The City of Splendors by Ed Greenwood

The City of Splendors

by Ed Greenwood, Elaine Cunningham

Other authors: Jean Pierre Targete (Cover artist)

Series: Forgotten Realms, The Cities (book 4)

This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot. wordpress.leafmarks.com & Bookstooge's Reviews on the Road Facebook Group by Bookstooge's Exalted Permission. Title: The City of Splendors Series: The Cities Author: Elaine Cunningham & Ed Greenwood Rating: 3.5 of 5 Stars Genre: SFF Pages: 544 Format: Kindle digital edition Synopsis: Waterdeep, an important city, is struggling under the weight of shiftless younger nobles, a rising working class, an ailing leader, attacks by a priest and his ilk and the machinations of a crimelord/magician. My Thoughts: I don't like Ed Greenwood's books. The couple of Elminster books I read were pretty low on the "skillz" level even for Forgotten Realms. So I went into this with wicked low expectations. On the other hand, I really enjoyed Cunningham's Dark Journey. So I didn't know WHAT I was going to encounter. This was also a good bit longer than the usual FR book, so that was nice. Surprisingly, this was good. There were a variety of plot lines, that while intertwining, weren't repetitive. The whole Religion of Amalgamation was pretty interesting and I wished that it had played a bigger part than it did. It had potential. Definitely a good wrap up to the Cities Tetralogy. " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |

Ed Greenwoodprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cunningham, Elainemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Targete, Jean PierreCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This is the novel "The City of Splendors", keep it separate from the boxed set of supplementary campaign material "City of Splendors".

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0786940042, Mass Market Paperback)

Amazon.com Exclusive Content

Amazon.com's Significant Seven
Ed Greenwood kindly agreed to take the life quiz we like to give to all our authors: the Amazon.com Significant Seven.

Q: What book has had the most significant impact on your life?
A: I can't possibly pick just one. The Lord of the Rings is one of them, but there have been so many. I have 80,000 of them at home right now.

Q: You are stranded on a desert island with only one book, one CD, and one DVD--what are they?
A: The book: any Discworld omnibus (Terry Pratchett), because I'm greedy. I think I'll ask him if I can pick my own selection, the next time his publishers are slapping several titles together. If it really must be just a single book: A Song for Arbonne by Guy Gavriel Kay.

The CD: Cheating time again. Your Hundred Best Tunes (London label, two four-CD sets, but a dearly loved and now-vanished store, the Madrigal, once sold them taped together, in a brick of glorious music). Force me to pick just one? I can't. Tubular Bells? Selling England by the Pound? Eldorado? No, I just can't.

The DVD: Jackson's complete Lord of the Rings set. If I really can only pick a single disc: The Man Who Would Be King (Connery, Caine, and Plummer). Beats The Princess Bride by a nose, some days but not others.

Q: What is the worst lie you've ever told?
A: Not telling a friend that the love of her life had just been killed, because I didn't think she should learn that from me, in that place, at that time. It hurt to do it, and I still think it was the right thing to do, but it still hurts.

Q: Describe the perfect writing environment.
A: A Secret Place: a quiet spot where I can go off by myself to think. For me, a forest glade. That just happens to have electricity running up a handy stump, right beside a smooth stump angled to sit upon. Not just for my computer, but for kettles so I can brew endless mugs of green tea and hot chocolate.

Q: If you could write your own epitaph, what would it say?
A: Here lies Ed, who tried to make people happy. Please sit down and have an easy moment. I now have plenty to share.

Q: Who is the one person living or dead that you would like to have dinner with?
A: Any of my grandfathers ("Any?" long story), because I was too young to be able to pick their brains in a candid, man-to-man fashion ere they died. Not just because I'd love to know the truth, or at least their side, of various family tales, events, and disputes. Not just because I desperately want to know more of their characters, and spend more time with them. It's also because they were gushing, articulate fonts of knowledge about times now gone, the daily customs and attitudes and aspirations of "then." The saying: "There were MEN in those days" comes to mind. And no, I'm not belittling the women of the family. They did talk to me, at eloquent length, before passing away. They knew the importance of sharing and passing lore on.

Q: If you could have one superpower, what would it be?
A: The power to read people's minds, at very close range and only when I tried to. Not to read bank account numbers or anything of the sort, but to know their true feelings, so as not to offend and so I can best make them happy. Spreading happiness has to be the most heroic thing ordinary folk can daily do.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:16 -0400)

In the streets of Waterdeep, conspiracies run like water through the gutters, bubbling beneath the seeming calm of the citys life. As a band of young, foppish lords discovers there is a dark side to the city they all love, a sinister mage and his son seek to create perverted creatures to further their twisted ends.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,079,899 books! | Top bar: Always visible