Beast Master, Volume 1 by Kyousuke Motomi

Beast Master, Volume 1 (edition 2009)

by Kyousuke Motomi

Member:Kismet
Title:Beast Master, Volume 1
Authors:Kyousuke Motomi
Info:VIZ Media LLC (2009), Paperback, 192 pages
Collections:Your library, Manga, On Order
Tags:manga, viz, ***, on order

Beast Master, Vol. 1 by Kyousuke Motomi

I will admit that there was something about this manga that makes me feel like it might just become my guilty pleasure manga for a while...

But objectively, I felt like everything in the story was sort of flat/cliche in a fruits basket meets George of the Jungle sort of way. Found myself thinking "seriously?" a lot while reading. But it isn't the worst/most contrived shojo manga I have ever read, I reserve that title for the short-story the author decided to include at the end (even she releases it was laughably over done). ( )
  KingdomOfOdd | Dec 9, 2013 |
A cute two volume series.
  VictoriaBeard | Sep 20, 2013 |
Very sweet and cute and funny.
  Splooshzoom | Oct 20, 2010 |
There's a certain lack of drama in this series because even though Leo is supposed to be a Wild Beast, capable of tearing other people to pieces, it's hard to see him as a threat. He just looks so darn cuddly most of the time. Thus, when Yuiko steps into "dangerous" situations to pull Leo back from his animalistic stupor, it's hard to really feel the moment because you know he'd never hurt her. (It's like Edward and Bella in theTwilight novels...you know the vampire will never bite Bella, no matter how tempting she supposedly is.) But I like Leo, even if he isn't dangerous. His naivete is just so cute.

There's a lot of humor in these pages; the series is definitely funny. I'm just never convinced that, as the tag line claims "taming a beast was never *this* dangerous!"

There's a short story at the end of the book called "Fly" that is very typical shojo, and very forgettable. Even the author admits in her commentary that it isn't very good or creative.

Hmm, seems this series is only 2 volumes long. Pretty short. ( )
  makaiju | Sep 26, 2010 |

Seventeen-year-old Yuiko isn't interested in boys because she's too consumed with animals. However, because of her smothering nature, all animals hate her until one animal, a wild boy, becomes her friend.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,669,703 books! | Top bar: Always visible