Guardian of the Flame by T. L. Higley

Guardian of the Flame

by T. L. Higley

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
My review for this novel I received as an Early Reviewer is very late because I lost interest soon after starting it and have only recently decided to give it another go. Overall, I find this book enjoyable, but because I didn't feel compelled to finish it and because there are so many other excellent books to read first, I can't give it very high marks. For me, this was average. ( )
  saskreader | May 30, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was very excited to read a book by author, T.L. Higley. When I got this in the mail I started reading it right away. Maybe it was the author or maybe it was just not what I expected, but I found it to be very boring. I did like the history that was mixed about Cleopatra, but the romance between the main character and the Roman was very slow. I read about halfway and could not finish, maybe her other books are better. ( )
  palmtreegirl24 | Mar 11, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I wasn't sure that I would enjoy this book as I'm not much into historical fiction or non-fiction. But I was pleasantly surprised. I think that the characters are well-developed and the story moves along at a good pace. I enjoyed the bits of history that came to life through this novel. ( )
  bailey9189 | Feb 15, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I just finally got around to reading this book. I've always liked historical fiction, but I wasn't sure how I would like this one, as I never read anything about ancient Alexandria, and the extent of my experience with ancient Rome was with Julius Caesar and The Aeneid. But anyway, I am happy to report that I enjoyed it. It moves fairly quickly and has a lot of action, and the characters are fairly well developed. I definitely wouldn't mind reading more by T.L. Higley - I never liked history class, but reading this book was like a fun version of that dreaded high school course. I was very impressed by the author's research into this time period, and I'm now interested in learning more about it. I certainly wouldn't mind reading more of this author's work. ( )
  mellybean36 | Feb 1, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have really had a difficult time getting into this book. The premise of the Lighthouse of Alexandra and using some historical figures as real characters in the story seemed like it would draw my interest since I love anything with historical background... but it just didn't grab me like I hoped it would. I've struggled to read it, and am only about half through it... ( )
  KHill41818 | Jan 25, 2010 |
Sophia pressed her forehead against the chilled window glass of her private chamber and tried to capture a glimpse of life, far below and out of reach.
"You women of Alexandria" - he took in Cleopatra with glance - "part brilliant Greece and part passionate Egypt, but both more spirited than a dozen Roman women."

Guardian of the Flame is book three in the Seven Wonders series of novels transporting readers back to the Ancient World. Characters struggle to find meaning in a pagan society and are confronted by the one true God and His message of redemption.

The year is 48 BC. Sophia, a woman hurt by past loss, guards the famous lighthouse of Alexandria, Egypt, in order to hide herself away from a world she deems cruel and unloving. But there is no escape. Political turmoil swells as Roman general Julius Caesar and his legion storm the city, and Cleopatra, Greek queen of Egypt , fights to retain her country against both Caesar and bloodthirsty rivals within her own household. Sophia is caught in the middle between a loyalty to Cleopatra and her maddening interest in Bellus, the Roman soldier whom Caesar has instructed to overtake the lighthouse.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:17 -0400)

Alexandria, 48 B.C. In a city ravaged by the clash of cultures, one woman fights for solitude. Will a Roman soldier destroy her peace?

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Guardian of the Flame by T. L. Higley was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,619,135 books! | Top bar: Always visible