Children of the Sea, Volume 2 by Daisuke…

Children of the Sea, Volume 2 (edition 2009)

by Daisuke Igarashi

Member:PhoenixTerran
Title:Children of the Sea, Volume 2
Authors:Daisuke Igarashi
Info:San Francisco, Calif. : Viz, 2009.
Tags:1001 Comics, Graphic Literature, Manga, Fiction, Children of the Sea, Award Winner/Nominee, Manga Moveable Feast, Speculative Fiction, Legend/Mythology

Children of the Sea, Volume 2 by Daisuke Igarashi

Wow! I'm still loving this series- the art work is so amazing! ( )
  GirlsonFire | Mar 23, 2013 |
Sort of like where "Lost" meets "The X-Files", set in the ocean. All buildup and mystery, wrapped in mysticism, but no real answers. I have a feeling the end of this series might be somewhat of a letdown. ( )
  timothyl33 | Jun 5, 2011 |
The story and mystery continues… This is a really fascinating and intriguing story. The art is amazing and beautiful. I can’t wait to read more. ( )
  earthlistener | Aug 6, 2010 |
This incredibly unique story picks up where Vol. 1 left off and after reading the book I'm still left without any evidence on whether to call it fantasy or science fiction at this point. The fish continue to disappear but that aspect of the story fades to the background as this volume both takes a closer look at certain characters and propels Umi and Sora's plot forward. We are taken into the past and shown Jim's backstory which explains why he is the boys' guardian. A new character, Anglade, appears on the scene who promises answers to Sora. Sora's disappearance leaves Umi depressed and physically ill and Ruka helps him on his search to find Sora.

A few exciting reveals are given in this volume adding more mystery to the nature of the boys' existence. The shocking ending is unexpected and will make for a major change in plot for the next volume, if all is as it seems to be. I love the science presented in this manga, the information on marine life and specific to this volume the tsunami's natural place in the ecosystem. I really enjoy the artwork, a lot of attention is paid to the background scenery in many frames and the characters are nicely drawn. One thing that did irritate me though was the new character Anglade. So far in this book, the men have been drawn to look like men, something I appreciated and had come to expect from the series. But along comes Anglade who is obviously an attractive female and referred to by name only at first then all of a sudden Anglade is referred to as he and him all the time.

Otherwise, I'm finding this series incredibly intriguing and unique. The science setting of the aquarium, the involvement of marine biologists keep the possible science fiction angle open while the fantastical events are happening all around them. At over 300 pages these volumes include a lot of characterization and I've grown attachments to certain characters and found a few I'm not fond of as well. After the system jarring ending I'm really looking forward to the next volume due out this summer (2010).

Re-read Aug/2013: My original review is very detailed on my impressions of this volume and I won't repeat them. I rated it a (4.5/5) For this re-read I am again just astounded with Igarashi's stunning art. His representation of marine life is captivating. The story becomes very mystical at this point. The boys themselves and Jim refer to them as not human, something I think I missed in the first read and this is an important plot-point. Also much is made of Ruka's similarities with Umi and Sora. I still don't like the way Anglade is drawn. I really hate it when they draw a beautiful girl with long flowing hair, gorgeous big eyes with long upturned eyelashes and then eventually tell you it's a him. Gag! The story is becoming very mystical with connections between both myths and science at this point and the ending is shocking and tragic. I'm willing to change my rating to a full 5/5 at this point. Anglade's looks don't affect the story, just my sensibilities LOL. ( )
  ElizaJane | Mar 3, 2010 |

Daisuke Igarashiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
JN ProductionsTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 142152919X, Paperback)

The sea has a story to tell you, one you’ve never heard before… R to L (Japanese Style). Umi and Sora are not alone in their strange connection to the sea. Forty years ago, Jim met another young boy with the same powers. As penance for letting the boy die, Jim has been searching the world for other children with those same ties to the ocean. Anglade, a wunderkind who was once Jim's research partner, lures Sora away with the promise of answers. This leaves Umi severely depressed, and it is up to Ruka to help her new friend find his brother. But time is quickly running out... When Ruka was younger, she saw a ghost in the water at the aquarium where her dad works. Now she feels drawn toward the aquarium and the two mysterious boys she meets there, Umi and Sora. They were raised by dugongs and hear the same strange calls from the sea that she does.Ruka’s dad and the other adults who work at the aquarium are only distantly aware of what the children are experiencing as they get caught up in the mystery of the worldwide disappearance of the ocean’s fish.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:41 -0400)

"Umi and Sora are not alone in their strange connection to the sea. Forty years ago, Jim met another young boy with the same powers. As penance for letting the boy die, Jim has been searching the world for other children with those same ties to the ocean. Anglade, a wunderkind who was once Jim's research partner, lures Sora away with the promise of answers. This leaves Umi severely depressed, and it is up to Ruka to help her new friend find his brother. But time is quickly running out... "--Publisher's description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,471,044 books! | Top bar: Always visible