The Georges and the Jewels by Jane Smiley

The Georges and the Jewels

by Jane Smiley

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I found this book very enjoyable. The main character is a 7th grade girl and the events of the story are reported through her eyes and with her understanding. The book probably would be classed as Christian and YA or perhaps preteen. Christian because the protagonist's family is fundamental Christian, but the book is not preachy. These concepts are presented in a matter of fact, observational manner as anyone would describe how their parents handle and organize home life. School life seemed to be described as I remember it. I found the references to horse care, riding, and training to be realistic and show the proper behavior around horses. They further indicated the author's understanding of horses and familiarity of barn life. I found the book to be believable and it had a quite satisfactory ending. ( )
  clp2go | Nov 5, 2014 |
Exceptional story, as all of Jane Smiley's work is. ( )
  charlottem | Nov 3, 2014 |
Kids book about horses, family, parent's expectations. Really well done. I look forward to more in the series. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Very well written horse story that girls who love horse books will want to read and will remember this book. ( )
  librarian1204 | Apr 26, 2013 |
As with her adult novels I found myself drawn into the story, learning more and caring more about horses than I ever have and feeling Abby's struggles with peers, parents and life. Not sure if the 60's are considered historical fiction now but except for some references to events, the story is timeless. ( )
  lindap69 | Apr 5, 2013 |
I listened to this book with my 9 year old son, whom I am homeschooling.
Although the book took quite a while to pick up in pace, it was almost as though we were watching each and every part unravel! The book was very interesting and detailed, the most favorable part was how the author changed her voice, from mother, to father, to daughter and back again. For those who enjoy a good fictional book, and one in which is child friendly, I would certainly recommend this to every family. I tells a tail of a single horse in who was unfortunate to be different from all of the others. The father who was very disapproving of the horse at first begins to accept it as the horse shows his true talents and purpose. Moral of the story "Never judge a book by its cover"
added by Nchukym | editJust a regular book lover, nchukym Berry (Oct 28, 2014)

"The Georges and the Jewels" bears none of the signs of a literary writer slumming it for the kids -- no condescension, just the keen interest in what makes life tick that animates all of Smiley's fiction, but with a seventh-grade narrator. I have never admired her writing as much as I do in the first of what promises to be a series of books for children.

Sometimes when you fall off your horse, you just don't want to get right back on.

Seventh-grader Abby Lovitt grows up on her family's California horse ranch in the 1960s, learning to train the horses her father sells and trying to reconcile her strict religious upbringing with her own ideas about life.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Georges and the Jewels (The Horses of Oak Valley Ranch) by Jane Smiley was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,372,683 books! | Top bar: Always visible