our Lady of Pain (Edwardian Murder…

Our Lady of Pain (Edwardian Murder Mysteries) (edition 2007)

by Marion Chesney

Member:pamelad
Title:Our Lady of Pain (Edwardian Murder Mysteries)
Authors:Marion Chesney
Info:St. Martin's Press (2007), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 244 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:**
Tags:Darebin, Historical, Crime, British, 2000s, 2013

Our Lady of Pain by Marion Chesney

I read all four of the books in this series in quick succession, and by the time I got about halfway through this one I just felt done with all the characters. Lady Rose devolves in this installment, becoming a passive damsel-in-distress--a weird shift, given her character's trajectory in the first three books. The writing here, as in books two and three, continues to be very stilted (and poorly, poorly edited in places). There are also a number of awkward "info dumps" about Edwardian minutiae throughout that completely disrupt the tone. Surely there were ways to work in explanations of some of these period details without being so didactic.

As literary chewing gum, these books were a fine way to pass the time...but as mysteries, and particularly as novels featuring a female detective figure, you could do much, much better. ( )
  rvhatha | Jul 22, 2013 |
I didn't get very far with this book. Edwardian times, shallow characters that I never got into. Stopped at 2nd tape. ( )
  Pmaurer | May 25, 2013 |
The end of the series. Found it quite annoying in the end as it became difficult to care about any of the main protagonists as they were just so unlikeble. But passed the time. ( )
  riverwillow | Jan 20, 2012 |
Silly little Victorian mystery with a miscommunication romance between Lady Rose and Captain Harry with a subplot of her companion Daisy and Harry's assistant. Captain Harry flaunts society by opening a detective agency and getting involved in the murder of a woman of questionable background. ( )
  Kathy89 | Sep 2, 2010 |
I didn't care for this book. In fact, I didn't finish it. When I arrived at the halfway mark, and still didn't care for any of the characters, and wasn't interested in the mystery, and a couple of the characters jumped in bed before marriage, I just didn't care to go on. I flipped to the end to see if it justified the poor beginning and found the moral tone even worse, the characters still unlikeable and I still didn't care about the mystery. Your mileage may vary.
Some of the bits about Edwardian times were interesting, but not enough to keep mine. ( )
1 vote MrsLee | May 23, 2008 |

THIS DEBUTANTE IS TO DIE FOR

Lady Rose Summer, the wayward Edwardian debutante who keeps getting mixed up in disreputable adventures, would swear she is not a jealous woman. After all, she knows her engagement to private detective Captain Harry Cathcart is only a ploy to keep her parents from shipping her off to India to find a husband. But then Harry's latest client, Dolores Duval, a vision of curves with a seductive Parisian accent -- starts appearing everywhere at his side. And that changes everything.

In a fit of rage, Rose threatens the French siren... only to be found the very next day standing over her dead body. Ooh la la! The newspapers rush to convict Rose, but can Harry and Superintendent Kerridge of Scotland Yard clear her name, and put the real murderer behind bars?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312998376, Mass Market Paperback)

THIS DEBUTANTE IS TO DIE FOR
Lady Rose Summer, the wayward Edwardian debutante who keeps getting mixed up in disreputable adventures, would swear she is not a jealous woman. After all, she knows her engagement to private detective Captain Harry Cathcart is only a ploy to keep her parents from shipping her off to India to find a husband. But then Harry's latest client, Dolores Duval--a vision of curves with a seductive Parisian accent--starts appearing everywhere at his side. And that changes everything.

In a fit of rage, Rose threatens the French siren…only to be found the very next day, standing over her dead body. Ooh la la! The newspapers rush to convict Rose, but can Harry and Superintendent Kerridge of Scotland Yard clear her name, and put the real murderer behind bars?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:17 -0400)

"Lady Rose Summer, the wayward Edwardian debutante who keeps getting mixed up in disreputable adventures, would swear she is not a jealous woman. After all, she knows her engagement to private detective Captain Harry Cathcart is only a ploy to keep her parents from shipping her off to India to find a husband. But then Harry's latest client, Dolores Duval - a vision of curves with a seductive French accent - starts appearing everywhere at his side. And that changes everything." "In a fit of rage, Rose threatens Dolores, only to be found the very next day standing over her dead body. The newspapers rush to convict her, but can Harry and Superintendent Kerridge of Scotland Yard clear Rose's name and put the real murderer behind bars?"--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Minotaur Books

An edition of this book was published by Minotaur Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,445,879 books! | Top bar: Always visible