Born Under a Million Shadows: A Novel by…

Born Under a Million Shadows: A Novel (2009)

by Andrea Busfield

168None70,620 (3.88)9

English (24)  Danish (2)  All languages (26)
I randomly chose this book off the library shelf because of its spine and title [b:Born Under a Million Shadows|6361937|Born Under a Million Shadows|Andrea Busfield|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/514C3s42f+L._SL75_.jpg|6549053]. It sounded good, and I was intrigued by the jacket's description that it "captures the hope and humanity of the Afghan people." I've read other books that are set in Afghanistan and they focus more on the "struggle and despair" than hope.

The book did not disappoint. Yes, there is hardship in the book, but it is not the gutrenching horrors of [b:The Kite Runner|77203|The Kite Runner|Khaled Hosseini|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1255573780s/77203.jpg|3295919]. It is after 9/11 and the country is officially free from Taliban rule. Narrated by an eleven year old boy provides an optimistic, carefree perspective that an adult POV could not. The characters are all likeable. There is wit and laughter in their lives. They may be born under a million shadows, but they do find sunshine.

It's not a master piece of literature, but it is colour and joy for a country about which we usually only hear grey and sorrow. ( )
  LDVoorberg | Apr 7, 2013 |
For the most part, I really enjoyed this one. It did start to drag a little towards the end- the story just wasn't going anywhere for the last bit- but mostly, I thought it was great. I thought Fawad's character was very lovable, and his point of view was fascinating. I loved watching him discover how different things were between his world and Georgie's and how puzzling some things appeared to him. I found all the character's really interesting and I liked how they interacted with each other. I especially enjoyed all the back stories that we got on certain characters as they really added to the mood of the story. Overall, it was a very enjoyable read with very likable characters. ( )
  nicola26 | Mar 30, 2013 |
In this novel East meets West, as little Fawad goes to live in a British household. I enjoyed the shock of cultures, Fawad's impressions and reactions, the details in relationships between men and women, foreigners and locals. I found difficult the dissonance in the book: oftentimes it is told through the eyes of a ten year-old, but sometimes the author (a journalist) cannot help but intervene and give a political and historical account of Afghan events, and other times yet, the love story between Georgie and Khalid seems to mature and complicated to be understood by a boy, however mature he might be. I found those sequences jarring in an otherwise well written and thoughtful book. Although I might warn potential reader, that the ending is very corny - too bad because the mix of drama, hope, laughter and terror is well balanced all throughout. ( )
  Cecilturtle | Dec 11, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I don't know why, but I just couldn't get into this book. I picked it up and put it down many times. Perhaps I had read too many books similar to it. I do plan on keeping it and trying again when I am ready. From all the other reviews, I am sure it will be worth it. ( )
  gj1213 | Apr 21, 2011 |
Beautiful book as seen through the eyes of an 11yr old Afghan boy whose mother finds employment with an English woman who is in love with an Afghan warlord...highly recommended... ( )
  ilurvebooks | Dec 9, 2010 |
For my mum,my dad , and my sister
My name is Fawad, and my mother tells me I was born under the shadow of the Taliban.

Description: A moving tale of the triumph of the human spirit amidst heartbreaking tragedy, told through the eyes of a charming, impish, and wickedly observant Afghan boy

The Taliban have withdrawn from Kabul’s streets, but the long shadows of their regime remain. In his short life, eleven-year-old Fawad has known more grief than most: his father and brother have been killed, his sister has been abducted, and Fawad and his mother, Mariya, must rely on the charity of parsimonious relatives to eke out a hand-to-mouth existence.

Ever the optimist, Fawad hopes for a better life, and his dream is realized when Mariya finds a position as a housekeeper for a charismatic Western woman, Georgie, and her two foreign friends. The world of aid workers and journalists is a new one for Fawad, and living with the trio offers endless curiosities—including Georgie’s destructive relationship with the powerful Afghan warlord Haji Khan, whose exploits are legendary. Fawad grows resentful and worried, until he comes to learn that love can move a man to act in surprisingly good ways. But life, especially in Kabul, is never without peril, and the next calamity Fawad must face is so devastating that it threatens to destroy the one thing he thought he could never lose: his love for his country.

A big-hearted novel infused with crackling wit, Andrea Busfield’s brilliant debut captures the hope and humanity of the Afghan people and the foreigners who live among them.

In post-Taliban Afghanistan, Fawad and his mother move in with a Western woman who has a relationship with a notorious Afghan warlord, and soon, a horrible tragedy threatens to destroy Fawad's love for his country.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Born Under a Million Shadows by Andrea Busfield was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,455,252 books! | Top bar: Always visible