Indemnity Only by Sara Paretsky

Indemnity Only (1983)

by Sara Paretsky

Series: V.I. Warshawski (1)

1,2053210,132 (3.43)50
Recently added byprivate library, CDSNeedham, powertriangle, paxx, skud88, EmmaKG, pamwurtzler, rena75

English (31)  German (1)  All languages (32)
Although a bit a slow in places, and despite the excess adverbs, I liked “Indemnity Only” well enough.

The plot didn’t grip me, but that’s not to say it was flawed in any way. I liked it in parts, rather than on the whole.

I like the main character a lot. She’s tough, but no less feminine because of it. I like her humour, especially when it’s delivered at an inappropriate moment, which is often.

Being English born and bred, the references to The Cubs and their respective sport (I assume baseball) were lost on me. Descriptions from the games was like listening to a code that I couldn’t crack. Luckily, these were asides, with no impact on the plot. ( )
  PhilSyphe | Apr 18, 2019 |
This book was first released in 1982, and it certainly feels like it belongs to a more innocent and technologically-challenged era. Still, V.I. Warshawski deserves a place in the Parnassos of mouthy detectives and empowered women.
I had a lot of fun reading it, laughing out loud several times in the middle of the street. There is no higher praise for a book. ( )
  Tacuazin | Feb 28, 2018 |
I saw the movie V.I. Warshawski (1991) with Kathleen Turner before I ever realized that it was about a character in a fiction series by Sara Paretsky. I thoroughly loved Kathleen Turner in this role and was equally delighted when I discovered the fiction series itself. I haven't read any of the titles in the order of the series but it was a special joy to finally read the 'first' book.

I was particularly touched by the author's insight as shared by Vic about grief..."Oh, yes. That's going to take a while. All mourning takes a long time, and you can't rush it along. My dad's been dead ten years now, and every now and then, something comes up that lets me know that the mourning is still going on, and another piece of it is in place. The hard part doesn't last so long. While it is going on, though, don't fight it - the more you poke away the grief and anger, the longer it takes to sort it out."

I started reading the book on a recent Thursday evening and that Saturday I learned that my brother-in-law had died after his battle Stage 4 Pancreatic Cancer came to a close.

Corduroy7 | Nov 16, 2017 |
Vick Warshawski is a Chicago cop’s daughter and an independent private detective. A man calling himself John Thayer hires her to find his son’s missing girlfriend, Anita Hill. Vick starts with the basics, such as checking the boyfriend Peter’s apartment for clues. What she finds is Peter’s body. The mystery deepens when she goes to Peter Thayer’s dad to ask him some questions and finds the real John Thayer. Vick is soon drawn into a case of insurance fraud, big unions, and the missing Anita Hill.

When I was a kid, the VI Warshawski movie came out and parts of that movie have stuck with me. So recently I got my hands on the first 5 Warshawski stories as audiobooks and Book 1 does not disappoint! This is way better than the movie I remember. First, I really like Vick. She’s independent and practical. She knows herself and what she’s willing to do or not do. For instance, she doesn’t hesitate to break into Peter’s apartment – and no guilty conscience there nor any second guessing herself. She also holds her own with stubborn cops and overbearing business men. The story occasionally brings up gender inequalities, but not so much so that I felt I was being asked to go to a Woman’s Pride parade.

The plot was pretty good as well. I was guessing for most of the book as to who was the culprit. While it was apparent pretty early on that there was some connection between the insurance company that John and Peter both worked for and the big union Anita’s dad worked for, I couldn’t guess the specifics until near the end.

The story is set before the time of cell phones and widespread internet. Vick actually has to track down physical information. While this dates the book a bit, I quite enjoyed it. I’m just old enough to recall the days before modern computing and the world wide web of information. So I have an appreciation for how hard it was for Vick to track down all the info that lead her to the bad guy.

There’s two side characters in this story that I really liked. There’s Vick’s best friend, the Viennese Lottie, who is a doctor. It never hurts to have a doctor as a personal friend especially when you get banged up as often as Vick. Then there’s Peter’s young sister Jill Thayer. Vick takes her under her wing a time or two in this book.

All around, this book exceeded my expectations. I half expected the story to be a cozy detective novel with a body or two. That was not the case. Vick is serious about her business and the men who want her off the case are serious too. Vick’s life is seriously in danger more than once in this book and if I didn’t know there were several more in the series, I would have been worried about her or those closest to her. As a final note, I loved that Vick took some hits and kept mouthing off. I also loved that those closest to her were concerned for her but didn’t coddle and coo over her as if she was some poor defenseless woman. Vick is awesome!

Narration: The narration is pretty good. Susan Ericksen makes a really good VI Warshawski. She also does the regional Chicago accent for most of the characters, which I also appreciated. Her male voices were believable. I also liked the light Austrian accent for Lottie. My one little criticism is that Vick and her cop connections often do a lot of yelling and so I had to sometimes turn down the volume because the narrator was yelling right along with them. ( )
  DabOfDarkness | Jan 20, 2017 |
Parestsky has a new book out and it made me want to read the first one again.

Ridiculously fun the second time around. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |

Paretsky, Saraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Andrae, StaffanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dorresteyn, LuudTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Franke, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Münch, UtaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Puig, MireiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saarinen, OsmoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Stuart Kaminsky. Thanks.
The night air was thick and damp.

Meeting an anonymous client late on a sizzling  summer night is asking for trouble. But trouble is  Chicago private eye V.I. Warshwski's specialty.  Her client says he's the prominent banker, John  Thayer. Turns out he's not. He says his son's  girlfriend, Anita Hill, is missing. Turns out that's  not her real name. V.I.'s search turns up someone  soon enough -- the real John Thayer's son, and  he's dead. Who's V.I.'s client? Why has she been  set up and sent out on a wild-goose chase? By the  time she's got it figured, things are hotter --  and deadlier -- than Chicago in July. V.I.'s in a  desperate race against time. At stake: a young  woman's life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:57 -0400)

"Meeting an anonymous client late on a sizzling summer night is asking for trouble. But trouble is Chicago private eye V.I. Warshawski's specialty. Her client says he's the prominent banker, John Thayer. Turns out he's not. He says his son's girlfriend, Anita Hill, is missing. Turns out that's not her real name. V.I.'s search turns up someone soon enough-the real John Thayer's son, and he's dead. Who's V.I.'s client? Why has she been set up and sent out on a wild-goose chase? By the time she's got it figured, things are hotter-and deadlier-than Chicago in July. V.I.'s in a desperate race against time. At stake: a young woman's life."--P.[4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,739,402 books! | Top bar: Always visible