Nights of Rain and Stars by Maeve Binchy

Nights of Rain and Stars (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Maeve Binchy

1,719504,112 (3.32)40
Member:birdsam0610
Title:Nights of Rain and Stars
Authors:Maeve Binchy
Info:Orion (2005), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:****1/2

Nights of Rain and Stars by Maeve Binchy (2004)

English (46)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (50)
I enjoyed this. I couldn't really tell you why. There wasn't suspense which I usually buy, but things do happen. It's an easy book. A homely book. I missed the characters once I'd finished. ( )
  MrLloydSpandex | Apr 8, 2016 |
A moving book, character-based with gentle plot. Starts with a tragedy in a small Greek village, drawing together some disparate tourists and a few of the locals. Very well written and believable. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
Book on CD performed by Terry Donnelly

Five tourists, all from different countries, come together at a small Greek taverna on a hill overlooking the harbor, where they witness a tourist boat fire that results in several deaths. Drawn together by this tragedy they begin to share their lives with one another and with the kind residents of the village. In particular they meet Vonni, an Irish woman who married a Greek man some decades previously and has made her life on the island, Andreas, who runs the taverna and his brother, Georgie who is the local police chief.

Binchy writes ensemble pieces that reflect the ways in which we get to know one another. Strangers are drawn together by location and circumstance, and find common ground where they least expect it. In this novel we have the American professor Thomas; German TV news reporter Elsa; David, a young man fleeing the family business in England; and Fiona and Shane from Ireland, she a nurse and he a ne’er-do-well hippie. Sharing a meal, a glass of wine, a bus trip to a different village, a walk on the beach, they reveal themselves little by little to one another and to the reader. If the ending is a little too neatly tied up with a pretty bow, who cares. It’s an enjoyable read and by the end I felt as if I were friends with them and wanted to visit this charming island myself.

Terry Donnelly does a fine job performing the audio version. Her pacing is good and she has enough skill as a voice artist to differentiate the characters.

BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |
A Maeve Binchy novel set in Greece.

It was eleven years ago that I first read this book and gave it two stars. Listening to it as an abridged audio book was a more enjoyable experience, partly because I only heard the best bits and partly due to the excellent narration by Kate Binchy, Maeve's cousin. Her accents were excellent, from German to Greek to Irish, which added another dimension to the book.

The story is fairly mundane - a group of five tourists are eating at a Greek restaurant when, before their eyes, a fire breaks out on a passenger vessel out to sea, with the death of all hands. This shocking experience forges a bond between our disparate group of people and they get to know each other well over the succeeding days. The town is small and they keep bumping into each other until they gradually become the best of friends.

Each of them has come to Aghia Anna for various reasons, all running away from something or other. Their friendship helps each of them to see their problems in a different light and to arrive at some sort of solution.
It's a typical Binchy style of novel, heavily based on characters rather than plot.

Also read by Maeve Binchy:
A Week in Winter (3 stars)
Heart and Soul (3.5 stars)
Echoes (1 star)
Circle of Friends (4 stars) ( )
  DubaiReader | Jul 19, 2015 |
This book was... ok. I love the idea of the story, & I believe Binchy did an excellent job making it seem completely plausible, but there were quite a few sections that just seemed to drag on forever because nothing was really happening. If it were a chapter or two, I could live with that, but there was so much action in the beginning, and then the story just flat lined for large sections at a time. It hung on by a thread and you could see a faint beat pop up here and there where there was a fight or something, but, for the most part, it died out after the initial few chapters.Additionally, the language was quite simple, but I did appreciate the additions of Greek, Gaelic, and what ever other languages were thrown in there word by word, or phrase by phrase. Overall, I'd say this was a step above a "Peanut Butter & Jelly" book, as my mother would call it. Cute story, but a tad mindless. ( )
  cebellol | Jul 22, 2014 |
Andreas thought he saw the fire down in the bay before anyone else did. He peered and shook his head in disbelief.

In a tiny Greek village, tourists enter a hilltop tavern, alone and in pairs, for a casual lunch. But a sudden tragedy in the harbor below causes these perfect strangers to become unlikely friends as their lives begin to entwine.

Fiona left her nursing career in Ireland to be with the man everyone thinks is wrong for her. Elsa fled Germany and her high-powered television job once she learned what the man she loved was hiding from her. Thomas mourns his failed marriage and misses his young son in California, while David yearns to reconcile with his family in England without having to go into the family business. Chance has brought them together, and together they will find new ways of looking at the lives they left behind.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:13 -0400)

In a small Greek island village, a group of travelers from around the world and the local residents they encounter are brought together in unexpected ways when sudden tragedy strikes.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 349 books! | Top bar: Always visible