Involuntary Witness by Gianrico Carofiglio

Involuntary Witness (original 2002; edition 2005)

by Gianrico Carofiglio, Patrick Creagh (Translator)

4742021,807 (3.57)32
Member:gaskella
Title:Involuntary Witness
Authors:Gianrico Carofiglio
Other authors:Patrick Creagh (Translator)
Info:Bitter Lemon Press (2005), Paperback, 340 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:Fiction, TBR

Involuntary Witness by Gianrico Carofiglio (2002)

Recently added bysnowbird1, Gianfranco.Salmeri, feehanm, private library, dimajazz, Davidl32, Gendy, akagracie, lulaa

English (14)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (20)
Buon libro, di lettura scorrevole e piacevole, un po' debole a mio avviso nei dialoghi che risultano a volte poco naturali - vabbè, lo so, scrivere buoni dialoghi è difficilissimo - e con qualche luogo comune sparso qua e là. Comunque da leggere (se capita). ( )
  gfonte | Mar 15, 2014 |
troubled lawyer, emerging from breakup, emerging from alcoholic pit, takes up defense of an African immigrant accused of kidnapping and murdering a 9 y/o boy ( )
  DavidO1103 | Jan 18, 2014 |
"Whole worlds pass by us and we don't notice." Guido Guerrieri is an Italian advocate just coming out of a rough patch of depression. His wife has left him and he's just been struggling along until he's assigned the case of an African immigrant accused of killing a young boy. Abdou Thiam, the client, absolutely refuses to settle in spite of overwhelming circumstantial evidence against him. So the case goes to trial. The trial has a surface appearance of fairness, but at its core there is a subtext of racism that reminds us of sham trials of blacks in the U.S. After all, all those "niggers" look the same, as one of the witnesses insists. The trial revolves around the concept of involuntary falsehood., i.e. can a witness not lie, yet tell an untruth. It's a concept that involves memory, false memory, manipulation of memory, and what how much of what we see is merely a confirmation of what we have already decided the truth to be. As the Chinese say, two-thirds of what we see is behind our eyes.
Those who dislike legal dramas heavy on courtroom settings will be disappointed. I love those kinds of scenes so this book really held my interest.

Very interesting legal drama that reveals some of the similarities and differences between the American and Italian legal system. Clearly the pressure to settle and plead out a case is tremendous. The cost of a trial, the "discount" in the sentence available to those who plead, the time required; all conspire to encourage everyone, even the innocent, to "cop" a plea.

I will certainly read/listen to more in the series. Very ably read as always by Sean Barrett. ( )
1 vote ecw0647 | Oct 8, 2013 |
Outstanding legal thriller set in Italy with a memorable and warm protagonist. ( )
  ChrisConway | Jan 6, 2012 |
Intelligent dialogue, neat reflections on life, and strong characterisation. Excellent. ( )
  VictorTrevor | Jan 3, 2012 |

Gianrico Carofiglioprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gerritsen, RobTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jansen, JanineCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I well remember the day -- or rather the afternoon -- before it all began.
What the caterpillar thinks is the end of the world, the rest of the world calls a butterfly (Lao-Tzu)

A Senegalese immigrant in southern Italy is accused of murdering a nine-year-old child. A lost cause taken on by a seemingly hopeless counsel for the defence.

29 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,666,058 books! | Top bar: Always visible