The Book of Fires by Jane Borodale

The Book of Fires

by Jane Borodale

A vivid depiction of an impoverished, unwed mother in 18th-century England who leaves the countryside for a chance at a different life in London. As an apprentice to the cold and mysterious fireworks maker Mr. Blacklock, Agnes finds purpose and hope in the science and art of pyrotechnics. A unique and haunting story of an historic, working class London and women forced to make difficult choices to survive. ( )
  GennaC | May 9, 2017 |
This book had some potential, and I found the parts about the firework-makers and the innovations in pyrotechnics during the 17th century the most interesting. However, what is it with this trend to write books, historical fiction in particular, in the present tense? It really doesn't work for me. Ok as a library read. ( )
  SabinaE | Jan 23, 2016 |
The Book of Fires takes us back to 18th century England. We are introduced to Agnes Trussel who is a 17-year-old living a simple country life. Agnes is raped and then finds herself pregnant. She runs away because she knows she will be forced to marry her rapist and she doesn’t want to shame her family. Agnes travels to London and is introduced to elements of it’s darker side. She is fortunate to find a respectable job making fireworks for Mr. Blacklock. What will happen once he finds out about her pregnancy? Will she wind up out on the streets and become a victim of London’s dark side? In a strange twist of fate her boss dies and a secret that will change her life is revealed. A fascinating book with a strong intelligent woman character and a happy ending.

I thought that this was well written and easy to follow. I liked the character Agnes. She is such an innocent, naive, victim of circumstances. While this book is not a major page turner, it has a really good story line. The ending is the best part of the book. It allows the reader to conclude why Mr. Blacklock did what he did. I give this book a 4 out of 5 stars. ( )
  Pattymclpn | Mar 25, 2015 |
I Loved This book. It was as n easy and quick read . ( )
  lululovebaby | Jan 21, 2015 |
Beautifully written, with an intriguing and flawed main female character.

If I have any problems with it it's that the main character does very little after she runs away from home - she 'sleepwalks' and even acknowledges this herself. When she finally starts to take action, it's too late, and she's already been saved without her knowledge.

Still, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this, and would happily pick up books by the same author again. ( )
  Violetthedwarf | Oct 23, 2014 |
With thought spared for all those condemned to death by hanging at Tyburn
For Sean, Orlando and Louis
There is a regular rasp of a blade on a stone as he sharpens the knives.

The year is 1752, and 17-year-old Agnes Trussel arrives in London pregnant with an unwanted child. Lost and frightened, she lands work as an apprentice to a fireworks maker. As she learns the trade, she joins in his quest to make the most spectacular fireworks the world has ever seen.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jane Borodale's book The Book of Fires was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,373,713 books! | Top bar: Always visible