Predators and Prey (Buffy the Vampire Slayer…

Predators and Prey (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Eight, Vol. 5) (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Joss Whedon, Jane Espenson, Steven S. DeKnight, Drew Z. Greenberg, Jim Krueger3 more, Doug Petrie, Georges Jeanty (Illustrator), Cliff Richards (Illustrator)

Member:johnmiah
Title:Predators and Prey (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Eight, Vol. 5)
Authors:Joss Whedon
Other authors:Jane Espenson, Steven S. DeKnight, Drew Z. Greenberg, Jim Krueger, Doug Petrie2 more, Georges Jeanty (Illustrator), Cliff Richards (Illustrator)
Info:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Predators and Prey by Joss Whedon (2009)

Predators and Prey . . . still good, but not as consistently likeable for me as the first four volumes.

I don't like Harmony. I have never found her as funny as the writers apparently do. The reality teevee show thing feels overdone; I just wish they could have found another way to get the anti-Slayer sentiment going. However, the non-Harmony-centric issues were pretty good, especially Safe and titular issue. ( )
  karinnekarinne | Apr 3, 2013 |
Harmony (remember her?) gets her own reality television show. Twilight, the evil organization trying to stop the slayers, creates some seriously creepy vampire cat toys and uses Harmony's show to turn people against slayers and pro-vampire. Buffy and Andrew take on an evil sect of slayers. Giles and Faith are doing their thing, trying to help slayer outcasts. Dawn is now a doll and in the hands of some creepy guy. Volume 5 is like the middle of a season where there might be an episode here and there related to the big bad, but most of them are off the wall crazy things caused by other folks.

First of all, let's talk about Harmony. I never liked her, which I suppose is how you are supposed to feel. However, I would have been totally happy with her not coming back at all, as I am mostly just annoyed by her. If she had to come back, though, this was a good way to do it. She definitely is reality show material. I'm guessing Harmony Bites would air on MTV. No, I would not watch it.

These Twilight plot lines were pretty great, much better than the previous, to me anyway. The evil toys were just funny, in the same way that the giant Stay Puft marshmallow man at the end of Ghostbusters is. The other prong of their attack, making slayers into the bad guys in the eyes of the public, was pretty nifty as well. It definitely plays nicely off of the vampire craze, suggesting that humans are dumb enough to want to become vamps even in the Buffy-verse with the nasty forehead wrinkles and the gruesome shots of Harmony eating folks on television. Yeah, humanity!

The slayers that are out for their own profit and kicked folks off an island so they can live there do not interest me much. What saved this section was definitely Andrew. His speeches about nerdy things, while boring to Buffy and most everyone else in the comic, are almost all delightful to me. Plus, he did the classic Andrew thing where he tries to be helpful, but does so using his talent with demons, which...yeah, oops.

Giles and Faith's section was pretty boring. They didn't really accomplish anything and they don't quite seem to have a dynamic down. I am all for odd pairings, like when Buffy and Andrew went on a car drive and bonded over Daniel Craig as Bond, but Giles and Faith just are not working out.

Dawn's new incarnation is not nearly as awesome as her previous ones. A doll is just not as funny or intense as a giant or a centaur. She also does some more of the "I don't get enough attention from my sister, so I act out" stuff, which I can't stand. This ends (somewhat of a spoiler here) with her turned back to a human. Everyone knew it had to happen eventually. I'm not really sure how to feel about this, since her crazy forms were some of the best parts of this series for me. However, I am sure she can still get into ridiculous antics (and from some of the spoilers my dear friends have mentioned, she will) as a human.

Good volume overall. A couple of the sections dragged, but there were some hilarious moments and most of the plot lines were solid. ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Apr 1, 2013 |
This volume was pretty uneven. I don't really enjoy Harmony and her reality tv show. I did enjoy the Buffy/Andrew and Giles/Faith issues. There wasn't really an overarching theme to this volume. I wish it felt like the Slayer organization had more of a plan instead of just reacting to the big baddies related to Twilight as they pop-up ( )
  alwright1 | Mar 31, 2013 |
This volume is made up of several singular issues, instead of a continued storyline like the last few volumes. The main theme is the paradigm shift caused by the popularity of Harmony's reality show and the adulation of vampires, making Buffy and her crew the "bad guys." Compounding matters are a couple of rogue slayer groups acting as though they are above the law and built to rule the world. It's saddening, and even I found the stuffed vampire cats a little adorable. I've never really liked Harmony, just as I despise the Kardashians, but it's entirely believable that the nation would go crazy over her.
The art and writing are done by several different folks in this volume and I continue to like Jeanty's art the best. His characters are the most recognizable and realistic-looking. Harmony doesn't look a lot different from Buffy in a lot of the panels which can be confusing. I also welcomed the return of the Faith and Giles subplot. Oh, and Dawn's adventure with the thricewise, Kenny, is resolved.
Overall, a decent issue, but not the best. ( )
  EmScape | Jun 21, 2012 |
Volume 5 of BtVS Season Eight continues to be a little too weird, but it was rescued by the excellent final story by Doug Petrie. ( )
  wanack | Feb 19, 2012 |

Moline, KarlIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Owens, AndyIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Richards, CliffIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
“But I want in!”

Explores the complex relationships between fiercely independent Slayers and the dangerous people they keep closest to them.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,358,003 books! | Top bar: Always visible