Domain of the Dead by Iain McKinnon

Domain of the Dead (edition 2009)

by Iain McKinnon, David Moody (Introduction)

Member:DeltaQueen50
Title:Domain of the Dead
Authors:Iain McKinnon
Other authors:David Moody (Introduction)
Info:Permuted Press (2009), Paperback, 216 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fantasy, Horror, Zombies, 13 in 13 Challenge, Category: HP Lovecraft - Horror, AlphaCat: The letter M, RandomCat: A New-To-Me Author, TIOLI #6: Downloaded to E-Reader at Least 6 Months Ago

Domain of the Dead by Iain McKinnon

Sorry... if a woman literally just watched a man get killed, turn into a zombie and nearly succeed in biting her, the very next thought in her head WILL NEVER be how hot the guy next to her is. PERIOD. NEVER. If you think it could be, you're obviously 12. Or related to this author.

Zombie has no bite marks. Zombie has a`"love bite" (aka hickey) on her breast. You have a conversation that the zombie virus is like AIDS and spread by body fluids and is NOT airborn. So the boss concludes: it MUST have mutated and become airborn because he is too stupid to think...hmmm... body fluids... lovebite on breast. wonder if she was having sex with someone?

How the hell else did a lovebite arrive on her breast you numbskull?!

Was this the worst scene? Yeah, probably... but it is also representative. And, sadly, to top it off, the book just stops mid-scene...I don't know if this is part of a series and there is another book where the story is finished, but I assure you, I won't be buying it if there is.

It is poorly written but not particularly gory or violent, for a zombie book. There is some swearing, no sex and no plot to worry about. ( )
  crazybatcow | Jun 13, 2014 |
Very action packed with a cinematic style. The story jumps right off and doesn't stop moving even at the cliffhanger ending. My only criticism would be that so much non-stop action makes it difficult to develop deep characters with clear motivations evident in their actions. The only real actions we see are those confined to what it takes to survive. There are a few brief glimpses of other reasons to continue the fight, but I would have preferred more. Give me a reason to love the characters and cheer for them.

I love zombie books and this is a worthwhile read in the genre. I'd recommend it to anyone who loves the flesh hungry undead. ( )
  ExLibrisVita | Oct 1, 2013 |

ExLibrisVita | Oct 1, 2013 |
Ok, it’s no secret that I have a thing for zombie books, and Domain of the Dead by Iain McKinnon gets high marks for being a real page-turner. This book had an interesting setup, an exciting story line, and characters that I could root for. So what’s the problem? The way the book ended was a big one for me, reading more like the end of a chapter than the end of a book.

This is the story of a small group of survivors some 8 years after the zombie apocalypse. These people managed to hold up in a food warehouse and keep the walking dead at bay, but now the food is running out and more and more zombies are showing up outside the warehouse every day. One morning, Sarah, gets up and decides this will be the day she will end her life. She goes up on the roof but before she can jump she hears and then sees a helicopter.

Rescued by a military group and ferried out to a huge ship, things are starting to look much brighter for the survivors, but wait a moment, this is a research ship and what are they researching? You guessed it, zombies. When things go wrong, and you know they were going to, the close confines of a ship is probably not where you want to be.

Did they make it? Well, I really have no idea as the book ended right in the middle of the action so even though I wasn’t happy, I had to immediately buy and load the next book onto my Kindle. I guess this is a brilliant marketing technique, but it sure makes me see red. This book would have been a solid 4 star read, but the ending knocked it back to a 3.5. ( )
1 vote DeltaQueen50 | Jan 10, 2013 |
A great book and a fabulous debut novel. If you're a zombie horror fan then you'll love this, it's gripping, fascinating and different. ( )
  Danielle23 | Dec 31, 1969 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 184426498X, Paperback)

The world is dead, devoured by a plague of rasping corpses. In a decaying city a band of survivors are barricaded inside a warehouse surrounded by a sea of shambling putrefaction. But now the food is almost gone and the occupants are faced with the slow death of starvation or the undead outside. As Sarah stands on the edge of the warehouse roof preparing to step off into oblivion she spots a glimmer of hope. In the distance she spies a helicopter approaching the city. Is this the salvation they had long since given up on?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:49 -0400)

60 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,718,870 books! | Top bar: Always visible