dismiss

Boneshaker

by Cherie Priest

Series: The Clockwork Century (1)

3,2091972,849 (3.59)393
Inventor Leviticus Blue creates a machine that accidentally decimates Seattle's banking district and uncovers a vein of Blight Gas that turns everyone who breathes it into the living dead. Sixteen years later Briar, Blue's widow, lives in the poor neighborhood outside the wall that's been built around the uninhabitable city. Life is tough with a ruined reputation, but she and her teenage son Ezekiel are surviving--until Zeke impetuously decides that he must reclaim his father's name from the clutches of history.… (more)
    Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld (ahstrick)
    Dreadnought by Cherie Priest (iamiam)
    iamiam: "Boneshaker" precedes "Dreadnought" in the series by this author, plus their time-lines follow this order, but neither is dependent upon the other for comprehension of story.
    Airborn by Kenneth Oppel (jseger9000)
    Clementine by Cherie Priest (7hir7een)
    7hir7een: If you liked the character of Croggon Hainey, and the atmosphere of Priest's alternate history, you'll like this read. It's short, but if you can find it, it's worth it! Be aware, the print books are hard to find, so check out other formats.
    The Affinity Bridge by George Mann (lorax)
    lorax: Steampunk with zombies.
    The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan (ahstrick, andreablythe)
    Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi (clif_hiker)
    Changeless by Gail Carriger (GirlMisanthrope)
    The Inexplicables by Cherie Priest (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A very creepy Seattle is home to may people . . . and things.
    Karen Memory by Elizabeth Bear (reconditereader)
    reconditereader: Similar setting, similar level of butt-kicking awesomeness.
    Odd Men Out by Matt Betts (yarmando)
    yarmando: Steampunk + zombies
    Dread Nation by Justina Ireland (g33kgrrl)
    g33kgrrl: Alternate history zombies.
    The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi (sturlington)
    sturlington: Steampunk
    Pandemonium by Daryl Gregory (sturlington)
    sturlington: Alternate history in which monsters are real--demons in one case, zombies in the other.
    Lightborn by Tricia Sullivan (AlanPoulter)
    AlanPoulter: Both are rattling adventure yarns but with a common flaw of poorly developed 'worlds'
    The Family Trade by Charles Stross (AlanPoulter)
    AlanPoulter: Both are first series novels, set in alternate America's, with conflicts involving mixes of old/new technologies.
    The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Volume 1 by Alan Moore (kraaivrouw)
    Hollowland by Amanda Hocking (clif_hiker)
    clif_hiker: YA zombie stories...
    Dead Reckoning by Mercedes Lackey (SunnySD)

English (194)  Polish (1)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (197)
I knew this was a book that had been nominated for a hugo a few years back and it was on my higher to-read list for longer than I want to admit, but I had kept putting it off because steampunk was a genre I hadn't made much of an effort to read. Sure, I read Difference Engine back in the mid-nineties and was thrilled by it, and then I watched a few animes that kicked my buttocks. There were even a few very forgettable tv series and movies that drew in the whole sci-fi era and made me wonder if it was really worth getting into.

On the other hand, I did play some rpgs in both electronic and live-action that were really fun, so I appreciated the whole concept a lot more than I was willing to dive into the fiction.

That being said, I jumped in. At last.

I was happy and enjoying the brief setup, and then the story began. I have nothing specifically *bad* to say about the main characters, but I was always much more interested in the big bads than the protags. I enjoyed the settings much more than I enjoyed the characters, with the exception of Lucy and the Princess and that hulk of a man with the sonic booms blasting the zombies about the place. All of the concepts were a treat. The side characters were all quite great and fleshed out. It's a shame that I rooted for them more than our mother and son dynamic.

Other than that, I suppose I wanted a better payoff for the end of the novel. There was a lot of buildup and hints of this and that, but instead of a big finale, a great conclusion; I was rather disappointed with the rather fizzly nature.

Ok guys, It's fine if you raid my mansion, it's mine and I don't care, so steal from me.

Huh? ooohhhkaaaaaaay.

We've got the boneshaker here. I was half-expecting someone to start that monster up again and do something really explosive with the city, like bury all of the zombies well and good, perhaps sacrificing his or her own life to wrap up the sins of the husband/father. Instead... I don't know... it fell flat at the end and I wanted so much more.

Otherwise, I thought it was great and I hold it by a higher standard. It was good enough to be great. ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
So, this steampunk zombie book was a rollicking adventure and I enjoyed every minute of it. I kinda went in to it blind. I knew that it was a popular steampunk book and since I was wanting to read more steampunk, I just bought it. Imagine my surprise when zombies showed up in the story! But that's OK because it was a great story. I liked the alternative history. I loved Briar Wilkes. I thought she was a very strong woman and I'd like to see more of her story and what happened to her after this book. I'll definitely be picking up the rest of the series. ( )
  melrailey | Apr 7, 2020 |
If I could give half stars this would definitely get a 4.5 from me. After struggling and abandoning a couple of other well-regarded books recently I was quite happy with this story: action, interesting setting, appealing characters, snappy dialog. I'll read more Cherie Priest and soon, I'm sure. ( )
  Nikchick | Mar 21, 2020 |
  Nikchick | Mar 21, 2020 |
Good steampunk story. Fun read. Got a little draggy in the middle. Worth reading nonetheless. ( )
  Skybalon | Mar 19, 2020 |
Overall, Priest has created a terrific story that will please endless science fiction fans in search of a thrill.
added by sdobie | editSF Site, Katherine Petersen (Jan 15, 2010)

Priest’s latest, very simply rocks: It’s not only the steampunk adventure you’ve been waiting for, it’s the steampunk adventure you can give to friends of yours who wonder what the hell’s up with all those Victorian overcoats and goggles.
added by lampbane | editWhatever, John Scalzi (Oct 13, 2009)

It's full of buckle and has swash to spare, and the characters are likable and the prose is fun. This is a hoot from start to finish, pure mad adventure.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Sep 29, 2009)

Cherie Priestprimary authorall editionscalculated
Foster, JonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheaton, WilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In this age of invention the science of arms has made great progress. In fact, the most remarkable inventions have been made since the prolonged wars of Europe in the early part of the century, and the short Italian campaign of France in 1859 served to illustrate how great a power the engines of destruction can exert.

-- Thomas P. Kettell, History of the Great Rebellion. From its commencement its close, giving an account of its origin, The Secession of the Southern States, and the Formation of the Confederate Government, the concentration of the Military and Financial resources of the federal government, the development of its vast power, the raising, organizing, and equipping of the contending armies and navies; lucid, vivid, and accurate descriptions of battles and bombardments, sieges and surrender of forts, captured batteries, etc., etc.; the immense financial resources and comprehensive measures of the government, the enthusiasm and patriotic contributions of the people, together with sketches of the lives of all the eminent statesmen and military and naval commanders, with a full and complete index. From Official Sources (1862)
This one's for Team Seattle --
Mark Henry, Caitlin Kittredge,
Richelle Mead, and Kat Richardson--
for they are the heart and soul of this place.
Unpaved, uneven trails pretended to be roads; they tied the nation's coasts together like laces holding a boot, binding it with crossed strings and crossed fingers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,600,929 books! | Top bar: Always visible