Not Quite a Husband by Sherry Thomas

Not Quite a Husband

by Sherry Thomas

Wonderful story, wonderful historical details. ( )
  Marcella1717 | Jan 22, 2016 |
One of the better novels in this genre. The characters were fairly well developed overall. Once again the story fizzled towards the end. Or was wrapped up a bit too neatly. And there was way too much reliance on "miscommunication" as a plot device.

SPOILER ALERT

It was difficult to believe the heroine NEVER confronted the hero on his pre-maritial/post-engagement infidelity that she personally witnessed, until he literally pushed her to tell him years later, after a long separation.

Other than that, one of the better offerings. ( )
  cmlloyd67 | Jun 7, 2015 |
Me habría gustado (a pesar de que pasa esa palabra que empieza con cuer y termina con -nos) si la autora no hubiese puesto tantas escenas (Alerta: Temas adultos) de sexo con gente dormida: primero el marido la despierta con sexo, consciente de que ella está enojada con él, aunque el no sepa porqué--y tampoco creo que pueda considerarse sexo, porque tal implica consentimiento de las dos partes y, estando una dormida, no lo hay... igual es punto medio gris en esta caso, porque tampoco sé SI EN ESTE CONTEXTO DE FICCIÓN ROMÁNTICA pueda considerarse una violación, porque los dos lo disfrutan.....*suspiro* Me frustró bastante la novela, odio las escenas de este estilo. Por un lado, sé que hay gente, gente real, que disfruta de ese estilo de sexo; pero, por otro, yo lo encuentro ... bue, todo lo contrario de gustar. Por eso dudo, y por eso, esta novela me frustró demasiado....

En fin, como venía escribiendo, primero el marido, y después la mujer le hace lo mismo! Y son así al menos, muuuuchas escenas entre ambos. De ahí mi asquito, como dije previamente, porque si bien sé que hay personas que disfrutan de esas prácticas sexuales, creo que mi horror con esta historia tiene más que ver con gustos personales.

No sé si me explico, a lo que voy es que no son escenas de violencia (no como la escena infame de [b:This Heart of Mine|73100|This Heart of Mine (Chicago Stars, #5)|Susan Elizabeth Phillips|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1391625031s/73100.jpg|1088958]), pero que a mi igual me pusieron los pelos de punta y, después de cada una, no me pude concentrar del todo en la historia y menos que menos, simpatizar con sus protagonistas.

En fin, creo que en este caso, mi desagrado es más personal que otra cosa. ( )
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
I could not get into this book. Too many details. Gave up after 50 pages
  Dawn772 | Jan 29, 2015 |
I began this book with some trepidation. A lifelong passion for the history and literature of British India has left me embarrassingly intolerant of inaccuracies in books about this period.

Sherry Thomas being an author for whom I have the greatest respect, her choice of late-Victorian India as the setting of [b:Not Quite a Husband|5841500|Not Quite a Husband|Sherry Thomas|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1255809684s/5841500.jpg|6013640] had me praying that she wouldn't stumble on the historical details. I needn't have worried. After a dozen or so pages I relaxed and, while enjoying the saga of Bryony and Leo, sat back and indulged in the geekish pastime of trying to identify the sources of Ms Thomas' background research. (I was only partly successful.)

The narrative structure of [b:Not Quite a Husband|5841500|Not Quite a Husband|Sherry Thomas|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1255809684s/5841500.jpg|6013640] is solid and straightforward. Dedicated physician Bryony turns her back on a disastrous marriage and ends up practicing her medical skills in a Himalayan outpost of the Raj. Her estranged husband Leo tracks her down and persuades her to return home to visit a dying relative. He accompanies her on the long and perilous journey out of the mountain wilderness, and the two of them are caught up in a local uprising, trapped in a small fort besieged by an army of religious fanatics.

Against this compulsively thrilling background, the story of Bryony and Leo's failed marriage and their continuing antagonism is revealed through deftly written dialogues and occasional flashbacks to their courtship and marriage in England.

If I have any reservations about this enthralling book, they concern the personality and motivation of Bryony. Her sudden revulsion for a husband who has idolised her since childhood is explained in the denouement but, space permitting, I would have appreciated a deeper analysis of her idiosyncratic psychology. ( )
  skirret | Jan 2, 2015 |
Getting a finished draft out of me takes a good editor.
Making me cheerfully commit to start-over-from-scratch revisions takes a great editor.
Getting a revised book out of me twice as good as what I started with takes an extraordinary editor.

This book is dedicated to Caitlin Alexander, my extraordinary editor.
Prologue
In the course of her long and illustrious career, Bryony Asquith was the subject of numerous newspaper and magazine articles, almost all of which described her appearance as distinguished and unique, and unfailingly commented upon the dramatic streak of white in her midnight dark hair.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553592432, Mass Market Paperback)

Sherry Thomas is one of the hottest new voices in historical romance, garnering the highest praise from today’s bestselling writers (“Entrancing.” —Mary Balogh; “Ravishingly sinful, intelligent and addictive.” —Eloisa James). Now Sherry delivers this powerful story of a remarkable woman and the love she thought she’d never find—with the man she thought she’d lost forever.…

Their marriage lasted only slightly longer than the honeymoon—to no one’s surprise, not even Bryony Asquith’s. A man as talented, handsome, and sought after by society as Leo Marsden couldn't possibly want to spend his entire life with a woman who rebelled against propriety by becoming a doctor. Why, then, three years after their annulment and half a world away, does he track her down at her clinic in the remotest corner of India?

Leo has no reason to think Bryony could ever forgive him for the way he treated her, but he won’t rest until he’s delivered an urgent message from her sister—and fulfilled his duty by escorting her safely back to England. But as they risk their lives for each other on the journey home, will the biggest danger be the treacherous war around them—or their rekindling passion?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:10 -0400)

A man as talented, handsome, and sought after by society as Leo Marsden couldn't possibly want to spend his entire life with a woman who rebelled against propriety by becoming a doctor. Why, then, three years after their annulment and half a world away, does he track her down at her clinic in the remotest corner of India?… (more)

Sherry Thomas is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,022,648 books! | Top bar: Always visible