Nights of Rain and Stars by Maeve Binchy

Nights of Rain and Stars (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Maeve Binchy

Member:birdsam0610
Title:Nights of Rain and Stars
Authors:Maeve Binchy
Info:Orion (2005), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:****1/2

Nights of Rain and Stars by Maeve Binchy (2004)

English (42)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (45)
This book was... ok. I love the idea of the story, & I believe Binchy did an excellent job making it seem completely plausible, but there were quite a few sections that just seemed to drag on forever because nothing was really happening. If it were a chapter or two, I could live with that, but there was so much action in the beginning, and then the story just flat lined for large sections at a time. It hung on by a thread and you could see a faint beat pop up here and there where there was a fight or something, but, for the most part, it died out after the initial few chapters.Additionally, the language was quite simple, but I did appreciate the additions of Greek, Gaelic, and what ever other languages were thrown in there word by word, or phrase by phrase. Overall, I'd say this was a step above a "Peanut Butter & Jelly" book, as my mother would call it. Cute story, but a tad mindless. ( )
  cebellol | Jul 22, 2014 |
Loved the setting for this - small Greek Island. 4 tourists at small eatery perched atop high point see harbor accident where several are lost at sea - a profoundly affecting experience. Their lives become closely entwined with one another and with the island inhabitants. Lovely, engaging story.
  Jonlyn | Apr 16, 2014 |
It is a Maeve Binchy book - so it was enjoyable like all her other ones, even though this one is set in Greece. ( )
  yukon92 | Apr 1, 2014 |
In Nights of Rain and Stars, by Maeve Binchy, we meet four disparate travelers, all spending time in the tiny village of Aghia Anna in Greece: Fiona from Dublin is traveling with her boyfriend Shane, of whom her family disapproves; German Elsa has fled her high-profile life as a television presenter and her even higher-profile lover Dieter; Englishman David is trying to escape his father's demands that he enter into the family business when he really wants to study pottery and play music; and American Tom is on sabbatical, simultaneously trying to give his young son space to bond with his mother's new husband and desperate to maintain his own bonds with his son. The four of them meet in a taverna run by Andreas, where they all watch in horror as a tragedy unfolds in the harbour below, and from that dreadful beginning, new bonds are forged.... This is vintage Binchy, gentle without shying away from horrific events and behaviours, and complete with the sometimes gentle, sometimes acerbic older woman (in this case, Vonni, an Irish woman who has lived in the Greek village for decades) who dispenses wisdom and life lessons at the drop of a hat. As ever, I enjoyed these characters and their stories, although I felt less engaged with them than I have with some of the author's other works; in any event, a gentle and moving book to read in the quiet days of early Fall! ( )
  thefirstalicat | Oct 7, 2013 |
A good storyline and ALMOST the ending to the story that I was hoping it would be. But I didn't want this one to end - I wanted to know more about the characters and what happens afterward. I guess that is the sign of a good book. ( )
  ABShepherd | May 15, 2013 |

In a tiny Greek village, tourists enter a hilltop tavern, alone and in pairs, for a casual lunch. But a sudden tragedy in the harbor below causes these perfect strangers to become unlikely friends as their lives begin to entwine.

Fiona left her nursing career in Ireland to be with the man everyone thinks is wrong for her. Elsa fled Germany and her high-powered television job once she learned what the man she loved was hiding from her. Thomas mourns his failed marriage and misses his young son in California, while David yearns to reconcile with his family in England without having to go into the family business. Chance has brought them together, and together they will find new ways of looking at the lives they left behind.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:33 -0400)

In a small Greek island village, a group of travelers from around the world and the local residents they encounter are brought together in unexpected ways when sudden tragedy strikes.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,804,074 books! | Top bar: Always visible