Giant Bones by Peter S. Beagle

Giant Bones (original 1997; edition 1996)

by Peter S. Beagle

Member:nihawkins
Title:Giant Bones
Authors:Peter S. Beagle
Info:Roc (1996), Edition: 1ST, Hardcover, 205 pages
Tags:fantasy fiction, short fiction

Giant Bones by Peter S. Beagle (1997)

First let me say, despite the cover design & length, this book is written for adults. Most kids 9 up could read it, but I'm not sure how many would have the patience for it. Lovely writing, subtle intrigues, slow plots. A reread would be a good thing, because it's hard to slow down the first time through a book like this.

I mean, it was especially hard for me because these were very long short stories (or short novellas?) and that's a length I don't have much practice with. I couldn't get comfortable and immerse myself in the story before it was over - but it was a full-fledged story with extra characters and complicated plot, not just a device to make an interesting point or share a provocative idea, and I kept wanting each story to be more like that.

But that's my problem, not the author's. For the right reader, one more careful than I or more into fantasy, this is most likely worth 4 or even 5 stars.

I was struck by the humorous bits, for example:

A local lord is described, A decent man... - killed people only when he thought it really necessary, and never tortured them, didn't believe in it. Hard to imagine what more you can ask from the nobility."

"Some say he invented a new curse... with every step, but that is not true. He was already running short on the fourth day."

There's not much humor, though.

Hmm, it just occurred to me that I don't like this in about the same way I don't like LeGuin. If you like her work, maybe you should try this." ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
  jeremylukehill | Feb 9, 2011 |
Giant Bones is set in the world of the Innkeeper's Song. I set the book down when I got to the story "Lal and Soukyan," since it was not only a revisiting of the world of the Innkeeper's Song, but of major characters and I hadn't read the other book yet and didn't want to ruin things. Without giving anything away, it's a good idea to read Giant Bones second (or at least that story).

Overall, the stories were entertaining with one or two of the six a little weaker. My favorite by far was the title story being funny, filled with wonder and just a great story overall. Reminded me a little of The Princess Bride with the storyteller and audience interjecting now and then but that's where the humor was and it worked well. ( )
  Sean191 | Jan 10, 2011 |
Beautiful. That's about all I can say. ( )
  kaboomcju | Mar 2, 2008 |

Peter S. Beagleprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
DiTerlizza, TonyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Julie Fallowfield,
agent,
fellow connoisseur of truly dreadful poetry,
cherished friend,
with love.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451456513, Mass Market Paperback)

Nominated for the World Fantasy Award

Six breathtaking stories set in the bestselling world of The Inkeeper's Song.

The "best work yet" (Locus) from the award-winning author of The Last Unicorn

"Beagle is the class act of fantasy writing, the only contemporary to remind one of Tolkien, and, in his darker moments, Dineson...Beagle's fairy tales invoke comparison with yet another great name, the Brothers Grimm."--Booklist (starred review)

* Nominee, The Mythopoeic Awards
* Nominee, World Fantasy Award (Best Collection)
* Nominee, 1998 Best Books for the Teen Age
* Beagle is one of the most beloved, respected, and award-winning authors in fantasy today
* A selection of the Science Fiction Book Club
* Beagle is the bestselling author of The Innkeeper's Song, The Last Unicorn, and A Fine & Private Place

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:48 -0400)

49 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,719,354 books! | Top bar: Always visible