The City Man by Howard Akler

The City Man (2005)

by Howard Akler

182561,019 (4)None

I actually read this book a few years ago, and now that I'm on LT, I want to say something about it:

I can't get it out of my head. I think about pickpocketers even today. Every time I go to Union Station, I think to the past, to the characters, as if they were real. And I guess they were. ( )
  JohnOakville | Feb 21, 2015 |
A really fast read, partly because it was short but mostly because it was fascinating. I had a hard time putting it down. Full review: http://www.canadianauthors.net/a/akler_howard/city_man_the.php ( )
  ripleyy | Aug 12, 2010 |
for Susan Kernohan
Each minute this morning hangs perilously, like long cigarette ash.

March 6, 1934. Hundreds gather outside City Hall to celebrate the Toronto Centenary. In the crowd, pickpocket Mona Kantor and her partner, Chesler, are 'in the tip,' finding easy pickings among the jostling masses. Eli Morenz, city man for the Daily Star, is covering the festivities and uncovering the pickpocket racket working the scene. A surreptitious photo and some keen research lead him to an underworld dive in Kensington Market, where Toronto's pickpockets converge, and to Mona. Moving from a tense newsroom on King Street to the frenetic grift at Union Station, The City Man is a romance that begins in an instant and careens towards peril. Akler's prose is as deft as a thief's fingers, as precise and powerful as a heavyweight's punch. Packed with enchanting, arcane period slang and comparable in its evocation of a lost Toronto to Michael Ondaatje's In the Skin of a Lion, this is a novel of exceptional grace, excitement and beauty.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,367,753 books! | Top bar: Always visible