Lake News by Barbara Delinsky

Lake News (edition 2011)

by Barbara Delinsky (Author)

Member:cat02886
Title:Lake News
Authors:Barbara Delinsky (Author)
Info:Pocket Books (2011), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 544 pages
Tags:Read

Lake News by Barbara Delinsky

rabck from Bumma's book distribution; good story, although you knew what that there was going to be a happy ending. Lily, a caberet singer in Boston, was targeted in incorrect allegations in the press. Her Catholic Cardinal friend was issued a public apology by the press days later, but she had to leave town to escape the media and settled back in her old hometown of Lake Henry. The local newspaperman, John, used to work with the reporter who started the slander, and wants to uncover why he did it, the unethical workings and bring him down. In the background are strained family relationships for both John and Lily. The mystery of why kept me guessing until almost the very end. And you knew that Lily and John would sort of mend their fences with their families and wind up together. ( )
  nancynova | Feb 28, 2015 |
I've had this book on my reading pile for awhile and I kept setting it aside. For some reason, as the majority of my reading is at night before bedtime, I generally tend to shy away from hard cover and trade paperbacks due to the size and weight. But since it was vacation time, I decided to take this one with me and what a delightful reading surprise. This book is absolutely beautifully written - the vocabulary an artistic display and the story current beyond expectation.

The biggest surprise was in Chapter 18, when John is in the newsroom office..."Satisfied that Lily was being protected, he returned to the office with the small bits of news he collected and added them to the file for the next week's paper. He worked for a while on the cover story, which was the accidental shooting of a three-year-old child in Ashcroft the day before and, legislatively, the use and abuse of guns." I read these words and instantly flipped again to the copyright page and could hardly believe my eyes to view (c)1999 and to know that in 2013 - 14 years later we continue to see these headlines and the conversations continue without any end of violence in sight. How utterly sad.

Please understand that the storyline is not based on those few sentences. But for me, it heightened the storyline and the author's clarity in writing such a timeless story - that can be appreciated by all readers regardless of age, sex, socioeconomic background, etc. I wish with all my heart that this would be a mandatory read for every journalism major on a global venue. Thank goodness for vacations when we take the time to read outside of our normal comfort zones. There are unexpected treasures everywhere if you take the time to open the covers. ( )
  Corduroy7 | Aug 6, 2014 |
A great story & a well written book that was hard to put down.
I was sad to read 'the end'! ( )
  AliciaHope | Jun 30, 2014 |
Good book to read at the cabin, while spending a week there. Good easy read. Better than most romance novels, in that there was a bit of mystery and intrigue. It also refers to a controversial topic of honesty in the media and the question of sensationalism. ( )
  camplakejewel | Oct 20, 2013 |
not bad, ended better than real life but then most romance books do. ( )
  donagiles | Dec 16, 2011 |
Nothing so fair, so pure, and at the same time so large, as a lake, perchance, lies on the surface of the earth. Sky water. It needs no fence. Nations come and go without defiling it. It is a mirror which no stone can crack, whose quicksilver will never wear off, whose gilding nature continually repairs; no storms, no dust, can dim its surface ever fresh;--a mirror in which all impurity presented to it sinks, swept and dusted by the sun's hazy brush,--this the light dust-cloth,--which retains no breath that is breathed on it, but sends its own to float as clouds high above its surface, and be reflected in its bosom still.

from Walden, by Henry David Thoreau
Lake Henry, New Hampshire

Like everything else at the lake, dawn arrived in its own good time.

Barbara Delinsky's powerful New York Times bestseller of hope and redemption introduces the unforgettable Blake sisters: strong, spirited Lily, and the resilient Poppy, the heroine of Delinsky's acclaimed novel, An Accidental Woman.
After an unscrupulous reporter falsely accuses Boston lounge singer Lily Blake of having an affair with a newly appointed Cardinal, she's hounded by the press, fired from her job, and robbed of all public freedom. The humiliation and violation of privacy leaves her no choice but to retreat to her rural hometown of Lake Henry, New Hampshire. In search of refuge, Lily forms an uneasy alliance with John Kipling, a former Boston reporter with trust issues of his own. Now editing Lake Henry's local newspaper, John cannot ignore Lily's appeal or her plight -- even at the risk of taking on his former colleagues. Surprising and deeply satisfying, Lake News offers an intimate look at the complex relationship between an enigmatic man and a vulnerable woman, both struggling to find a new sense of community in a place they once called home.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 067103619X, Mass Market Paperback)

Both Lily Blake and John Kipling grew up in Lake Henry, New Hampshire, and both left after high school to pursue their dreams--singing for Lily and writing for John. Now the two have returned separately to seek shelter in the small lakeside town due to the disastrous results of paparazzi fever--Lily as a victim, John as a member of the press responsible for a tragedy.

Falsely accused and hounded by the press, her privacy violated and destroyed, Lily finds refuge in a cottage on the lake, while her sister and the other residents of Lake Henry close ranks, refusing to discuss her with the media hordes that soon come knocking. But Lily can't avoid John, who also lives on the lake and at first sees Lily's story as prime fodder for the novel that can break him into publishing. But soon the vulnerable, besieged woman elicits far different emotions from him, and John becomes fiercely committed to helping Lily find justice.

Layered with complicated family relationships and richly textured with the sights, sounds, and colorful characters of a small town, Barbara Delinsky's Lake News will satisfy longtime fans as well as those anxious to read a timely and thought-provoking tale from one of the genre's top authors. --Lois Faye Dyer

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:17 -0400)

After a false accusation made by a devious reporter ruins her singing career, a woman returns to her hometown and forms an alliance with the editor of the local newspaper, a man with his own grudge against the mainstream media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,091,777 books! | Top bar: Always visible