Take Your Shirt Off and Cry: A Memoir of…

Take Your Shirt Off and Cry: A Memoir of Near-Fame Experiences (edition 2009)

by Nancy Balbirer

Member:kgriffith
Title:Take Your Shirt Off and Cry: A Memoir of Near-Fame Experiences
Authors:Nancy Balbirer
Info:Bloomsbury USA (2009), Edition: 1, Paperback, 256 pages
Collections:Purged
Tags:a, ER

Take Your Shirt Off and Cry: A Memoir of Near-Fame Experiences by Nancy Balbirer

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
An easy enough read, but not terribly compelling. The author's storytelling is exactly what you'd expect at a dinner party with a number of people who could claim "near-fame." The editing was good, though, and the writing better than I expected.
  kgriffith | Jul 27, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is really entertaining and fun to read even though it deals with the painful struggle of trying to make it as actress in Hollywood. Nancy's portrayal of her experiences as an aspiring actress is candid and self-aware but most of all her perspective is always so funny! ( )
  BooGirl | Sep 16, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed this book. It wouldn’t be on the top of my list to read again, but overall it was humorous and a nice way to spend an afternoon. ( )
  stephivist | Feb 23, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Like others i really wanted to like this book. My theatre background makes me a little hungry for such autobiographies, but the author herself was more interested in herself (and her life was not all that compelling, than what was actually happening in her life. I found myself only reading a few pages at a time and trying to force myself to read through to the end of each chapter before putting it down (and after putting it down not picking it up again for days.) Maybe my disjointed reading led to some of my sense of disconnected chapters lacking continuity but i'm not entirely convinced. I'm also not sure how reliable of a narrator Balbirer is. ( )
  rampaginglibrarian | Feb 16, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I wanted to like this book, I really did. I received this book as part of the early reviewer program but it took me months to get through it because the author's life was just not all that fascinating. It started out strong with Balbirer describing the time she spent studying with Mamet, but there was no compelling narrative to tie subsequent incidents together. There was nothing there to make me feel for the author. She just wasn't all that likable. The stories involving Phil Hartman, Jennifer Aniston & Friends and Seinfeld felt dated. Had I read this book in 2000, maybe I would have enjoyed it more. Overall, I found it to be a huge disappointment. ( )
  CSMcMahon | Feb 15, 2010 |

A co-creator of Cause Celeb! shares tongue-in-cheek observations about life in show business, from the attitudes that put actresses at a disadvantage and her haphazard theatrical education to her big break during a Saturday Night Live audition and her experiences with a host of Hollywood eccentrics.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Nancy Balbirer's book Take Your Shirt Off and Cry was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,184,622 books! | Top bar: Always visible