Holy Cow: An Indian Adventure by Sarah…

Holy Cow: An Indian Adventure

by Sarah Macdonald

1,120397,356 (3.43)50

English (38)  Dutch (1)  All (39)
I related to the author in many ways during my tour of India. Shame the B story about her relationship with her boyfriend didn't engage me, though. ( )
  MahaErwin | Sep 16, 2016 |
[Holy Cow: An Indian Adventure] by Sarah MacDonald
-1★'s

From The Book:
In her twenties, journalist Sarah MacDonald backpacked around India and came away with a lasting impression of heat, pollution and poverty. So when an airport beggar read her palm and told her she would return to India—and for love—she screamed, “Never!” and gave the country, and him, the finger.

But eleven years later, the prophecy comes true. When the love of Sarah’s life is posted to India, she quits her dream job to move to the most polluted city on earth, New Delhi. For Sarah this seems like the ultimate sacrifice for love, and it almost kills her, literally. Just settled, she falls dangerously ill with double pneumonia, an experience that compels her to face some serious questions about her own fragile mortality and inner spiritual void. “I must find peace in the only place possible in India,” she concludes. “Within.” Thus begins her journey of discovery through India in search of the meaning of life and death.

[Holy Cow] is MacDonald’s often hilarious chronicle of her adventures in a land of chaos and contradiction, of encounters with Hinduism, Islam and Jainism, Sufis, Sikhs, Parsis and Christians and a kaleidoscope of yogis, swamis and Bollywood stars. From spiritual retreats and crumbling nirvanas to war zones and New Delhi nightclubs, it is a journey that only a woman on a mission to save her soul, her love life—and her sanity—can survive.

My Thoughts:
I read this to complete a challenge and the cover looked interesting. Both bad reasons to read a book. Shame on me! I found her entire approach to "investigating" the people and beliefs of this country to be obnoxious and condescending. No one forced her to return to India and I'm sure the people of India were more than happy to see her backside getting on the plane. The author's attitude toward India and Indians combines the worst of both the old and the new west by patronizingly sneering at a culture she doesn't understand and obviously has no desire to, much less offer any sign of respect. I've guess I've read worse books but I can't remember when.
  Carol420 | Jul 27, 2016 |
- "Hari Lal" as described by the author doesnt mean "Green Red" it means Lord Vishnu's Son.
- Author has exaggerated about the film "Yaadein" (oh in fact the name of the film is Yaadein and not Yaardein as she has mentioned REPEATEDLY). The film is not 4 hours long as claimed by the author(in fact none of films made in India are never so long !!). the film infact is just shy of 3hours time.
- In the same chapter she criticises about movie "Dil Chahtha Hai" telling this is the usual run of the mill movie usually made in India. Again this was one of the blockbuster movie mainly because it was quite different from the usual stuff. Be it in direction, costumes, story you name it.
-At one place she is comparing the dressing sense of Pakistani female and Indian female. But how ?? The dress worn by females in pakistan in a five star hotel party with those worn by women in India during pilgrimage (come on Sarah Madam do a proper comparision).
-Except for the last 100-150 pages the author is only complaining...why not tell something good that happened (dont tell me she had encountered only problems in India).

For god's sake dont tell me in Entire Delhi she couldnt get a place where there wasnt dust/pollution. Its national capital and not a village !! why crib about this on and on and on and on and on .... and finally if she dint like the country and the situations cant she and Jonathan (her husband) just sit and talk and leave the country !!!

GUYS IF YOU WANT TO READ A FAR FAR BETTER BOOK ABOUT INDIA I WOULD STRONGLY RECOMMEND "IN SPITE OF THE GODS" by Edward Luce. ( )
  _RSK | Jan 26, 2016 |
On the summer reading list for Chatham first year students in social science.
  ceb115 | Nov 3, 2015 |
Sarah does a great job bringing the smells and sights to life. Although she loves her adopted country, we mostly get the dirty, smoggy, putrid descriptions. I get it that the people are what make India so lovable, but her details in sh** and bugs and sewage keep me away. I do, however, like her descriptions on religion and her journey through faith. ( )
  jenngv | Jun 25, 2015 |

In her twenties, journalist Sarah Macdonald backpacked around India and came away with a lasting impression of heat, pollution and poverty. So when an airport beggar read her palm and told her she would return to India—and for love—she screamed, “Never!” and gave the country, and him, the finger.

Holy Cow is Macdonald’s often hilarious chronicle of her adventures in a land of chaos and contradiction, of encounters with Hinduism, Islam and Jainism, Sufis, Sikhs, Parsis and Christians and a kaleidoscope of yogis, swamis and Bollywood stars. From spiritual retreats and crumbling nirvanas to war zones and New Delhi nightclubs, it is a journey that only a woman on a mission to save her soul, her love life—and her sanity—can survive.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:58 -0400)

A popular Australian radio correspondent humorously recounts her reluctant relocation to New Delhi, India, where a dangerous illness propelled her to explore the region's culture and spirituality in order to discover its virtues as well as a greater understanding about life and death.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,229,095 books! | Top bar: Always visible