Boneshaker (Sci Fi Essential Books) by…

Boneshaker (Sci Fi Essential Books) (edition 2009)

by Cherie Priest

Member:donalbane26
Title:Boneshaker (Sci Fi Essential Books)
Authors:Cherie Priest
Info:Tor Books (2009), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 416 pages
Collections:Your library, Read
Tags:e-book, alt-history, Goodreads_20140630Import, Goodreads_20140630import

Boneshaker by Cherie Priest

Recently added byprivate library, ssimon2000, Deedledee, Oakfairy
19th century (14) 2010 (29) adventure (21) airships (29) alternate history (161) clockwork century (24) ebook (56) fantasy (152) fiction (256) historical fiction (18) horror (24) Kindle (31) novel (31) pirates (17) read (30) read in 2010 (18) read in 2011 (15) science fiction (304) Seattle (109) sf (43) sff (23) signed (17) speculative fiction (26) steampunk (549) to-read (115) unread (17) wishlist (15) YA (19) young adult (14) zombies (219)
    Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld (ahstrick)
    Dreadnought by Cherie Priest (iamiam)
    iamiam: "Boneshaker" precedes "Dreadnought" in the series by this author, plus their time-lines follow this order, but neither is dependent upon the other for comprehension of story.
    Clementine by Cherie Priest (7hir7een)
    7hir7een: If you liked the character of Croggon Hainey, and the atmosphere of Priest's alternate history, you'll like this read. It's short, but if you can find it, it's worth it! Be aware, the print books are hard to find, so check out other formats.
    Airborn by Kenneth Oppel (jseger9000)
    The Affinity Bridge by George Mann (lorax)
    lorax: Steampunk with zombies.
    Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi (clif_hiker)
    Changeless by Gail Carriger (GirlMisanthrope)
    The Inexplicables by Cherie Priest (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A very creepy Seattle is home to may people . . . and things.
    The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan (ahstrick, andreablythe)
    The Family Trade by Charles Stross (AlanPoulter)
    AlanPoulter: Both are first series novels, set in alternate America's, with conflicts involving mixes of old/new technologies.
    Lightborn: Seeing is Believing... by Tricia Sullivan (AlanPoulter)
    AlanPoulter: Both are rattling adventure yarns but with a common flaw of poorly developed 'worlds'
    The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Volume 1 by Alan Moore (kraaivrouw)
    Hollowland by Amanda Hocking (clif_hiker)
    clif_hiker: YA zombie stories...
    Dead Reckoning by Mercedes Lackey (SunnySD)

English (153)  Polish (1)  French (1)  All languages (155)
Very fun read. I really enjoyed it. I was a bit sad when I finished. Would've liked to keep reading. At least there are some more books in the series to look forward to. ( )
  sffstorm | Jun 9, 2014 |
this to me is more of a 3.5 than a 4. i hard time beleiving the premise of the book but as it is am running on empty having just arrived from maryland...will review later ( )
  seaofsorrow | May 20, 2014 |
I picked up this novel through a Humble Bundle, I think, but I chose to read it because of reviews I read here, Beth Cato's in particular. Steampunk and zombies -- how do you say no to that? I think Ms. Priest did a fantastic job of balancing the two things and mingling them together into an engaging story. I especially liked that all the characters were strong, detailed individuals who were, when it came right down to it, capable of taking care of themselves. There are no damsels in distress in Boneshaker :) ( )
  RhondaParrish | May 9, 2014 |
Get ready for the steam-punk zombie apocalypse

It's been sixteen years since an experiment gone awry turned Klondike-era Seattle into a walled prison for zombies and degenerates, while the survivors huddle together on the outskirts, clinging to a hard-scrabble existence. But when Zeke Wilkes, son of the man responsible for it all, comes of age, he cannot accept the story of his father's crimes. So when Zeke runs away to the zombie zone in search of the truth, his mother Briar risks everything to go in after him, but neither one of them is prepared for the truths that await them inside.

On the surface, this appears to be a delicious genre-blending adventure - steam punk with zombies - but while it delivers on the mash up, I found it weak on the engagement, and by the half way point, when all hell seems to be breaking loose for our heroes, I found myself still indifferent to their plight. I just didn't care about Zeke or his mother. One struck me as a whiny teen with too much entitlement and not too little agency for me to look past his shortcomings, while the other was mired so deeply in her own self-recriminations that I found myself agreeing with her. It is all her fault. In the end I got bored enough to put the book down, and I haven't had the urge to go back to finish it, so I won't.

The prose is competent but lacks subtlety or elegance. So if zombies do it for you, or annoying protagonists are your thing, then this might just be your ticket. But it isn't mine. ( )
  Jefficus | Apr 25, 2014 |
I was surprised by how quickly this book flew past me, I was completely entranced the entire time. I was surprised at how long it took to find out what happened to Leviticus Blue, but damn, I was not expecting that. ( )
  AprilAnn0814 | Apr 15, 2014 |
Overall, Priest has created a terrific story that will please endless science fiction fans in search of a thrill.
added by sdobie | editSF Site, Katherine Petersen (Jan 15, 2010)

Priest’s latest, very simply rocks: It’s not only the steampunk adventure you’ve been waiting for, it’s the steampunk adventure you can give to friends of yours who wonder what the hell’s up with all those Victorian overcoats and goggles.
added by lampbane | editWhatever, John Scalzi (Oct 13, 2009)

It's full of buckle and has swash to spare, and the characters are likable and the prose is fun. This is a hoot from start to finish, pure mad adventure.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Sep 29, 2009)

Cherie Priestprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Foster, JonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheaton, WilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In this age of invention the science of arms has made great progress. In fact, the most remarkable inventions have been made since the prolonged wars of Europe in the early part of the century, and the short Italian campaign of France in 1859 served to illustrate how great a power the engines of destruction can exert.

-- Thomas P. Kettell, History of the Great Rebellion. From its commencement its close, giving an account of its origin, The Secession of the Southern States, and the Formation of the Confederate Government, the concentration of the Military and Financial resources of the federal government, the development of its vast power, the raising, organizing, and equipping of the contending armies and navies; lucid, vivid, and accurate descriptions of battles and bombardments, sieges and surrender of forts, captured batteries, etc., etc.; the immense financial resources and comprehensive measures of the government, the enthusiasm and patriotic contributions of the people, together with sketches of the lives of all the eminent statesmen and military and naval commanders, with a full and complete index. From Official Sources (1862)
This one's for Team Seattle --
Mark Henry, Caitlin Kittredge,
Richelle Mead, and Kat Richardson--
for they are the heart and soul of this place.
Unpaved, uneven trails pretended to be roads; they tied the nation's coasts together like laces holding a boot, binding it with crossed strings and crossed fingers.

(from the back of the book) In the early days of the Civil War, rumors of gold in the frozen Klondike brought hordes of newcomers to the Pacific Northwest. Anxious to compete, Russian prospectors commissioned inventor Leviticus Blue to create a great machine that could mine through Alaska's ice. Thus was Dr. Blue's Incredible Bone-Shaking Drill Engine born. But on its first test run the Boneshaker went terribly awry, destroying several blocks of downtown Seattle and unearthing a subterranen vein of blight gas that turned anyone who breathed it into the living dead. Now it is sixteen years later, and a wall has been built to enclose the devastated and toxic city. Just beyond it lives Blue's widow, Briar Wilkes. Life is hard with a ruined reputation and a teenage boy to support, but she and Ezekiel are managing. Until Ezekiel undertakes a secret crusade to rewrite history. His quest will take him under the wall and into a city teeming with ravenous undead, air pirates, criminal overlords, and heavily armed refugees. And only Briar can bring him out alive.

Inventor Leviticus Blue creates a machine that accidentally decimates Seattle's banking district and uncovers a vein of Blight Gas that turns everyone who breathes it into the living dead. Sixteen years later Briar, Blue's widow, lives in the poor neighborhood outside the wall that's been built around the uninhabitable city. Life is tough with a ruined reputation, but she and her teenage son Ezekiel are surviving--until Zeke impetuously decides that he must reclaim his father's name from the clutches of history.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,538,319 books! | Top bar: Always visible