Dark Entries by Ian Rankin

Dark Entries (2009)

by Ian Rankin, Werther Dell'Edera (Illustrator)

English (21)  Dutch (1)  All (22)
Book Description
HELLBLAZER's John Constantine must become part of HAUNTED PALACE -- a closed-set reality game-show (think BIG BROTHER or SCI-FI's new reality show, ESTATE OF PANIC) in order to deal with a supernatural murder of one of the contestants. He enters as a 'surprise' contestant and meets the other participants, learning that they all have secrets and that one of them must be 'channeling' poltergeists and/or be the murderer.

However, John soon learns that he is in fact in a game-show which is being broadcast only to the denizens of Hell, who have chosen him to be the next contestant. Now he has to figure out who's the killer but also how to escape with his own soul in one piece.

Book Review
This is a black and white graphic crime/mystery novel and not one of my favorite genres. It was akin to reading a long comic strip. The main character, John Constantine, apparently is a DC Comic character with his own series. This is the first graphic novel by Ian Rankin and was a very quick read but I think I enjoy his Rebus books better. I didn't realize this was a graphic novel when I ordered it but read it anyway in order to check out the genre and the artwork. The plot was unique as Constantine becomes a contestant on a reality TV show called "Haunted Mansion". I did enjoy some of the humor and would recommend this book to those who enjoy graphic novels. ( )
  EadieB | Sep 21, 2016 |
Paranormal Investigator John Constantine is approached by a reality tv producer to be an additional contestant in a haunted house show. The show has already begun airing with six contestants, but weird stuff is happening that the production crew has nothing to do with. Constantine is paid a hefty sum to go in as a mole and find out what is really going on, all in front of millions of viewers. ( )
  mstrust | Apr 21, 2016 |
Okay, not well drawn and the Big Brother pisstake plot is average. Not Ian Rankin's best book by a long way. ( )
  Superenigmatix | Jan 16, 2016 |
Paranormal investigator John Constantine is convinced - against his better judgment - to look into the case of a reality TV show about fear in which the set appears to actually be haunted. Stuck inside the house with six wannabe celebrities, Constantine finds out some unsettling truths and is haunted by his own past.

Written by crime novelist Ian Rankin, Dark Entries appealed to me because it's always interesting to me when a 'traditional' novelist tries his or her hand at a graphic novel. I've never actually read any of Rankin's works before, so I can't compare this entry (no pun intended) to his previous canon, but it was an entertaining, well-plotted read. Despite being a John Constantine book, this title pretty much stands alone. It references events from his past (although I have no idea if these actually took place in a previous Constantine book), which are explained fully enough here that the reader is never lost. With so many comics becoming increasingly integrated with each other as well as with movies and TV shows, it's refreshing to pick up something that needs no further explanation beyond itself.

The character relationships being built and the mystery at the beginning of this book were intriguing; the plot lost my attention grip a little bit as it delved into the more ridiculous once Constantine figured out what was going on behind the scenes at the TV show. Of course, with John Constantine being an occult investigator, this reveal was perhaps not that strange ...

The illustrations were the low point for me. They are relatively simple and basic - all black and white, not a lot of detail, sometimes not even a lot of distinction between the characters. All of the women wear skintight clothing out of which their busts or their bottoms pop out, and this tends to be a focal point in at least one panel per woman. Sad to see such blatant sexism in a book that is otherwise free of it. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Jun 6, 2015 |
Rankin brings a new spin to the character, placing him in a far different setting than the usual seedy London streets where we would expect to find Constantine. But while Dark Entries proves to be effective as a new Hellblazer adventure, it also works as a telling commentary on the current state of popular culture without even a hint of a lecturing tone.

Ian Rankinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dell'Edera, WertherIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Early evening in anytown...

Occult detective John Constantine has seem many strange things in his career, but the horrors of "reality television" are a new genre. When in the "Haunted Mansion", a hot new show on TV, the house itself starts attacking the contestants, Constantine must figure out who, or what, is pulling the strings in this macabre situation, before it becomes his last investigation.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,730,982 books! | Top bar: Always visible