The Boy Who Invented TV: The Story of Philo…

The Boy Who Invented TV: The Story of Philo Farnsworth (2009)

by Kathleen Krull

This biography was about Philo Farnsworth. This book was very interesting, as I did not know who Philo Farnsworth was! It discussed his life and his passion for science and his invention of the TV. The information was informative and also mentions how a TV actually works which was very interesting from my perspective. The illustrations were very detailed. I think kids would like this book because it discusses something that they are familiar with, Television! ( )
  sottallah | Apr 26, 2015 |
This was a beautifully illustrated and informative biography of Philo Farnsworth. I had never heard of Philo before and was amazed to learn his story and how enthusiastic he was about inventing and the "how" and "why" of things workings. It is sad that RCA cheated him out of recognition for his accomplishment, I love how it actually explained a bit how TV actually works. This would be a great book for the student with that driving interest in science. To let them know that, even at a young age, they are capable of accomplishing great things. There are teenagers developing apps and selling them for millions of dollars. STEM is where it's at. If you have a passion for it, pursue it!
Reading Level: 5.5 Interest Level: K-3 ( )
  TaraKennedy | Apr 12, 2015 |
I had mixed feelings about this book after reading it. I liked this book because of the illustrations. The illustrations are very detailed and enhance the story. For example when Philo and his father lay in the grass and gaze at the stars, instead of just showing them laying in the grass, they drew stars and constellations for the readers to see. I did not like the book for the writing. The author provided a large amount of information that is overwhelming for the reader. The pages have multiple paragraphs on one page. The message of the story is to learn about the man who invented tv and what he went through to get it in production. ( )
  egiddi1 | Mar 12, 2015 |
Good biography about the book who invented TV, Philo Farnsworth. Great way to start a history lesson, especially since its about TV...not many kids don't like to watch tv! ( )
  hart0521 | Feb 28, 2015 |
As someone who grew up sitting in front of a TV, I found this biography of the inventor of Television to be very relevant to my life for obvious reasons. I loved how the illustrations helped focus the information, and I thought that the information provided was not too complicated for the book's young readers. I would definitely use this as an example of a good biography if I were teaching a lit course. ( )
  kberryman44 | Dec 6, 2014 |

While rich in imagery the reason I might introduce this to a classroom might be as an introduction to a science unit or even to an art unit - as you never know where an invention or inspriation might come from. The idea being to challenge children to challenge themselves - to wach for these unanswered qusestions in life and to use all methods of knowledge gathering in order to help come up with answers.

An inspiring true story of a boy genius.

Plowing a potato field in 1920, a 14-year-old farm boy from Idaho saw in the parallel rows of overturned earth a way to “make pictures fly through the air.” This boy was not a magician; he was a scientific genius and just eight years later he made his brainstorm in the potato field a reality by transmitting the world’s first television image. This fascinating picture-book biography of Philo Farnsworth covers his early interest in machines and electricity, leading up to how he put it all together in one of the greatest inventions of the 20th century. The author’s afterword discusses the lawsuit Farnsworth waged and won against RCA when his high school science teacher testified that Philo’s invention of television was years before RCA’s.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:44 -0400)

This picture-book biography explains how Farnsworth held on to his dream to develop television and the scientific concepts behind it.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,908,445 books! | Top bar: Always visible